Six interceptions in a game (caught, not thrown)

RichS

Re: Six interceptions in a game (caught, not thrown)

Post by RichS »

Teo wrote:In 1983, the USFL first season, Chicago Blitz (and former Detroit Lion CB) Luther Bradley intercepted six passes against the Tampa Bay Bandits. Bradley was moved to safety by Gorge Allen.

http://fs64sports.blogspot.mx/2011/04/1 ... asses.html
Well, it's pro football. So it counts. Wish USFL stats were loaded into sites like Pro Football Reference.

Fitting that the six INTs would come from a George Allen team.
RichS

Post by RichS »

oldecapecod 11 wrote:Great Photo too John. Thanx...
Just for the record... Is that a Longines or a Benrus?
If I had to guess, I would say Longines.
That is a great photo. Unlike many old photographs, this one seems crisp, sharp, like it was taken yesterday.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

I remember Bobby Dan Dillon intercepting 4 of Bobby Layne's passes in a Thanksgiving Day game.
coachtj

Post by coachtj »

....bobby dan should have had a 5th...near the sideline, and the official ruled him out of bounds? injured in the game, ending his season with nine interceptions. of all the interception "streaks"....dave baker in a three game stretch intercepted 9 passes.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Totally from distant memory but didn't Chuck Clanton have a huge 1985 USFL season? Maybe 16 picks in the 18 games. Would still be fewer per game than the Night Train, but awfully impressive nonetheless. I believe other USFL records that would've exceeded NFL equivalents were single season Rushing yards (Walker in 85), Receptions (Richard Johnson in 84), Passing Yards (Kelly in 84) Sacks (Corker in 83), etc. Would be interesting to go back and see how many would have been records on a per game basis, or how many would have exceeded the record through 16 games.

I do think if, god forbid, the NFL ever goes to 18 games they'll have to restate records to be on a per game basis. How might Dickerson feel having his rushing record taken away!
mwald

Post by mwald »

Could be misremembering but I think at the time Marino held the single season record for passing TDs, Jim Kelly's single season TD record in the USFL was higher.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Bud Grant picked off 5 in a CFL game, playoff game,. I think
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

mwald wrote:Could be misremembering but I think at the time Marino held the single season record for passing TDs, Jim Kelly's single season TD record in the USFL was higher.
It actually went the other way around. Kelly threw 44 TD passes in the spring of 1984 with Houston of the USFL, and then Marino threw 48 that fall.
mwald

Post by mwald »

Thanks for the clarification. I remember being stunned at Kelly's USFL total at the time, and how little fanfare it received.

It's interesting how Kelly and Marino's careers kind of mirrored each other. Both held TD records in their respective leagues, both ended up playing in the same division in the NFL, both were burdened with defenses that didn't match their offenses (although the Bills had better defenses than Miami), and both were great but didn't quite get over that championship hump.