Senior Nominees for Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2016

paulksandiego

Re: Senior Nominees for Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2

Post by paulksandiego »

Isiah Robertson and Robert Brazile seem to have been forgotten, and even worse, Chuck Howley! Howley is THE very first guy I would put in the Hall if they allowed me, followed by Dilweg, Wistert, Stanfel and Johnny Robinson.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

paulksandiego wrote:Isiah Robertson and Robert Brazile seem to have been forgotten, and even worse, Chuck Howley! Howley is THE very first guy I would put in the Hall if they allowed me, followed by Dilweg, Wistert, Stanfel and Johnny Robinson.
The play were Earl Campbell runs over Isiah Robertson is shown endlessly, Campbell gets featured often in Top 10 shows. I think Robertson flattened Campbell elsewhere in the game. The Rams won anyway.

Isiah Robertson wore out his welcome with the Rams by 1978 and was traded to Buffalo. He wasn't on the 1979 Super Bowl team.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

LJP wrote:Joe Fortunato was overshadowed at the Bears by George Connor, Bill George and then Dick Butkus, but was a 5-time Pro Bowler and 3-time All-Pro. 16 career Ints and 22 FRs.
I'm fine with Fortunato (3/5/50s) for the HoF. I have him 4th on the Senior OLB depth chart behind Chuck Howley (5/6/none), Maxie Baughan (5/9/none), and Robert Brazile (5/7/70s), about even with Larry Grantham at 5/5/AllAFL. The position is neglected in relation to MLBs, so I'm fine with all five bring elected.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Since some of the minds here are the most knowledgeable in the land concerning this matter, there is little doubt that this august body will be capable of presesenting the right candidates to the Hall of Fame selection people.
Among the group that seems the most qualified - in alphabetical order - are Ken Crippen, Ralph Hickok, Matt Reaser and tj troup with maybe Bob Gill and John Maxymuk a close fifth and sixth.
One might think our President-elect will appoint a Chair or even assume the role him- or herself but, if not, then it will be incumbent upon those interested to attend to the matter.
Frankly, there could be no better person than Ken who has the working relationships with so many NFL and media personnel and the files and data to support just the right people.

The opinion here is that we must select those two or three candidates we intend to champion and then do as directed by our chairman to deliver our message to as many people in as many endeavors as our chair deems necessary. Yes; this will cause some to ignore their own personal favorites but it will be for the common good and remember "Tomorrow is another day."
In this regard, "tomorrow" might be critical.

Because of the stupidity of the election process, you must keep in mind that next year there will be but ONE senior spot.
Therefore, the person we leave behind this year will likely require an even more concerted effort in the days ahead.
Bending to the majority will is not, in any way, tucking your tail.
It is simply promoting a viable candidate and doing so under the banner of the PFRA.

Thus, we achieve two successes:
worthy individuals get their just reward; and, the PFRA is further recognized as the "Go-To" body of football history and lore.

Focus: TWO plus ONE
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

oldecapecod 11 wrote:Since some of the minds here are the most knowledgeable in the land concerning this matter, there is little doubt that this august body will be capable of presesenting the right candidates to the Hall of Fame selection people.
Among the group that seems the most qualified - in alphabetical order - are Ken Crippen, Ralph Hickok, Matt Reaser and tj troup with maybe Bob Gill and John Maxymuk a close fifth and sixth.
One might think our President-elect will appoint a Chair or even assume the role him- or herself but, if not, then it will be incumbent upon those interested to attend to the matter.
Frankly, there could be no better person than Ken who has the working relationships with so many NFL and media personnel and the files and data to support just the right people.

The opinion here is that we must select those two or three candidates we intend to champion and then do as directed by our chairman to deliver our message to as many people in as many endeavors as our chair deems necessary. Yes; this will cause some to ignore their own personal favorites but it will be for the common good and remember "Tomorrow is another day."
In this regard, "tomorrow" might be critical.

Because of the stupidity of the election process, you must keep in mind that next year there will be but ONE senior spot.
Therefore, the person we leave behind this year will likely require an even more concerted effort in the days ahead.
Bending to the majority will is not, in any way, tucking your tail.
It is simply promoting a viable candidate and doing so under the banner of the PFRA.

Thus, we achieve two successes:
worthy individuals get their just reward; and, the PFRA is further recognized as the "Go-To" body of football history and lore.

Focus: TWO plus ONE
I will be working on this again this year, pushing the PFRA candidates and being a resource for the selectors.

Approximate timeline:
-In early April, I will be contacting the HOF to get the players listed on the ballot.
-In late May, I will contact the selectors to discuss the candidates.
-The ballot is sent to the selectors the end of May/beginning of June.
-In early June, I will contact the selectors again.
-The ballot is usually due back at the HOF by July 31.
-In August, I will work with the selectors to get them any information available on players.
-The five selectors chosen for the year usually meet in Canton the third week in August. We should find out the candidates by around Wednesday of that week.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Mac Speedie, or is it too late for him.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

Saban wrote:Mac Speedie, or is it too late for him.
Speedie is one of the PFRA candidates (Wistert, Dilweg and Slater are the others). However, his chances are slim.

The one thing that worked against him was career length. However, since Dick Stanfel was put up (twice, I believe), that argument does not carry much water if made by a selector. Speedie played in more games than Stanfel. So, if Stanfel's career is long enough and worthy of consideration, so is Speedie's.

Dick Stanfel: 74 Games
Mac Speedie: 86 Games

Wistert and Dilweg have the best shot at induction, followed by Slater. All three face an uphill battle.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Ken Crippen wrote:
Speedie is one of the PFRA candidates (Wistert, Dilweg and Slater are the others). However, his chances are slim.

The one thing that worked against him was career length. However, since Dick Stanfel was put up (twice, I believe), that argument does not carry much water if made by a selector. Speedie played in more games than Stanfel. So, if Stanfel's career is long enough and worthy of consideration, so is Speedie's.

Wistert and Dilweg have the best shot at induction, followed by Slater. All three face an uphill battle.

Thanks Ken. I hope that Speedie's playing four years in the All-America Conference is not held against him.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Ken Crippen wrote:Speedie is one of the PFRA candidates (Wistert, Dilweg and Slater are the others)
The fact sheets that we (Committee) put together in the past for the four players are available in the Members Only section under "PFRA Hall of Fame Senior Fact Sheets".
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

Saban wrote:
Ken Crippen wrote:

Thanks Ken. I hope that Speedie's playing four years in the All-America Conference is not held against him.
It will for some.