Greatest MNF Comeback

74_75_78_79_

Re: Greatest MNF Comeback

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:In 1988, I think that the Raiders were down 24-7 to the Broncos before coming back and winning it in OT.
Before looking it up just now for a refresher, I do indeed remember watching the game in my room on my little b&w TV. It being the end of high school, I was allowed to have a TV in my room as well as being able to watch an entire MNF game. All I remember was Shanny as Raiders' HC and feeling he didn't seem like a fit for them. I also remember newly-acquired Dorsett playing for Denver. However I had to look things up just now to remember that it was a big comeback and that...Jay Schroeder was actually starting for LA already, ended up actually engineering the big comeback, and that Steve Beuerlein was a rookie as well as being a Raider also. Schroeder...he seemed an even LESSER fit as a Raider than Shanahan, even WITH the 'Schroeder the Raider' nic. But he was the hero that night, actually (from what I just came across) leading them back from 0-24 down at the half (everyone apparently turned TV off to see Olympics in Seoul).
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:In 1988, I think that the Raiders were down 24-7 to the Broncos before coming back and winning it in OT.
Before looking it up just now for a refresher, I do indeed remember watching the game in my room on my little b&w TV. It being the end of high school, I was allowed to have a TV in my room as well as being able to watch an entire MNF game. All I remember was Shanny as Raiders' HC and feeling he didn't seem like a fit for them. I also remember newly-acquired Dorsett playing for Denver. However I had to look things up just now to remember that it was a big comeback and that...Jay Schroeder was actually starting for LA already, ended up actually engineering the big comeback, and that Steve Beuerlein was a rookie as well as being a Raider also. Schroeder...he seemed an even LESSER fit as a Raider than Shanahan, even WITH the 'Schroeder the Raider' nic. But he was the hero that night, actually (from what I just came across) leading them back from 0-24 down at the half (everyone apparently turned TV off to see Olympics in Seoul).
I remember watching the rest of that one after coming home from a JV football game (we had our games every Monday). I just couldn't believe what happened. Denver had a bad time on MNF that year with the blown lead and the yards that ED would hang on them that Halloween.

Speaking of the Colts, though, what about the Joe Washington game in 1978?
Byron

Post by Byron »

In 1983, Dallas began the season on MNF against defending champ Washington. The Cowboys were down 23-3 at half but won the game 31-30.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Don't know any off top of my head that can top what seems to be 'the Holy Trinity' of MNF comebacks - Oak/NO '79, Jets/Mia '00, Indy/TB '03. Not sure if this would match either these three anyway, but here's an 'almost' MNF comeback for what it's worth. Remember Neil O'Donnell's "coming out" party, of sorts, in '91 at home vs defending-Champ Giants?

Coming in for Bubby Brister end of 3rd Q and down 0-20, #14 rallied the Steelers to 20-20 with less than a minute to go in regulation. Eric Green, who scored the game-tying TD, was penalized along with teammates, Louis Lipps and Dwight Stone, for illegally celebrating in the end-zone. Jim Finks, rules chief, himself would confess days later that the call should not have been made in that particular case. In either event, Pittsburgh had to kick from their own 30 but the real issue was that it went out of bounds, thus giving Giants ball at their own 40. They were able to drive into FG-range just before regulation with Matt Bahr kicking the game-winner.

Ray Handley (like Kotite weeks prior - I was AT that game at the Vet) beat Chuck Noll in his final season... ...ehh!
I was gonna bring this up. I was 13-14 at the time so I went to bed when it was 20-0.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Byron wrote:In 1983, Dallas began the season on MNF against defending champ Washington. The Cowboys were down 23-3 at half but won the game 31-30.
In that game, the Cowboys field goal was made due to Tony Dorsett 77-yard run who was caught by rookie Darrell Green near the goal line (I bet that no one player in the league at that time would've caught Dorsett) and it was their only significant play in the first half. Then Danny White threw two long TD passes to Tony Hill and the comeback began.

