Best Year of the 1970s

Veeshik_ya

Re: Best Year of the 1970s

Post by Veeshik_ya »

Evan wrote: • The importance of Howard Cosell’s Halftime Highlights; Brent, Phyllis, Irv and Jimmy on The NFL Today; and Saturday’s NFL Films shows Pro Football Playback and NFL Game of the Week. They were all “can’t miss TV” as they gave us our only video glimpses into the league at large.
Interesting how this has evolved. As you mentioned, Cosell's MNF halftime highlights were critical. For the most part, it was our only chance to see action outside of your local team.

When ESPN came along with NFL Primetime in 1987, it was a like a godsend. Meticulously detailed, drive by drive footage of how the game ensued. It made the MNF highlights, outside of their great production values and narration, understandably obsolete.

Slowly, that died. Now we have more television hours than ever devoted to NFL games, but we're lucky if we see more than 30 seconds of actual game highlights before they cut away to the yuckfest. You might see one touchdown by the losing team.

Today, the news personality is the story, not the game.

Ah, the myth of progressive history.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Good stuff, Evan.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

I concur with Evan regarding 1976. I followed the Rams closely that year, the O.J. trade speculation, 3 quarterbacks used, and the final disaster in the NFC Championship game.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Evan wrote:We had a "favorite season" thread back in 2011 that was not limited to the 1970s, but since my favorite season happened to be in that era, I'll re-post my comments here:

For me, it was 1976, and here are some of the storylines that made it memorable for me:

The Build-Up
• The spirited, festive summer that seemed to have competition and celebration in the air with the Bicentennial, the Olympics (with Bruce Jenner and Sugar Ray Leonard), the Carter/Ford campaign, the undefeated Indiana hoops team, the phenomenon of Mark Fidrych, and the classic Celtics/Suns Finals game.
• The importance of pre-season football magazines, then in its heyday with titles like Prolog, Pro Football Illustrated, Street & Smith’s Pro Football, Football Digest, Pro Quarterback, Football Forecast, Petersen’s Pro Football, Pros Football, Pro Football Weekly. They would all come out at about the same time and just light up the magazine rack at the local stationary store. Once you got one in your hands, football season had begun.
• The anticipation of the return from the WFL of Csonka, Kiick, Warfield, Hill with new teams.
• The Steelers gunning for their third straight title with all their key pieces intact.
• The intrigue of the rumored trade of OJ to Los Angeles.
• The free agency signings (a very odd concept at the time) of John Riggins, Jean Fugett, John Gilliam, Ed Marinaro, Ahmad Rashad and others.
• The promise of Hank Stram saving New Orleans with his new rookie Thunder and Lightning backfield of Muncie and Galbreath.
• The Giants shutting out the Steelers 17-0 in pre-season and setting New York alight with optimism.
• The pre-season return of Duane Thomas to the Cowboys.

The Season
• The blazing hot start of the season of Roger Staubach (five games, five wins, 83 of 113, 73.5%, 1,198 yards, 7 TD, 2 Int – 120.7 rating).
• San Diego’s 3-0 start after starting 0-11 the year before.
• The odd start (a 6-1 record with more points allowed than scored) and hot finish of the Raiders.
• The 6-1 start with just 63 points allowed of San Francisco.
• The emergence of exciting rookies, second- and third-year players like Walter Payton, Steve Grogan, Delvin Williams, Sammy White, Mike Haynes, Monte Jackson, Dave Casper, Roger Carr, Don Calhoun, Rick Upchurch, Cleveland Elam, Jim Zorn and Steve Largent.
• The exciting debut of the Seahawks (with the scrambling of Zorn) and the punchline that became the Buccaneers.
• The Cowboys’ addition of a red stripe down the middle of their helmet for the Bicentennial, beginning a feeling that led to them being coronated as America’s Team several years later.
• The kick-blocking mystery and mastery of the Vikings.
• The remarkable stats – Stabler’s 27 TD passes, James Harris’s 436-yard passing day, OJ’s record 273-yard Thanksgiving, Grogan’s 12 rushing TDs plus a fumble recovery TD, the 61 sacks of San Francisco’s Gold Rush.
• The OJ-Payton duel for the rushing title after OJ’s holdout and slow start.
• The exciting long bombs to Roger Carr (25.9 average, 11 TDs) and Cliff Branch (24.2 average, 12 TDs).
• Dave Casper’s 10 catches in the first half against New England.
• The record twelve 1,000-yard rushers.
• The importance of Howard Cosell’s Halftime Highlights; Brent, Phyllis, Irv and Jimmy on The NFL Today; and Saturday’s NFL Films shows Pro Football Playback and NFL Game of the Week. They were all “can’t miss TV” as they gave us our only video glimpses into the league at large.
• The drama of the Steelers’ comeback from a 1-4 start behind their rookie backup QB, surreal defense and awesome running game.
• The establishment of the Colts as no fluke from 1975 and a young team on the rise.
• The turnarounds from 1975: Patriots from 3-11 to 11-3, and the Browns from 3-11 to 9-5.
• The unthinkable decline of the Dolphins to a losing season.
• The sad end to the Namath era in New York.
• The terrific performances in their heyday of classic 70s powerhouses Oakland, Pittsburgh, Cincy, Baltimore, Dallas, St. Louis, Washington, Minnesota and Los Angeles.
• The dramatic withering of the Giants after a pre-season that generated huge optimism.
• The tie-breaking knot of Cincy, Pittsburgh and Cleveland all entering the final week with 9-4 records.

