Football History

JeffreyMiller

Football History

Post by JeffreyMiller »

I like football history. It's fun.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Reaser

Re: Football History

Post by Reaser »

JeffreyMiller wrote:I like football history. It's fun.
Football is the best.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Probably like many I was attracted to history first through school and to the "big events" of History... usually wars.
For decades I've read and reread books about wars and famines and plagues and crusades and holocausts and...

It's nice to study history in which (hardly) anyone dies and man's inhumanity to man is (usually) confined to an elbow to the solar plexus or a knee to the groin.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Football is a war - a 60-minute battle for man's most basic possession: land.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

oldecapecod 11 wrote:Football is a war - a 60-minute battle for man's most basic possession: land.
No.
Football is a physical game which can be compared to war in that both involve control of territory (and probably dozens of other metaphorical similarities).

I played sandlot for 20+ years but I would never compare my bravery to someone who actually served in combat.
All this "football is war" and "battle in the trenches" stuff is hyperbole.

Besides, a football game would actually be a battle and the season the war. ;)
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

JeffreyMiller wrote:I like football history. It's fun.
That beats the hell out of "test"....

:D
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

My father was a lay military historian, he never went to college or served in the military but he knew about every battle in history, who won, who lost, and why, along with the uniforms each army wore. He also played war games where he would paint hundreds of tiny little military figures in their respective colors and he and his buddies would get all their figures together and recreate battles on the dining room floor. He often appeared on local television and was consulted by college history professors due to his knowledge of military history, but he never made a penny at it as he was a draftsman by trade. He always said he would write a book, and when he died all that knowledge he had acquired died with him. I got the history bug from him, although my interest in history went in a different direction than his, and he never really understood my interest in Baseball and Football history. I have always been determined that the knowledge of Football history I have will not die with me, I will move the ball forward, so to speak, and publish what I have learned, and if everything works out, I would make every effort to make a living at it.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

Rupert Patrick wrote:I have always been determined that the knowledge of Football history I have will not die with me, I will move the ball forward, so to speak, and publish what I have learned