A Signature Play in History for each team

Jay Z

Re: A Signature Play in History for each team

Post by Jay Z »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
oldecapecod 11 wrote:New England Patriots - two events: one oh so sad; the other quite funny
1978 - Jack Tatum hit on Darryl Stingley
1982 - Mark Henderson game-winning field maintenance

evan wrote:
"...Maybe Bednarik's hit on Gifford..."

The hit by Bednarik certainly was memorable - for millions...
For the Pats, I think it has to be Vinatieri's FG late in regulation in the Tuck Rule game to send the game to OT. I would take it over either of the FG's to win Super Bowls 36 and 38, as missing those FG's would have sent the game to OT, but in the case of the Tuck Rule game if he would have missed the Raiders would have won the game. I still think the 45-yard FG in a raging blizzard was one of the two most difficult FG's in pro football history, with the other being the Pat Summerall FG in similar conditions to win the regular season finale against the Browns in 1958 and force a tiebreaker game to see who would face the Colts for the NFL Title.
Butler's INT. AKA The Immaculate Interception. It's the highest impact play in NFL history. It's been estimated that Seattle's chance of winning the game at that point was 86-87%, Then one play essentially ended the game.

It outranks The Immaculate Reception because it's the Superbowl. Immaculate Reception was just a quarterfinal game.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

As for some of these very old franchises, you may have to divide the franchise's history up into different eras and place a signature play for each era that warrants one. Bears, Giants, Washington may be teams to do this with; and I'll leave that to you guys. Eagles I think I can do. Before the SB era you got Bednarik knocking out Gifford (or his tackle on the final play of the '60 Title Game). Vermeil era 'Miracle at Meadowlands', Randall's famous TD pass vs Giants MNF '88 in the Buddy era (or that Marcus Allen fumble-return play at LA two years earlier, signifying winning to come), and McNabb's 4th & 26 vs GB in the '04 divisional round for the Reid era (or the Opening Day '00 onside kick vs Dallas on the game's first play). Heck, while at it, why not one for the Ray Rhodes era?...stuffing Emmitt back-to-back at the Vet!

You may find that not all eras in a franchise's history may have a signature play. This could also go for a winning or even championship era in a franchise's history. Example - Jimmy Johnson era Dallas. If you want to extend signature play to a full game, then I guess Dallas winning at undefeated SB-Champ-to-be Washington in '91 (hint of greatness to come), but of course Troy was injured that game. There really is no true epitomizing play that stands out in that particular era. Just a young super-talented team that suddenly got great, won 3 Bowls in 4 years and then that was that. Perhaps it was either Leon Lett play from SBXXVII or Turkey Day '93 respectively? Hey, it epitomized that they were SO talented that they could afford to make a mistake here and there - and replace Jimmy with Switzer.

Dividing up a franchise's history and finding a signature play for each era could apply to a team like the Cardinals for obvious geographical reasons. After all, how many fans in StL circa '87 knew who 'The MIllion Dollar Backfield' was and who now in 'Zona has ever heard of Jim Hart or Roy Green? Baltimore Colts and Indy Colts, perhaps, should have one signature game apiece as well as LA Rams and StL Rams, Browns and Ravens, Oilers and Titans, etc. Maybe there are some former AFL franchises that may have one for when they were in the AFL and one afterwards (NFL). And some franchises, period, (good or bad) may not have a signature game at all or at least not yet. Think about it, after almost 40 years of existence, did Pittsburgh have a signature play before '72?

Speaking of, 'Immaculate Reception', 'The Catch', final 'Ice Bowl' play, 'The Hail Mary', Mo Lewis taking out Bledsoe Week #2 of '01 (or 'Tuck' play, take your pick) are examples of a long-time franchise only having one signature play due, simply, the its overt mythical standing and/or simply overshadowing any play that came before or after; young fans of any future generation always knowing of it. Yes, I place 'The Hail Mary' as Dallas' lone example of an actual signature...play. Yes, the Bob Lily helmet throw end of SBV of course a great example (and yes, Joe, that big Lily sack on Greise hit the brain momentarily when thinking of Dallas).