The Memorable Games:
o The Raiders opening day comeback against the champion Steelers
o The Seahawks nearly stunning the Cardinals in their first game ever
o The incredible start of the Patriots - beating Miami, Pittsburgh and Oakland.
o The brutal hitting of the Vikings-Rams tie
o The Bengals-Colts duel between Anderson and Jones
o The Colts-Cowboys high-powered clash
o The controversial inadvertent whistle that might have cost the Bears a win over the Raiders
o The Niners mauling the Rams on MNF
o The Expansion Bowl between Seattle and Tampa Bay
o The Falcons stunning the powerhouse Cowboys, and also losing to the expansion Seahawks
o The Cardinals-Redskins Monday Night mud bowl with Eddie Brown’s punt return TD
o The Raiders beating the Bengals when the thinking was they would roll over to sink the Steelers
o The Steelers road win in the snow at Cincy to keep their playoff hopes alive
o The Redskins securing a playoff spot with a win at Dallas in the final week

The Playoffs
• The classic Raiders-Patriots game with controversy abounding (Atkinson breaking Francis’s nose, the Sugar Bear roughing the passing call).
• The Steelers erupting on the Colts with 526 yards of offense and Bradshaw going 14 of 18.
• The Rams upsetting Dallas with a dramatic 4th-down stop of Billy Joe Dupree a foot short of a first down.
• The Vikings blocking the Rams kicks and Super Bowl dreams.
• The Raiders knocking off the short-handed Steelers.
• The Super Bowl would not be called a great game under just about any parameters. But it was an appropriate long-awaited crowning moment for the Raiders, and did have a fair share of dramatic moments, they just didn’t add up to a dramatic game.
Superior recap!! I'm almost sold! Didn't know Duane Thomas was (back) in the picture in Big D that preseason. Niners 6-1 start (shutting out Rams in LA) - I'm sure the Bay Area was geeking up over a possible late-January showdown between both their teams. Yes, plenty of stock was put in those MNF halftime recaps. I miss them. And so did the players. Wasn't it in America's Game '81 Niners where one of the players said he was so looking forward to what Howard would say about they crushing Dallas the day before to go 4-2 only for nothing to be said at all. MNF definitely dropped the ball there. You can say it was that 3-0 start gone bad the previous year that made them not want to speak too soon, but still...they (6-10 previous year) beat DALLAS! And beat them handily! Back to '76, yes indeed a historic season. What would have given it an ever greater boost, however, would be if Steelers (win or lose) would have had Franco & Rocky and, of course, the AFCC being a close game; SBXI as well.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

1976 stands out to me for two reasons:

1. For one year, we saw this new reality in San Francisco. They looked like they had something going with Monte Clark. Then, Joe Thomas came and wrecked it. However, that led to the Bill Walsh era, and we all know what happened there.

2. The two games late in the season that the Cardinals lost (against Dallas and Washington) that came down to a late call. It was the difference between 10-4 and 12-2 (And home field). The NFL wasn't that far away from having a Pats-Cardinals Super Bowl.

