Something dumb that you remember about watching the NFL

Reaser

Re: Something dumb that you remember about watching the NFL

Post by Reaser »

Mark wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:10 pm According to Wikipedia the Tuck Rule was only started in 1999 and was used against the Patriots earlier in the year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuck_Rule_Game
The Vinny T call his arm was moving forward.

The Billy Joe Hobert one fit the definition where he was actually bringing the ball back into his body -all in one motion- and got hit, fumbled. It was an absurd call, common sense wise, but fit what the "tuck rule" was.

Those weren't comparable to/didn't happen the same as the Brady pump fake, hit, fumble.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Would not a pump fake qualify as "any intentional forward movement of his arm" and even if not how would the official determine whether something was a pump fake or a change of mind? I never like rules that involve mind reading.

I think what annoys me about the conversation here though is this is a researchers forum and yet everyone is talking about "years of watching football before that game" without even taking two minutes to look up how long the rule was around. Two minutes may not lead to the best conclusions but is still better than nothing.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I never like rules that involve mind reading.
Speaking of which... Well, not necessarily mind reading but an official having to determine what WOULD have happened instead of what actually happened.... The whole receiver would have landed in bounds if he wasn't pushed so we'll call it a catch. I always hated that rule and was glad it was changed. If a defensive player is able to push the receiver out of bounds before he gets two feet in, that's a great play. Just as good as a tackle.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I miss how cool uniforms looked in the early 90s, probably the last years carrying over from the 50s ... once Reebok, then Nike took over, jersies started looking worse and worse. Maybe players liked them better but I miss the old school looks. I was happy when Parcells changed the Jets jersies back to the championship era.