1943 Lions v. Redskins footage (color)

Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Re: 1943 Lions v. Redskins footage (color)

Post by Ken Crippen »

Reaser wrote:
SoCal Fan wrote:it looked to me that he was better as an offensive tackle. What is your opinion on which side of the ball was his better position?
Yes, OT. Specifically pass blocking/protection where he's excellent. Though - naturally with his size - he could get off balance at times. Usually recovered though, at least on what I've seen.
Here is the scouting report that Reaser and I put together on Rymkus:

http://www.kencrippen.com/Scouting-Repo ... us_Lou.pdf
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

What would one call the formation in which the Lions open the game (or clip)?

They are in a balanced line with the left end split about two yards wide. The linemen linemen splits seem to be about a yard apart.

The right (strong) side has the end split about 5 yards wide with a flanker (?) a yard behind him and just to his inside.

The backfield has a tailback at about shotgun depth (direct snap to him) with a halfback just to his right (strong) side.

Another back (quarterback?) appears to have started behind the right guard and goes in motion outside the end.

It's fun to see the power sweep run from this formation... whatever it may be...
Is this just some variation on the "T"?
It doesn't look like the variations of single- or double-wing formations with which I am familiar...
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

I think the formation is the single wing. The back you called a flanker would be the wingback (one of the halfbacks), and the one stationed behind the guard would the blocking back (usually called the quarterback, depending on the team's terminology). That's the way it looks to me, anyway.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Yes; the Single-Wing, as Bob Gill states, and exactly as Juggs describes except the HB was known as the FB, (usually a 1/2 step closer to the LoS.) It was the formation used by Dick Kazmaier to run to the Heisman Trophy.
Kazmaier earned 17 letters in high school. He was a long-time member of the Boston Gridiron Club and passed away two years ago this coming August.

At 5 feet 11 inches and 171 pounds, Kazmaier looked too fragile to play high-level college football, especially in a single-wing offense that favored bruising 2-on-1 blocking. Still, he succeeded in the triple-threat role of runner, passer and punter.

As a junior and senior, he led Princeton to undefeated seasons and was named to most all-American teams. As a senior, in separate player-of-the-year polls, he won the Heisman Trophy, the Maxwell Award and the Walter Camp Trophy. He was voted the Associated Press athlete of the year in 1951 - ahead of Ben Hogan and Stan Musial.

But football was not the focus of his life. When Princeton’s dean of students told him he had won the Heisman Trophy, he recalled: “I thought it was nice. Then I went back to class.”

_ New York Times
Attachments
dk.jpg
dk.jpg (118.75 KiB) Viewed 15166 times
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

oldecapecod 11 wrote:Dick Kazmaier
Another guy, along with someone like Nile Kinnick, who I wonder about how he would have done in pro football.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by Reaser » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:41 pm
oldecapecod 11 wrote:
Dick Kazmaier
"... along with someone like Nile Kinnick, who I wonder about how he would have done in pro football."

Neither Kinnick nor Kazmaier could have done any worse than these guys: Andre Ware, Ty Detmer, Gino Torretta, Charlie Ward, Danny Wuerffel, Chris Weinke, Eric Crouch, Carson Palmer, Jason White, Matt Leinart, Troy Smith or Tim Tebow.
And, these are just Heisman quarterbacks.
~ Arnie Weinmeister
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Reaser wrote:
oldecapecod 11 wrote:Dick Kazmaier
Another guy, along with someone like Nile Kinnick, who I wonder about how he would have done in pro football.
Interestingly, Kinnick played catcher on an American Legion baseball team where one of the pitchers was a gent named Bob Feller. :shock:
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

oldecapecod 11 wrote:Neither Kinnick nor Kazmaier could have done any worse than these guys: Andre Ware, Ty Detmer, Gino Torretta, Charlie Ward, Danny Wuerffel, Chris Weinke, Eric Crouch, Carson Palmer, Jason White, Matt Leinart, Troy Smith or Tim Tebow.
And, these are just Heisman quarterbacks.
Carson Palmer is a ridiculous inclusion on this list. He's been in the NFL for 11 years so far, and has passed for more than 35,000 yards, with 224 touchdowns against only 91 interceptions. I think it's a reasonable bet that he's thrown for more yards and more TDs than all the other guys on your list put together. How in the world did you manage to put him in this group?
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by Bob Gill » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:58 pm
"Carson Palmer is a ridiculous inclusion on this list. He's been in the NFL for 11 years so far, and has passed for more than 35,000 yards, with 224 touchdowns against only 91 interceptions. I think it's a reasonable bet that he's thrown for more yards and more TDs than all the other guys on your list put together. How in the world did you manage to put him in this group?"

It is a bit like your falsely attributing a quote. It is (was) a mistake.
Some names were removed from a longer list and one was missed.
So, you can light the "E" for Error on your scoreboard and rest easy.
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

OK. If I ever falsely attribute a quote, I'll remember that.