I can't really say which season was the best, though. They all were pretty good. The 70's in the NFL were exciting. That's why Tom Danyluk called his book The Super 70's.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
Evan wrote:We had a "favorite season" thread back in 2011 that was not limited to the 1970s, but since my favorite season happened to be in that era, I'll re-post my comments here:

For me, it was 1976, and here are some of the storylines that made it memorable for me:

The Build-Up
• The spirited, festive summer that seemed to have competition and celebration in the air with the Bicentennial, the Olympics (with Bruce Jenner and Sugar Ray Leonard), the Carter/Ford campaign, the undefeated Indiana hoops team, the phenomenon of Mark Fidrych, and the classic Celtics/Suns Finals game.
• The importance of pre-season football magazines, then in its heyday with titles like Prolog, Pro Football Illustrated, Street & Smith’s Pro Football, Football Digest, Pro Quarterback, Football Forecast, Petersen’s Pro Football, Pros Football, Pro Football Weekly. They would all come out at about the same time and just light up the magazine rack at the local stationary store. Once you got one in your hands, football season had begun.
• The anticipation of the return from the WFL of Csonka, Kiick, Warfield, Hill with new teams.
• The Steelers gunning for their third straight title with all their key pieces intact.
• The free agency signings (a very odd concept at the time) of John Riggins, Jean Fugett, John Gilliam, Ed Marinaro, Ahmad Rashad and others.
• The promise of Hank Stram saving New Orleans with his new rookie Thunder and Lightning backfield of Muncie and Galbreath.
• The Giants shutting out the Steelers 17-0 in pre-season and setting New York alight with optimism.

The Season
• The blazing hot start of the season of Roger Staubach (five games, five wins, 83 of 113, 73.5%, 1,198 yards, 7 TD, 2 Int – 120.7 rating).
• The odd start (a 6-1 record with more points allowed than scored) and hot finish of the Raiders.
• The emergence of exciting rookies, second- and third-year players like Walter Payton, Steve Grogan, Delvin Williams, Sammy White, Mike Haynes, Monte Jackson, Dave Casper, Roger Carr, Don Calhoun, Rick Upchurch, Cleveland Elam, Jim Zorn and Steve Largent.
• The exciting debut of the Seahawks (with the scrambling of Zorn) and the punchline that became the Buccaneers.
• The Cowboys’ addition of a red stripe down the middle of their helmet for the Bicentennial, beginning a feeling that led to them being coronated as America’s Team several years later.
• The remarkable stats – Stabler’s 27 TD passes, James Harris’s 436-yard passing day, OJ’s record 273-yard Thanksgiving, Grogan’s 12 rushing TDs plus a fumble recovery TD, the 61 sacks of San Francisco’s Gold Rush.
• The exciting long bombs to Roger Carr (25.9 average, 11 TDs) and Cliff Branch (24.2 average, 12 TDs).
• The importance of Howard Cosell’s Halftime Highlights; Brent, Phyllis, Irv and Jimmy on The NFL Today; and Saturday’s NFL Films shows Pro Football Playback and NFL Game of the Week. They were all “can’t miss TV” as they gave us our only video glimpses into the league at large.
• The drama of the Steelers’ comeback from a 1-4 start behind their rookie backup QB, surreal defense and awesome running game.
• The establishment of the Colts as no fluke from 1975 and a young team on the rise.
• The turnarounds from 1975: Patriots from 3-11 to 11-3, and the Browns from 3-11 to 9-5.
• The terrific performances in their heyday of classic 70s powerhouses Oakland, Pittsburgh, Cincy, Baltimore, Dallas, St. Louis, Washington, Minnesota and Los Angeles.
• The dramatic withering of the Giants after a pre-season that generated huge optimism.
• The tie-breaking knot of Cincy, Pittsburgh and Cleveland all entering the final week with 9-4 records.

The Memorable Games:
o The controversial inadvertent whistle that might have cost the Bears a win over the Raiders
o The Falcons stunning the powerhouse Cowboys, and also losing to the expansion Seahawks
o The Cardinals-Redskins Monday Night mud bowl with Eddie Brown’s punt return TD
o The Raiders beating the Bengals when the thinking was they would roll over to sink the Steelers

