'93 LA Raiders

74_75_78_79_

'93 LA Raiders

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I forgot the details about that squad until just now. I wasn't even sure if Art Shell was still at the helm. I remember their wild card win vs Denver and remember James Jett (and the good game he had) but forgot all about them playing at Buffalo the following week yet alone actually giving them a good game (leading 17-6 2nd Q and in the lead after 3). I guess it was Hoss's best year as a QB. Wasn't aware it was Howie's last year as well. I remember watching him in his final game, the Pro Bowl, but always thought that was after the '92 season.

I guess this was considered the Raiders' 'last hurrah' as far as their time in LA is concerned. The only thing I remember about the following year was they getting belted in the MNF opener at San Fran (Jerry Rice TD record, sun actually still out beginning of game) and literally sacked late in the season home vs Pittsburgh, 21-3 (game appearing on the next SI cover). I always assumed they finished below-500 instead of 9-7. I also remember that paper-tiger/back-in-Oakland 8-2 start in '95 under Mike White but that's about it until the Gruden era.

Would anyone in here consider this '93 Raider installment the best in the Shell era despite finishing 10-6 (instead of 12-4) and no AFCCG berth? Or do they not having Bo Jackson nor Marcus and the fact that Buffalo wasn't nearly as good in '93 as they were 3 years earlier give the '90 squad the nod? I would think so despite that, IMO, they weren't all that special in '90 either. Was going to also mention '93 Raiders getting swept by KC, but wasn't that also the case in '90?
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockhawk

Re: '93 LA Raiders

Post by rockhawk »

I thought the '90 Raiders were better. The '93 Raiders had their moments, but for the most part they were living on the edge. Nine of their 11 victories were by a touchdown or less. I also remember them laying an egg in Green Bay late in the year. Their offense had only one dimension: Hostetler to Brown.

Although the Raiders did give a valiant effort in that frigid playoff game in Buffalo. If I recall correctly they held the lead at halftime. Tim Brown's dash to the end zone is still one of my favorite Raiders memories.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

rockhawk wrote:Although the Raiders did give a valiant effort in that frigid playoff game in Buffalo. If I recall correctly they held the lead at halftime. Tim Brown's dash to the end zone is still one of my favorite Raiders memories.
The weather was much like the Red Right 88 game of 13 years before in which the Raiders escaped and then went on to win the Super Bowl.
rockhawk

Post by rockhawk »

The temperature at kickoff was 0°F with a nasty wind chill of -20°F. By halftime the temp. dropped to -1°F making it the only subzero-weather game of the '90s. By any measure it a was brutal day.

The previous week the Raiders played in 73-degree weather at the L.A. Coliseum. Not quite the downswing in temp. the Chargers had from the Epic in Miami to the Freezer Bowl, but it was still quite a change in weather for the Raiders.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Although the Raiders did give a valiant effort in that frigid playoff game in Buffalo. If I recall correctly they held the lead at halftime.
I distinctly remember this game. I was working at the dining hall in college in Rochester and got called in to work the Saturday lunch shift... during the game. :( I was fully expecting a blowout because of the LA team having to deal with the frigid temps and 51-3 in the AFCC game from a few years back still in recent memory. I was surprised the game was as close as it was which made me more bummed I didn't get to see it.
ssuddeth

Post by ssuddeth »

I suppose this is as good as any time for my first post.
I have two memories of the 93 Raiders. One is the complete lack of a reliable running game in 1993. I see that Greg Robinson lead the team with 591 yards on the ground. The other thing is, to no surprise of anyone, the three wide outs that complemented Tim Brown. Jett, Raghib Ismail, and Alex Wright were speed merchants. I had forgotten that Willie Gault was also on that team.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

ssuddeth wrote:I suppose this is as good as any time for my first post.
I have two memories of the 93 Raiders. One is the complete lack of a reliable running game in 1993. I see that Greg Robinson lead the team with 591 yards on the ground. The other thing is, to no surprise of anyone, the three wide outs that complemented Tim Brown. Jett, Raghib Ismail, and Alex Wright were speed merchants. I had forgotten that Willie Gault was also on that team.
Please post more - I always encourage that. I love 90's as much as 50's, we often just come here so we have someone to talk to about the 50's.