Players who played H.S., college, pro ball in same city

LJP

Re: Players who played H.S., college, pro ball in same city

Post by LJP »

The Bears have had a number of locals...

Johnny Bryan > born in Chicago / La Grange HS / Chicago / Cardinals (1920), Bears (1923-27)
Paddy Driscoll > born in Evanston / Evanston Township HS / Northwestern / Cardinals (1920), Staleys (1920), Cardinals (1921-25) & Bears (1926-29)
Bob Koehler > born in Chicago / Wendell Phillips HS in Chicago / Northwestern / Staleys (1920) & Cardinals (1921-26)
Ralph King > born in Chicago / University HS in Chicago / Chicago / Bears (1925)
Luke Johnsos > born in Chicago / Carl Schurz HS in Chicago / Northwestern / Bears (1929-36)
George Wilson > born in Chicago / Austin HS in Chicago / Northwestern / Bears (1937-46)
Pug Rentner > born in Joliet / Farragut HS in Chicago / Northwestern / Bears (1937)
Sollie Sherman > born in Chicago / John Marshall HS in Chicago / Chicago / Bears (1939-40)
Alf Bauman > born in Chicago / Austin HS / Northwestern / Rockets (1947) & Bears (1948-50)
Bill deCorrevont > born in Chicago / Austin HS / Northwestern / Cardinals (1947) & Bears (1948-49)
Ralph Jecha / born in Summit / Argo HS in Summit / Northwestern / Bears (1955)
John Damore > born in Riverside / Riverside HS / Northwestern / Bears (1957 & 59)
Tony Ardizzone > born in La Grange / St. Joseph HS in Westchester / Northwestern / Bears (1979)
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Art Graham - Somerville (next to Cambridge across the Charles,) Boston College, Boston Patriots
(Gets extra credit because his Father played part of one season with the Red Sox)

-----

Jim Whalen - Cambridge Rindge and Latin HS, Boston College, Boston Patriots
The only player ever to catch 3 TD passes in both a college game and professional game at Boston College Alumni Stadium
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Something tells me most franchises could claim at least a handful of these. For example, Milt Sunde, Mark Dusbabek, Noel Jenke, Doug Kingsriter and several other former Vikings played at the University of Minnesota and went to high school somewhere in the state.

Former Vikings LB Pete Najarian played every home game of his life within about a five-mile radius (Minneapolis Central H.S., U of M, Vikings).
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by Citizen » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:41 am
"Something tells me most franchises could claim at least a handful of these..."

We have already seen that with the state of Illinois and I expect someone will chime in with a listing from the other older franchises - the Browns and the Lions and the Steelers. I think the Giants will be lacking because of the small number of schools in the city that played Football: Columbia, Fordham, Manhattan, Iona, Brooklyn, etc and most of them only for a while. Okay - King's Point too, and Adelphi, Hofstra and C.W. Post on the Island.
Likely, there will be more from metro-Phillie. The left coast surely has many than have not been named yet. I am not familiar with the other AFL teams but I bet some followed Billy Sullivan's practice of trying to get local players to build an immediate fan base.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

An interesting side note: Lin Houston played for Massillon (OH) High School, Ohio State, and the Cleveland Browns. Paul Brown was the only coach he ever had.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Jack Butler .- HS in Pittsburgh, St. Bonaventure, Pittsburgh Steelers
St. Bonaventure is in Olean, NY. Although it may feel like you're in the Pittsburgh area there since I think there's far more Steelers fans than Bills fans in southwestern NY. :)
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
Jack Butler .- HS in Pittsburgh, St. Bonaventure, Pittsburgh Steelers
St. Bonaventure is in Olean, NY. Although it may feel like you're in the Pittsburgh area there since I think there's far more Steelers fans than Bills fans in southwestern NY. :)

Ooops! My bad, I confused St. Bonaventure with Duquesne :oops:

It's interesting that there are few Steelers who were born at Pittsburgh and that played college football at Pitt. One of them is fomer 1st round bust OL Tom Ricketts
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Don Meredith didn't play high school football in Dallas but played at SMU before his Cowboy career. Over 40 years ago I read "Dallas Cowboys Pro or Con?" The author of this 1970 book was Dallas sportswriter Sam Blair. For nearly half a century, Dallas Cowboy books have been published, and this wasn't the first. Steve Perkins put out the first one I recall a year earlier.

Blair wrote that people in Dallas became tired of hearing about Meredith. He was heavily publicized at SMU before his pro career in the same city and the fans didn't think he was all that great a player. Of course if the Cowboys had beaten the Packers in the Ice Bowl or in 1966 it would have been different.
rockhawk

Post by rockhawk »

Most of Curly Lambeau's football career (player, coach, manager) was all in Green Bay with the exception of one year at Notre Dame.

A few more:
Derrick Brooks - Florida
Dick Butkus - Illinois
Archie Griffin - Ohio
Charles Rogers - Michigan

I'm also pretty sure that Paul Brown spent all of his coaching career in Ohio with the exception of a brief stint at Great Lakes Naval Station.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

Most of your teams from the 1920s and early 1930s were pretty much home-grown teams.