Two seasons that stood out to me

SeahawkFever

Two seasons that stood out to me

Post by SeahawkFever »

While looking at the score percentage results, there were two seasons that stood out to me as particularly unorthodox in how they turned out, and I was wondering if you think there is any explanation as to why:

1999: I notice there are 12 or 13 teams that are within six tenths of a standard deviation of zero, and that feels like an abnormally large cluster.

Any idea why some many teams could have been close to statistically average?

2003: I notice that every NFL team this season won at least four games (shoutout to the 03 Vikings for losing to each of them), and there were only six teams that finished 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7; and only one in the AFC.

That year the top team by my stat was a sixth seeded Packers team that barely made the playoffs at all.

Any idea how the worst teams in the league all came out with as many wins as they did, and how a season can have so few “average” teams?
Bryan

Re: Two seasons that stood out to me

Post by Bryan »

SeahawkFever wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:17 pm 2003: I notice that every NFL team this season won at least four games (shoutout to the 03 Vikings for losing to each of them), and there were only six teams that finished 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7; and only one in the AFC.

That year the top team by my stat was a sixth seeded Packers team that barely made the playoffs at all.

Any idea how the worst teams in the league all came out with as many wins as they did, and how a season can have so few “average” teams?
Other than Mike Vick getting hurt in preseason, most of the regular QBs stayed healthy for the season. I think that is probably why you didn't have a large number of 'trainwreck' teams in the NFL that year.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

1999 could've been salvaged for the Jets had they not had the meek deer in headlights Rick Mirer as their backup when Vinny went down. When they finally got into a groove with Ray Lucas, they were in too deep a hole to crawl out of (ended up 8-8). Some similarities to last year...a backup who isn't a complete and utter disaster could've given that team a chance

The NFC outside the Rams was unbelievably weak. The Bucs had a terrific defense but a pitiful offense (and I wasn't a big Dungy fan either). Redskins won the NFC East at 10-6 but they weren't a team that scared anyone...they had a great offensive season (anomaly) with guys like Albert Connell and Michael Westbrook having career years...but defense that wasn't scaring anyone. Though you did have rookie Champ Bailey joining 39 year old Darrell Green in the secondary. Everything about that 1999 Redskins team felt like it wasn't built to last and sure enough, they would not get above .500 again for another six seasons

The Vikings had the deadly big play receivers and a running back that could break games open...but you couldn't trust their quarterback situation and their D while not terrible, I felt was a below average unit overall
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

Bryan wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 5:41 pm
SeahawkFever wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:17 pm 2003: I notice that every NFL team this season won at least four games (shoutout to the 03 Vikings for losing to each of them), and there were only six teams that finished 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7; and only one in the AFC.

Other than Mike Vick getting hurt in preseason, most of the regular QBs stayed healthy for the season. I think that is probably why you didn't have a large number of 'trainwreck' teams in the NFL that year.
Then the front offices of a good number of teams must have surrounded those quarterbacks without much of note, or had teams with good quarterbacks and middling at best defenses.
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

sheajets wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 11:26 am 1999 could've been salvaged for the Jets had they not had the meek deer in headlights Rick Mirer as their backup when Vinny went down. When they finally got into a groove with Ray Lucas, they were in too deep a hole to crawl out of (ended up 8-8). Some similarities to last year...a backup who isn't a complete and utter disaster could've given that team a chance

The NFC outside the Rams was unbelievably weak. The Bucs had a terrific defense but a pitiful offense (and I wasn't a big Dungy fan either). Redskins won the NFC East at 10-6 but they weren't a team that scared anyone...they had a great offensive season (anomaly) with guys like Albert Connell and Michael Westbrook having career years...but defense that wasn't scaring anyone. Though you did have rookie Champ Bailey joining 39 year old Darrell Green in the secondary. Everything about that 1999 Redskins team felt like it wasn't built to last and sure enough, they would not get above .500 again for another six seasons

The Vikings had the deadly big play receivers and a running back that could break games open...but you couldn't trust their quarterback situation and their D while not terrible, I felt was a below average unit overall
I could see the NFC being considered very down in 1999. The three teams that were responsible for all but one NFC Championship Game appearances from 1992-1997 (49ers, Cowboys and Packers) were all worse.

49ers showed their age and went 4-12, Cowboys made the playoffs with an 8-8 season and the Packers also finished 8-8. Panthers who beat the 96 Cowboys were the lone exception, and they were 8-8 themselves.

Also, the two teams from 1998 that had the best records (Vikings and Falcons) both regressed; especially the latter.

In particular I have questions about the run defense of the 98 Vikings given they lost to Atlanta and how bad their opposing yards per carry look in 2000.

