A Signature Play in History for each team

Byron

Re: A Signature Play in History for each team

Post by Byron »

oldecapecod 11 wrote:Evan » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:52 pm
"...Would the Eagles be the Miracle in the Meadowlands, or is that more of a Giant screwup than a hallowed Eagles moment?.."

Joe's use of "greatest or most memorable" certainly qualifies that horrible Meadowlands event.
Gee... two of these were against the Giants - 1958 and now this. Ouch!
I can also see Bednarik's hit on Gifford in the 1960 NFL Championship game as the Eagles signature play. Or maybe even Van Buren's 5 yard touchdown run to win the 1948 NFL Championship game (their first title) in that spot as well.
Evan

Post by Evan »

For the Bears, for all their storied history of incredible players who transcended football, my first thoughts go to two non-all-time greats:

George Wilson, throwing his double-wipeout block to key the first TD of 73-0.
The Fridge scoring his first TD, turning the '85 Bears into a social phenomenon with endless bravado that they could back up.
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

ChrisBabcock wrote: Bills -
I'm trying to think of something from the Super Bowl run but can't think of anything that would top either of those two.
Well, "signature" doesn't have to be winning. As a four time Super Bowl loser, their signature play might be Norwood's miss.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Broncos has to be Elway's whirly-bird run in the Super Bowl, right?
Yes. Absolutely.
Or maybe even Van Buren's 5 yard touchdown run to win the 1948 NFL Championship game (their first title) in that spot as well.
This would be my pick for the Eagles.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Evan wrote:Would the Eagles be the Miracle in the Meadowlands, or is that more of a Giant screwup than a hallowed Eagles moment? Maybe Bednarik's hit on Gifford, or Bednarik sitting on Jim Taylor as the clock ran out in 1960?

Having trouble conjuring something for the Lions and Cardinals. Help?
Eagles: Van Buren's run (great block by Wistert on that TD, too) ...

Lions: I think of the Lions and I think of Layne to Doran for the championship.

Cardinals: Like Byron I think '47, but I like Trippi's punt return.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

New England Patriots - two events: one oh so sad; the other quite funny
1978 - Jack Tatum hit on Darryl Stingley
1982 - Mark Henderson game-winning field maintenance

evan wrote:
"...Maybe Bednarik's hit on Gifford..."

The hit by Bednarik certainly was memorable - for millions...
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Patriots: Butler's interception. Despite their other last-minute playoff wins, nothing comes close to that one.

49ers: Clark's catch is a good choice, but I might opt for John Taylor's game-winning catch against Cincinnati in the Super Bowl.

Broncos: Please, not that over-hyped run by Elway! I'll take a better highlight from his career, The Drive against Cleveland from the previous decade.

For a couple of teams I think the signature moment is a whole game rather than a single play, or even a single drive. For the Jets, obviously it's winning the Super Bowl, but there's no one play or one sequence that stands out. The signature image is Namath going off the field holding up a finger for No. 1. And for the Dolphins, it's the victory over the Redskins in the Super Bowl to cap the undefeated season. But there's no one play in that game -- the most famous play is Yepremian's ridiculous attempt to pass, and it CAN'T be that.
Veeshik_ya

Post by Veeshik_ya »

Bob Gill wrote:
Broncos: Please, not that over-hyped run by Elway! I'll take a better highlight from his career, The Drive against Cleveland from the previous decade.
I can understand why one would argue against the Elway run, but this is one instance where the hype is deserving. It wasn't what the run accomplished, but what it meant. The heart. The passion. Corny terms in this cynical age, but they still mean something.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Bob Gill wrote:Broncos: Please, not that over-hyped run by Elway! I'll take a better highlight from his career, The Drive against Cleveland from the previous decade.
Unfortunately I think the Elway run is the signature moment (not for me personally, but I would bet it's the consensus choice) ... Always felt the same way about it being overhyped.
Byron

Post by Byron »

Bob Gill wrote: For a couple of teams I think the signature moment is a whole game rather than a single play, or even a single drive. For the Jets, obviously it's winning the Super Bowl, but there's no one play or one sequence that stands out. The signature image is Namath going off the field holding up a finger for No. 1. And for the Dolphins, it's the victory over the Redskins in the Super Bowl to cap the undefeated season. But there's no one play in that game -- the most famous play is Yepremian's ridiculous attempt to pass, and it CAN'T be that.
Tampa Bay's Super Bowl win may also fall into this category; I cannot think of a single play from that entire season that could be considered a "signature play" for them. There may be something in their 1979 season to consider though.