Revisionist history

Brian wolf

Re: Revisionist history

Post by Brian wolf »

That's what interesting about this list from 1960. Alot of great receiver combos led by Berry/Moore. Randle, Rote and Dial had to carry their teams. I think I agree with Bryan for 1st team and would go with McDonald and Dial for 2nd team.

1st team in the AFL would be Groman and Powell.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Bryan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 11:13 am I would vote Sonny Randle for 1st Team all-pro along with Raymond Berry. Its a combination of having seen footage of early AFL defenses and Randle being able to lead both the AFL & NFL in TD receptions while catching passes from King Hill and John Roach.
I think that is partially right. But what I looked at his game by game, which I had not done before I did this exercise is that he had 6 TDs and 20 catches and 350+ yards on Washington ... and their secondary couldn't have been better than some of the AFL teams. He also had a big game with the Rams and their secondary probably was not better ... and then throw in Steelers, also in that "not good" category--

I am aware that lots of great seasons a result of running the score up on weak secondaries ... not sure I have seen 12 of 15 TDs in 4 games and all vs the bottom 3 teams in passing yards. I know the all-pro voters at the time would not have looked at things like that ... but when doing a deeper dive I noticed that one ... 50 percent (plus or minus) on catches and yards and 80 percent of the TDs vs cruddy secondaries ... Rams were not quite as bad -- the had Meador at CB

Crazylegs in 1951 face the Yanks who were terrible and for his top 4 games he had 10 TDs. (about 60 percent) but I found 80% on the high end of the ones I checked the "big TD" seasons.

So, in the end ... even though I agree about him having a career year with so-so QBs, he did a lot of his work vs so-so defenses, more than what I have ever noticed.

I may spend some times digging into some of these monster seasons and see how much of the stats came from button 1/4 of the passing defenses... then that is another thing hard to quantify.

1960 also a bit of a problem because NFL was still playing 12 games --- so an adjustment needs to be made there, NFL guys should get an extra
14-15% on their totals.

The AFL? I think a reasonable deduction could be made, but the issue is how much ... 10%, 15% for having weaker secondaries.
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

Bryan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 11:13 am I would vote Sonny Randle for 1st Team all-pro along with Raymond Berry. Its a combination of having seen footage of early AFL defenses and Randle being able to lead both the AFL & NFL in TD receptions while catching passes from King Hill and John Roach.
And Sam Etcheverry, Ralph Guglielmi, Buddy Humphrey, and Terry Nofsinger. He did have Charley Johnson for 5 seasons from 62-66 although Johnson missed 12 games during that time