ABC Messed Up Chris Schenkel

LeonardRachiele

ABC Messed Up Chris Schenkel

Post by LeonardRachiele »

After the 1964 season, ABC lured Chris Schenkel away from CBS. Schenkel was the Voice of the New York Giants and CBS televised all regular season games. In a odd arrangement, the NFL negotiated the NFL Championship Game as a separate package and awarded to NBC. Schenkel appeared on that network when the Giants were in the game. That covered 1956, 1958, 1959, 1961, 1962, and 1963.

The spring of 1965 was a big milestone for sports on television. It was the first year that the Major League Game of the Week appeared on television in cities that had teams. Before 1965 games were television only in cities without a baseball franchise. Chris Schenkel was the announcer and his baritone voice and understated enthusiasm were just as effective in baseball as they had been for football. In July though ABC assigned Keith Jackson to announce the game. ABC did the same thing with the telecast of the NBA in the fall of 1965 and NCAA Football in 1966.

It seemed to me that ABC used Schenkel to start off a game and then Keith Jackson would take over once ratings got favorable. In contrast to Schenkel, Jackson had an annoying twang to his voice. He always looked very sloppy and reminded me of hillbilly. Woo Nellie was one of his stupid expressions. I stopped watching the games because Jackson got on my nerves.

Chris Schenkel wound up his career on the Pro Bowling on Saturday afternoons.
SeahawkFever

Re: ABC Messed Up Chris Schenkel

Post by SeahawkFever »

Keith Jackson was in the booth for the first season of Monday Night Football.
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

Chris Schenkel did college football play-by-play for ABC from 1966-1978. He returned to the booth in October 1988 and called two games for ABC as a fill-in.

From the 506 Archive:
https://archive.506sports.com/wiki/College_Football

Sat 10/8/88, #19 Washington @ Arizona St, ABC, 3:30 pm (regional), Chris Schenkel, Dick Vermeil, Becky Dixon

Sat 10/22/88, #1 UCLA @ Arizona, ABC, 3:30 pm (regional), Chris Schenkel, Dick Vermeil, Jack Arute

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

I remember Chris Schenkel doing many big college games on ABC. The December 31, 1973 Sugar Bowl (#3 Notre Dame vs. #1 Alabama) probably stands out the most. Howard Cosell joined Schenkel and Bud Wilkinson for the Monday night extravaganza.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I always liked Keith Jackson. Schenkel, too.

For years I used to think Jackson was the same Keith Jackson who'd played end for KC, that like many players he'd gone into the booth when his playing days were over. Whoa, Nellie!
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Schenkel was good on golf and bowling, the whispering sports. He had a hard time turning the knob up to 10 for football when it was needed.
Tended to sound like he was sitting back in an easy chair instead of on the edge of his seat. I thought Marty Glickman's energy was more suited for football.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

RichardBak wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:33 pm I always liked Keith Jackson. Schenkel, too.

For years I used to think Jackson was the same Keith Jackson who'd played end for KC, that like many players he'd gone into the booth when his playing days were over. Whoa, Nellie!
Jesus Christ, I meant Frank Jackson. Not the Keith Jackson TE with Philly. I'm still screwing the names up.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

RichardBak wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:23 am
RichardBak wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:33 pm I always liked Keith Jackson. Schenkel, too.

Jesus Christ, I meant Frank Jackson. Not the Keith Jackson TE with Philly. I'm still screwing the names up.
fum-BULLLLLL!!!
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

I never thought much of Schenkel as an announcer but I'll always remember a line of his from a golf tournament:

"Because of the intermittent rain, the golfers are having a hard time holding their balls on the green."

That was followed by several seconds of rather awkward silence.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

rhickok1109 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 8:31 am I never thought much of Schenkel as an announcer but I'll always remember a line of his from a golf tournament:

"Because of the intermittent rain, the golfers are having a hard time holding their balls on the green."

That was followed by several seconds of rather awkward silence.
Reminds me of an Ernie Harwell classic. While describing an altercation between catcher Bill Freehan and the home plate ump, where Freehan was pounding his mitt in disagreement, Ernie informed millions of listeners that Freehan was furiously "beating his meat" at home plate.

And the old tried and true joke about the newlyweds who were spotted alternating kisses at the ball game: "He kissed her on the strikes and she kissed him on the balls."
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

LeonardRachiele wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:34 pm It seemed to me that ABC used Schenkel to start off a game and then Keith Jackson would take over once ratings got favorable. In contrast to Schenkel, Jackson had an annoying twang to his voice. He always looked very sloppy and reminded me of hillbilly. Woo Nellie was one of his stupid expressions. I stopped watching the games because Jackson got on my nerves.
Being a country boy myself, I reckon I ought to be offended ... ya'll might need to dumb it down for me.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."