Seniors

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
rewing84

Re: Seniors

Post by rewing84 »

One other player I will add and just thought of is Joe Fortunato even though he was a 1950s all decade selection his best years were in the 60's
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

rewing84 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:24 am
SeahawkFever wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:18 am
Gary Najman wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:33 pm Many don't remember that Scott started his pro career with the CFL' BC Lions in 1969 as a wide receiver. And in his final NFL season in 1978 he had 7 interceptions while playing for Washington. I think Scott and Dick Anderson are HOF worthy, but it seems that they have been cancelling each other in the Seniors ballot.
I could totally see why Jake Scott and Dick Anderson could've cancelled each other out in the minds of some voters.

The best accolades received by either one are Scott's Super Bowl MVP, and Anderson's Defensive Player of the Year and All Decade Team selection.

If a player hypothetically had 49 interceptions (which Scott ended up getting), a Super Bowl MVP, a DPOY, and an all -decade team selection, then that player may have made it to Canton by now.
I will agree with that 100% that makes perfect sense
And now what do you know, one of those safeties made it through the first cut, and the other did not.
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

JohnTurney wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:43 am
SeahawkFever wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:25 am
, Jackson as said up top had the most receptions, receiving yards, and receiving touchdowns in the 1970's
can expand that from 1969-81 -- #1 in rec, yds, TDs, 5th in YPC a 13-year span

and he has a case and you make it strong.

having seen him a lot ... something was lacking, dropped more than you'd want. It's not talked about. Yes, QBs were iffy ...

The strongest case is the compiled #s.

As I mentioned above, it's the debate of who has best "case" on paper and who were the best football players. Meador better case than Cromwell but no question who was better football player --- Cromwell. Larry Brooks, to those who saw him play, was elite - but they don't have strong "cases" on paper and will never get in HOF, and prob. shouldn't.

Jackson has a shot ... but when I think of the Rams teams of his era, he fits with the good ones ... McCutcheon, Robertson, Reynolds --- guys like that, not with the Cromwells, Brooks' and Youngbloods. The final three were just different when you saw them but one of of these had a strong HOF case.
And what do you know, Meador made the first cut and Cromwell did not.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

SeahawkFever wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 1:30 am
JohnTurney wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:43 am Meador better case than Cromwell but no question who was better football player --- Cromwell.
Yeah, exactly. He has more Pro Bowls and INTs. Meador has a shot at the final 9, I'd guess.
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

JohnTurney wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 4:10 am
JohnTurney wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:43 am Meador better case than Cromwell but no question who was better football player --- Cromwell.
Yeah, exactly. He has more Pro Bowls and INTs. Meador has a shot at the final 9, I'd guess.
He has more pro bowls, but if the voting was split between AFC and NFC in the 80’s, Cromwell could have finished with a similar number of accolades perhaps.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but earlier, you said that Cromwell was a really good tackler if I’m not mistaken. If so, that’s something that won’t appear on a stat sheet.

Different sport, but the sportswriter Bill Simmons once said regarding basketball: “As the years pass, your basketball reference page becomes your legacy for those who didn’t watch you play.”

Well the same may happen with NFL players and pro football reference.

Especially for a player as far back as Meador where there’s basically no full games of him playing that are archived, just about all the footage is NFL Films highlights.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

SeahawkFever wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:20 pm
He has more pro bowls, but if the voting was split between AFC and NFC in the 80’s, Cromwell could have finished with a similar number of accolades perhaps.
that's something that is not discussed enough. I the 1960s there were East and West Pro Bowls in NFL and AFL (AFL All-Star game) so the numbers get skewed in the 1960s.

Essentially it would be like having separate NFC and AFC Pro Bowls, if almost doubles the number of Pro Bowls

Also, I cannot get anyone to get interested in looking at Pro Bowls made by replacement ... Some guys with 7 were voted to 4 and someone else made 6 and was voted to 6.

And since 1975 there are "starters" -- guys voted as started as opposed to being backups, like the 3rd and 4th WRs or 3rd tackle.

But while people here and members of PFRA get it, talk to some media people and their eyes glaze over.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

JohnTurney wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 4:10 am
Meador make my final 9 that i can tell you