E.J. Holub

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Crazy Packers Fan

E.J. Holub

Post by Crazy Packers Fan »

As an NFL guy and not too knowledgeable on the AFL, I was unfamiliar with E.J. Holub, but now I am shocked that I didn't know of him. He started two Super Bowls at two different positions, the only one to ever do that. 7 times on either first or second-team All-AFL, five-time All-Star, three-time AFL champion... and while playing linebacker and center! I know the AFL is very underrepresented in the PFHOF, but surely he deserves consideration for the HOVG. I'll nominate him when the next ballot comes around.
JuggernautJ

Re: E.J. Holub

Post by JuggernautJ »

Crazy Packers Fan wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:38 pm As an NFL guy and not too knowledgeable on the AFL, I was unfamiliar with E.J. Holub, but now I am shocked that I didn't know of him. He started two Super Bowls at two different positions, the only one to ever do that. 7 times on either first or second-team All-AFL, five-time All-Star, three-time AFL champion... and while playing linebacker and center! I know the AFL is very underrepresented in the PFHOF, but surely he deserves consideration for the HOVG. I'll nominate him when the next ballot comes around.
More on E.J.:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._J._Holub#Early_years
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... luE.00.htm

I would bet there are more players than E.J. who started Super Bowls at more than one position. Ronnie Lott comes to mind (CB 81&84; S 88&89).
However, I don't know if there was anyone who started on offense on one occasion and defense on another... anyone?
Brian wolf

Re: E.J. Holub

Post by Brian wolf »

Holub was an outstanding linebacker on their first championship team in Dallas. Due to knee injuries and Stram wanting his toughness on offense, he switched over to center but competed against other outstanding centers for accolades. One of the toughest players in professional history undergoing at least 17 operations, when sports medicine was considered primitive.