Quiz question: Rushing leaders and all-pro selections

Bob Gill

Quiz question: Rushing leaders and all-pro selections

Post by Bob Gill »

This is something I just thought of today. What NFL rushing leader failed to show up on a single all-pro first or second team for the season when he topped the league?

Admittedly, I haven't checked every single season, so it's possible that more than player qualifies here, but I doubt it.
Brian wolf

Re: Quiz question: Rushing leaders and all-pro selections

Post by Brian wolf »

I can't confirm UPI, or other All-Pro teams/votes but rushing leader Kareem Hunt wasn't voted AP All-Pro in 2017.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Brian wolf wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:32 pm I can't confirm UPI, or other All-Pro teams/votes but rushing leader Kareem Hunt wasn't voted AP All-Pro in 2017.
Ha! You're right -- and he wasn't named by the Sporting News or Pro Football Weekly either. So the guy I have in mind was not the only one. Very interesting.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

I didn't know, so I looked it up and found Hunt --- but also going way back -- Doug Russell --- but seems like he's the one.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

JohnTurney wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 11:27 pm I didn't know, so I looked it up and found Hunt --- but also going way back -- Doug Russell --- but seems like he's the one.
Yes, he's the one I was thinking of. To be honest, I can't name the rushing leaders for any recent seasons. But for some reasons I can remember almost all of them from before I was born.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I never knew that Charles White and Freeman McNeil were All-Pros the years they led in rushing. Eddie Price even led the league, but was barely included in the 100 greatest NY Giants.
Dickie Post led the AFL in rushing without All-Pro recognition.
Arian Foster was running well for the Texans and a coach in Kubiak who believed in it, before having injuries in 2015-16 that ended his career ...