Other comeback on MNF was the first Monday game after the 1982 strike (it was the Raiders first game at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum). The San Diego Chargers led 24-0 in the 2nd quarter, but ended losing 28-24.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Teo wrote:
Byron wrote:In 1983, Dallas began the season on MNF against defending champ Washington. The Cowboys were down 23-3 at half but won the game 31-30.
In that game, the Cowboys field goal was made due to Tony Dorsett 77-yard run who was caught by rookie Darrell Green near the goal line (I bet that no one player in the league at that time would've caught Dorsett) and it was their only significant play in the first half. Then Danny White threw two long TD passes to Tony Hill and the comeback began.
The comeback was seemingly overshadowed by Howard Cosell's "little monkey" comment about Alvin Garrett.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

As for another 'almost'-comeback on MNF involving my Steelers, how about Steelers rallying from a 30-3 halftime deficit at Miami late in the '73 season? The Dick Anderson 4 INTs game. Initially not starting due to injury, Bradshaw went in for Joe Gilliam and almost closed the deal - final score Dolphins 30 Steelers 26. Had the 'Burgh completed the comeback, it'd be #1 with-a-bullet on this list.
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

BD Sullivan wrote:
Teo wrote:
The comeback was seemingly overshadowed by Howard Cosell's "little monkey" comment about Alvin Garrett.
1983 was Cosell's final season on MNF. I'd be curious to know what role (if any) the Garrett "incident" played in his decision to leave after 14 years? Or did ABC decide to replace him?

Elephantine error: One of Cosell's lowest moments was the time he referred to Redskins receiver Alvin Garrett, who is black, as a "little monkey." While some accused him of making a racial slur, Cosell said it was inadvertent and most black leaders agreed that the broadcaster had an outstanding record on civil rights. Garrett excused Cosell the next day though his initial reaction was: "I think Cosell looks like a monkey."

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-12-26/ ... nday-night

Not the biggest MNF comeback of all-time, but the N.Y. Jets outscored the N.O. Saints 17-0 in the 4th qtr. and rallied to win 31-28 on Kirk Springs' 76 yard punt return on 11/21/83.
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

Retro Rider wrote:
1983 was Cosell's final season on MNF. I'd be curious to know what role (if any) the Garrett "incident" played in his decision to leave after 14 years? Or did ABC decide to replace him?
It was probably a combination of things. The little monkey comment was an issue, but seemed to get smoothed over pretty quickly; there was no malice intended. Cosell was getting more cantankerous than ever by then, railing against the "jockocracy" infecting the announcing booth and obsessing more about the politics of the industry than taking pleasure in the game. He just didn't want to be there anymore.

The rising star of Al Michaels also shouldn't be overlooked. He didn't arrive until later, but his ascent into the best on-air gig in the land was no accident. He plotted his way in, then eventually drove out anyone who challenged him for mic time and cache. It surely was blow to his ego when forced to share the booth with gargantuan life force John Madden (and his gargantuan salary). Even so, the big fella wasn't the same because Michaels wouldn't let Madden be Madden.

A great book about some of those days is Monday Night Mayhem by Bill Carter. Fascinating read, I believe Michaels is quoted at length about Cosell's mindset at the time, knowledge he no doubt used to his advantage.
Last edited by Veeshik_ya on Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

One of the more thrilling games was the 49ers at Rams, 1989. The Rams had a 17-0 lead in the first quarter and a 24-10 lead in the third and lost 30-27 when the 49ers scored 20 in the fourth. John Taylor had two 90+ yard TDs. It was the beginning of the end for Fritz Schurmer, although to his credit he didn't have much to work with at this point.

There was much weeping and gnashing of teeth over this one. Twenty-six years later, I've whittled the occasions I'm haunted by it to down to twice a day. Have a DVD copy of this game sitting on my shelf for, oh, five years.

It's still there.