Peter King Top 20 Games of All Time c. 1997

rockhawk

Re: Peter King Top 20 Games of All Time c. 1997

Post by rockhawk »

Yeah, the lists certainly leans towards historically significant games, as opposed to actual great games. I'd say unless you were a Bears fan the '40 NFL Championship was anything but a great game.

A big omission IMO is the '45 NFL Championship. That was both a good game and historically significant.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I would also have to include the 1979 Week 16 Washington Dallas game. I've come to the conclusion that this game is probably the greatest regular season game in NFL history, as far as the stakes involved, the great performances, and the exciting game itself, the 35-34 double comeback game has to be at the top. I would also put the 1958 Giants Browns game with the Summerall FG in the snow to forge a tie for the Eastern Division on the short list. Also the 1984 Week 16 Washington-St. Louis game would be in my top five among regular season games of the post-merger era.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Retro Rider wrote:"NFL Top 40," by Shelby Strother (1988) - includes boxscores
This was/is a great book. Strother had an interesting writing style...it wasn't simply a Sporting News rehash of the game play-by-play. The boxscores were a great addition at the time (especially for the older games), because that info wasn't really available. I also thought Strother's list itself was pretty accurate in terms of getting the top 40 NFL games of all-time.