More inane trivia!

Jeremy Crowhurst

Re: More inane trivia!

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Michigan. Drew Henson, drafted in 1998 by the New York Yankees, first start 2004. Tom Brady, drafted in 1995 by the Expos, first appearance in 2000, though first start not until 2001.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:Michigan. Drew Henson, drafted in 1998 by the New York Yankees, first start 2004. Tom Brady, drafted in 1995 by the Expos, first appearance in 2000, though first start not until 2001.
But Michigan has it's share of NFL starting QBs who were drafted: Jim Harbaugh, Elvis Grbac, Todd Collins, Brian Griese and Chad Henne.
Jeremy Crowhurst

Teo wrote:
Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:Michigan. Drew Henson, drafted in 1998 by the New York Yankees, first start 2004. Tom Brady, drafted in 1995 by the Expos, first appearance in 2000, though first start not until 2001.
But Michigan has it's share of NFL starting QBs who were drafted: Jim Harbaugh, Elvis Grbac, Todd Collins, Brian Griese and Chad Henne.
Ya, true, but somewhere in the question there's a problem.

Maybe they were drafted by the NHL. Anybody know of any quarterbacks who were great at winning faceoffs?
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

The question didn't say that they were the ONLY two quarterbacks from their college to be drafted.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

That's the way I read it too. But it did say that they were drafted by the NFL. The different approaches I've made haven't worked out-- Joe Namath was drafted by the NFL in 1965; but he didn't actually play in the NFL until after the merger in 1970. On the other hand, I couldn't find any other Alabama quarterback who had been drafted by the NFL and went six years before playing there. Ditto with Otto Graham, who was picked in the 1944 NFL draft but was in the AAFC until 1950, six years later; I couldn't find another Northwestern U. quarterback who had to wait that long either. Joe Kapp didn't play in the NFL until something like 9 years after he was drafted, because he played Canadian football for several years, but the question refers to five years and six years, so I didn't check on the California players. We've been told it wasn't Annapolis, and I couldn't find anyone from West Point or the Air Force Academy who fit the bill. I'm stumped.
Jeremy Crowhurst

Mark L. Ford wrote:That's the way I read it too. But it did say that they were drafted by the NFL. The different approaches I've made haven't worked out-- Joe Namath was drafted by the NFL in 1965; but he didn't actually play in the NFL until after the merger in 1970. On the other hand, I couldn't find any other Alabama quarterback who had been drafted by the NFL and went six years before playing there. Ditto with Otto Graham, who was picked in the 1944 NFL draft but was in the AAFC until 1950, six years later; I couldn't find another Northwestern U. quarterback who had to wait that long either. Joe Kapp didn't play in the NFL until something like 9 years after he was drafted, because he played Canadian football for several years, but the question refers to five years and six years, so I didn't check on the California players. We've been told it wasn't Annapolis, and I couldn't find anyone from West Point or the Air Force Academy who fit the bill. I'm stumped.
Aaaaahhhh, the question DOESN'T actually say drafted by the NFL. That's the plain meaning of the sentence, but not necessarily the only meaning. It can't be the NFL (or AFL) draft, there aren't two QBs that fit.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

In that case, I know of two guys from the University of Washington Huskies who became NFL starting quarterbacks 5 years and 9 years after they were drafted, and neither of them was Warren Moon (six years after graduation, but the CFL doesn't have a draft and the NFL didn't pick him either).
Jeremy Crowhurst

Locker and Tuiasosopo?
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:Locker and Tuiasosopo?
Close-- Jake Locker and Mark Brunell. Brunell was drafted as a pitcher by the Atlanta Braves in 1985, and played for the Green Packers in 1994 before going on to better things with the Jaguars. Locker was originally drafted by the Angels in 2006 and even played some minor league ball in Bellingham WA as an outfielder, before starting with the Titans in 2011. Tuiasosopo took only four years to get to the NFL after being picked by the Twins in 1997 (though he didn't start a game for the Raiders until 2003).
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Hint: the two QBs combined for 154 passing TDs in the NFL