Yes, 'The Hail Mary' was just a divisional game and not one of the years they won the Bowl, but it to me represents/epitomizes 'Captain Comeback' doing what he was all well known for doing throughout his career; and the Dallas Cowboys begin with Landry, Lily, and he who was (all love and respect to Dandy Don) the first real star QB of "America's Team" (or as Chuck Klosterman said, the "George Washington of Dallas Cowboys quarterbacks"). As for a Bob Lily helmet-throw-like event, I place the whole Kellen Winslow getting carried from the Orange Bowl '81 playoffs as SD's signature moment because, honestly, I can't come up with a specific play. LT getting held up by teammates after breaking record another good signature 'moment' as well.

And how about the Raiders having quite a few to pick from all in the same era ("of Excellence"), mind you! 'Sea of Hands' and Marcus's big TD run in SBXVIII both excellent (no pun) choices! But how about adding some more nominees? You got (with the great BIG help of NFL Films) Willie Brown's INT-return in SBXI, Red Right 88, and how about another one from SBXVIII?...end of 1st half defensive play call - Squirek!
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:31 am, edited 7 times in total.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

As much as I like George Wilson I'd think the signature play for the Bears might be the jump pass from Nagurski to Grange that won the 1932 Championship.

The Bednarik tackle om Jim Taylor in the 60 Championship Game will always be the Eagles signature play to me.

And sadly, the Catch will likewise for the 49ers.
Also agree with the Immaculate Reception for the Steelers.
I think we're stuck with those two forever.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

oldecapecod 11 wrote:1966 Miami Dolphins - 1st game in franchise history, Joe Auer runs opening kickoff for a Touchdown.
Can't start any better than that...
John Gilliam and the Saints matched it the following year, although Dempsey's kick still would have been the signature play prior to the pick six in SB 44.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

BD Sullivan wrote:
oldecapecod 11 wrote:1966 Miami Dolphins - 1st game in franchise history, Joe Auer runs opening kickoff for a Touchdown.
Can't start any better than that...
John Gilliam and the Saints matched it the following year, although Dempsey's kick still would have been the signature play prior to the pick six in SB 44.
Saints?...Dempsey's kick is really what first came to mind even before I read the first post on this thread mentioning it. The SB pick-6 for whatever reason doesn't make it for me. Yes, a great play, great choice - won them the Bowl - but, to me, a signature 'moment' overrides it instead - Brees holding his son after the game. Looking at the entire Saints history in a single overall glance, what pops up to me the most is 2006, the year the road to the Title began under newcomers Brees & Payton! A year after Katrina. First game back in the Superdome MNF vs rival Falcons, yes you know where this is going, blocked punt/TD beginning of the game! JMO.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Bob Gill wrote:
Joe Zagorski wrote:Oh yeah, one other that I almost forgot. The Washington Redskins: Ken Houston's famous tackle of Walt Garrison on Monday Night Football in 1973, preserving a come-from-behind Washington victory.
That was a great and memorable play, but Riggins' fourth-down touchdown run in the Super Bowl, which Evan already pointed out, beats it easily. Perhaps out of natural contrariness, I'd like to nominate a play from the Sammy Baugh years, but nothing then could match Riggins' play either.
I agree, but I would put in second place Doug Williams long TD throw to Ricky Sanders against Denver in the Super Bowl. Williams just came back from an injury and Jay Schroeder filled in the previous series. No one thought at the moment wht kind of performance Williams would have.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Speaking of the N.Y. Giants, I think that Odell Beckham Jr.'s one handed catch against Dallas this past season can beat David Tyree and Mario Mannngham great receptions on the Super Bowl wins agianst New England.

As for Tampa Bay, in the early years, Neil O'Donoghue trip against Minnesota after a blocked field goal was in every NFL Films clip of the 70's and follies :twisted:
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Oh my, what a post.
Chargers: Humphries to Martin, 43 yards in Pittsburgh.

Dolphins: Marino's fake spike

Cleveland: Red Right 88

Houston: JJ Watt's interception return for a TD in the playoffs.

Jaguars: David Garrard's 4th down scramble vs Pittsburgh in the playoffs.

Bears: Gale Sayers' first of six TDs, on an 80 yard screen pass.
Honorable Mention: Devin Hester winning the MNF game vs Arz with a punt return for a score.

Atlanta: Michael Vick 's 44 yard run for a TD vs Carolina in OT
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

Lots of great responses! The PFRA is chock-filled with some really knowledgeable pro football historians. I'm honored to be a member of this club.

Joe Zagorski
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

As for the Dallas Cowboys, what about Butch Johnson's fingertip catch in Super Bowl XII? I think that play would not be shown as much as in the past, as now it would've been an incomplete pass.