As for the Jets, having a bad backup that weighs everything down certainly sounds like this past season for them. If Testeverde doesn’t get hurt, they could’ve perhaps taken Miami’s playoff spot (but I don’t think they are beating Jacksonville).
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

SeahawkFever wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 1:07 pm
sheajets wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 11:26 am 1999 could've been salvaged for the Jets had they not had the meek deer in headlights Rick Mirer as their backup when Vinny went down. When they finally got into a groove with Ray Lucas, they were in too deep a hole to crawl out of (ended up 8-8). Some similarities to last year...a backup who isn't a complete and utter disaster could've given that team a chance

I could see the NFC being considered very down in 1999. The three teams that were responsible for all but one NFC Championship Game appearances from 1992-1997 (49ers, Cowboys and Packers) were all worse.

49ers showed their age and went 4-12, Cowboys made the playoffs with an 8-8 season and the Packers also finished 8-8. Panthers who beat the 96 Cowboys were the lone exception, and they were 8-8 themselves.

Also, the two teams from 1998 that had the best records (Vikings and Falcons) both regressed; especially the latter.

In particular I have questions about the run defense of the 98 Vikings given they lost to Atlanta and how bad their opposing yards per carry look in 2000.

As for the Jets, having a bad backup that weighs everything down certainly sounds like this past season for them. If Testeverde doesn’t get hurt, they could’ve perhaps taken Miami’s playoff spot (but I don’t think they are beating Jacksonville).
Yea I tend to agree with that, and Jax would be looking for revenge from the previous years playoffs and would be at home...the Jags could get after the quarterback that year and I can see Testaverde being forced into some awful throws

Another interesting tidbit from the 1999, the expansion Browns first game back in the NFL was a 43-0 Sunday night drubbing by the Steelers

Pittsburgh outgained Cleveland 464-40(!)

They won time of possession by an outlandish 47:49 - 12:11 The Browns ran just 25 offensive plays all game. 16 attempted passes, 9 running plays. The Steelers ran 89 offensive plays
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

sheajets wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 1:38 pm

Yea I tend to agree with that, and Jax would be looking for revenge from the previous years playoffs and would be at home...the Jags could get after the quarterback that year and I can see Testaverde being forced into some awful throws

Another interesting tidbit from the 1999, the expansion Browns first game back in the NFL was a 43-0 Sunday night drubbing by the Steelers

They won time of possession by an outlandish 47:49 - 12:11 The Browns ran just 25 offensive plays all game. 16 attempted passes, 9 running plays. The Steelers ran 89 offensive plays
Being out gained 11.5 to 1 is one of the most one sided yard ratios there is in all likelihood.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

SeahawkFever wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 12:53 pm
sheajets wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 1:38 pm

Being out gained 11.5 to 1 is one of the most one sided yard ratios there is in all likelihood.
It gets even better with first downs. 33 to 2! And Cleveland got one of their two first downs on their very first offensive play.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Was 2003 the year Favre had a broken thumb on his throwing hand for most of the year? Interesting you said that the Packers were the best in your rating because I remember thinking that the Packers had a great chance to win the Super Bowl after crushing teams late in the season. Didn't look as good in the playoffs. Got kind of lucky in the "we'll take the ball and score playoff" and Favre threw the worst interception of his career in the overtime of the 4th and 26 game. He threw a lot of bad ones, but that was the absolute worst.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:13 am Was 2003 the year Favre had a broken thumb on his throwing hand for most of the year? Interesting you said that the Packers were the best in your rating because I remember thinking that the Packers had a great chance to win the Super Bowl after crushing teams late in the season. Didn't look as good in the playoffs. Got kind of lucky in the "we'll take the ball and score playoff" and Favre threw the worst interception of his career in the overtime of the 4th and 26 game. He threw a lot of bad ones, but that was the absolute worst.
I don’t know if Favre had a broken thumb in 2003, but that was the year he played on Monday Night Football the day after his father died, as well as the season with the arm punt interception vs Philadelphia in the divisional round.

My stat I should point out is solely based on the regular season, so if a team lost a playoff game, even badly so, it doesn’t factor into the equation because in my opinion the regular season and playoffs are two different animals. If they disappointed us in the playoffs then there’s a reason we were probably disappointed: Because they played a very good regular season.

Favre’s 2003 regular season notably saw him lead the league in passing touchdowns while tying for 14th in pass attempts; sixth in passer rating as well.

That season also saw Ahman Green go for the most rushing yards ever by someone who didn’t lead the league in rushing with 1,883.

03 Packers may have been the best team the Packers had with Favre after Mike Holmgren left, and if you thought they could’ve gone to the Super Bowl earlier on, then that’s a sign that they put together a really good regular season.