SB Champions That Should Have Repeated

Brian wolf

Re: SB Champions That Should Have Repeated

Post by Brian wolf »

Had Smith caught the ball and tied the score, maybe the Steelers try to run more with the backs but Bradshaw was a big play gambler and it paid off going to Swann, who could contort his body from ballet lessons to draw a devastating pass interference penalty. The Cowboys still could have stopped them forcing a FG but the Harris TD blew the game wide open.
74_75_78_79_

Re: SB Champions That Should Have Repeated

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

The ’96 Cowboys should at least be mentioned. Going into the playoffs, despite finishing at only 10-6 and dealing with injuries that season, The Holmgren/Favre/Reggie Packers were still in search of their first win over Big D.

Dallas did beat Green Bay on MNF that season albeit Favre’s best weapons not at his disposal. But it doesn’t necessarily mean they win anyway. Dallas also beat the other SB-participant-to-be, Parcells’ Pats, penultimate week to make it 9-2 since that 1-3 start; their finale loss at DC was meaningless considering their playoff position already locked in.

The 13-3 Broncos would have really been a tough possible SB-opponent, but I felt going into the playoffs that a second repeat was the Boys’ to lose. And when they pounded Minny in the 1st Rd, that strengthened that thought.

All said though, I do feel now had Dallas got by Carolina, I lean on GB finally getting it done against them (as well as also, these days, at least not arguing if someone opines that had it been Denver in that SB instead, that GB would beat them), but of course you’d never know for sure. Dallas at Green Bay for the NFC Championship would have been highly anticipated, with the Packers’ last defeat being that very aforementioned MNF-loss!