The 6 Losses of the 1991 SF 49ers

CSKreager

The 6 Losses of the 1991 SF 49ers

Post by CSKreager »

The 91 49ers have been rhapsodized as the best team to ever miss the playoffs, how they turned a 3-6 start into 7 straight wins.

But rather than dig into the hot finish, I want to look at their 6 losses (by a combined 26 points).

Week 1 at NY- NFC CG rematch, Young vs Hostetler. Got beat yet again by Matt Bahr at the buzzer.

Week 3 at MIN- one of the TD allowed was on a circus play by Anthony Carter where he was seemingly tackled, but wasn't. Irony how THIS Viking team did what better Minnesota teams in 88-89 could not.

Week 5 at LA- Literally a game of all FG's and SF outgained the Raiders yet still got 6 points.

The two ATL losses- everyone knows about the hail mary in November, but I think a lot about the first game on October 13- SF's only home loss that year. Outgained ATL by 125+ yards, but a Deion kick return TD was the difference.

At New Orleans- 3 points. 3 points?!

At 3-6, the dynasty looked all but dead. Until they got to face the Cardinals/Rams to give them a false boost of confidence.

Long story short, they seem to be a classic frontrunner- great with a lead, but couldn't win if it got tight.

What say you?
Brian wolf

Re: The 6 Losses of the 1991 SF 49ers

Post by Brian wolf »

Steve Young could come off the bench with no pressure and do a great job. Now the starter, he had to adjust to the highs and lows of a season with high team expectations. Steve Bono came in and saved their season, similar to Purdy relieving Garappollo in 2022.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

That Oakland loss was not only bad but it set up events that would help the young Cowboys become champions.

Charles Haley was so upset after the loss that he created chaos in the locker room and the team had to summon Ronnie Lott from the opposite locker room to help calm him down. Haley was then traded to Dallas. Losing Lott, Craig and then Haley set the team back in my view. A crazy 1991 season.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:26 pm That Oakland loss was not only bad but it set up events that would help the young Cowboys become champions.

Charles Haley was so upset after the loss that he created chaos in the locker room and the team had to summon Ronnie Lott from the opposite locker room to help calm him down. Haley was then traded to Dallas. Losing Lott, Craig and then Haley set the team back in my view. A crazy 1991 season.
Craig was washed up after 1989. SB 24 (the game where he was going around talking about a three-peat) should have been his last in gold and red (they should have gotten rid of him in 1990).

However, Lott and Haley should have stayed with the team their whole career. Letting them go was a mistake, especially Haley (and to Dallas of all teams).
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Craig's injury happened in 1990. I still feel he could have helped them in 1991 but that fumble in the championship game made it easier for Seifert to let him go. Steve Young was a lot of their running game in 1991.