The Playoffs
• The classic Raiders-Patriots game with controversy abounding (Atkinson breaking Francis’s nose, the Sugar Bear roughing the passing call).
• The Steelers erupting on the Colts with 526 yards of offense and Bradshaw going 14 of 18.
• The Rams upsetting Dallas with a dramatic 4th-down stop of Billy Joe Dupree a foot short of a first down.
• The Super Bowl would not be called a great game under just about any parameters. But it was an appropriate long-awaited crowning moment for the Raiders, and did have a fair share of dramatic moments, they just didn’t add up to a dramatic game.
Superior recap!! I'm almost sold! Didn't know Duane Thomas was (back) in the picture in Big D that preseason. Niners 6-1 start (shutting out Rams in LA) - I'm sure the Bay Area was geeking up over a possible late-January showdown between both their teams. Yes, plenty of stock was put in those MNF halftime recaps. I miss them. And so did the players. Wasn't it in America's Game '81 Niners where one of the players said he was so looking forward to what Howard would say about they crushing Dallas the day before to go 4-2 only for nothing to be said at all. MNF definitely dropped the ball there. You can say it was that 3-0 start gone bad the previous year that made them not want to speak too soon, but still...they (6-10 previous year) beat DALLAS! And beat them handily! Back to '76, yes indeed a historic season. What would have given it an ever greater boost, however, would be if Steelers (win or lose) would have had Franco & Rocky and, of course, the AFCC being a close game; SBXI as well.
I saw Duane Thomas play for Dallas in a 1976 TV pre-season game. He didn't have anything left and was cut just before the regular season. Getting back to the Rams if I may, I still wish there had been a Raiders-Rams Super Bowl XI. The Raiders would probably have won, but the Rams matched up better than the Vikings and I believe would have made a game of it.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

SixtiesFan wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:

The Build-Up

The Season

The Memorable Games:

The Playoffs
I saw Duane Thomas play for Dallas in a 1976 TV pre-season game. He didn't have anything left and was cut just before the regular season. Getting back to the Rams if I may, I still wish there had been a Raiders-Rams Super Bowl XI. The Raiders would probably have won, but the Rams matched up better than the Vikings and I believe would have made a game of it.
From what I gather, it seems to me the Rams would have made a game of it as well. Same probably can be said for other years in the '70s (before '79) when the Rams came up just short of the SB. Kind of like the late-'80s Browns.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:1976 stands out to me for two reasons:

1. For one year, we saw this new reality in San Francisco. They looked like they had something going with Monte Clark. Then, Joe Thomas came and wrecked it. However, that led to the Bill Walsh era, and we all know what happened there.

2. The two games late in the season that the Cardinals lost (against Dallas and Washington) that came down to a late call. It was the difference between 10-4 and 12-2 (And home field). The NFL wasn't that far away from having a Pats-Cardinals Super Bowl.

I can't really say which season was the best, though. They all were pretty good. The 70's in the NFL were exciting. That's why Tom Danyluk called his book The Super 70's.
Plenty of heartbreak for the '70s Cards. First the '70 collapse, the '76 example you just gave, and what about the next year? 7-3 going into the Turkey Day game, get bombed by Griese, and lose-out rest of the way (almost like '98 Steelers).
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Veeshik_ya wrote:What a terrific recap, Evan.
Agreed. I was reminded of being 12 years old in the summer of 1976 and going into the local news stand (which are quickly becoming obsoleted by the Barnes and Nobles of the world) and seeing eight or ten different NFL preseason magazines and leafing thru them all one afternoon. I've been picking up a lot of those old 1970's football magazines on Ebay over the last few years. I liked Street and Smith, but my favorite was Football Action (which was the thickest of the preseason mags and had a lot of info on all the pro and college teams and were chock full of ads for every single sports handicapping service) and I have a complete collection of those from the 1970's now. The preseason magazines, along with the time in July or August when the new season of Topps football cards hit the market, was the sign that football season was upon us.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:1976 stands out to me for two reasons:

Plenty of heartbreak for the '70s Cards. First the '70 collapse, the '76 example you just gave, and what about the next year? 7-3 going into the Turkey Day game, get bombed by Griese, and lose-out rest of the way (almost like '98 Steelers).
The 10-4 Cardinals would have made the playoffs as the wild card team in 1976 if the 11-2 Cowboys had beaten the 9-4 Redskins (who beat the Cardinals in both regular season games) in the season finale. Dallas lost to Washinton 27-14 on their home field.

I recall listening to the KMOX St. Louis radio call in show the next night. Dan Dierdorf and Jim Hart were on during football season. Dierdorf felt the Cowboys had rolled over. He was infuriated by a post game photo of Redskin coach George Allen and Cowboy LB Hollywood Henderson yukking it up.