2022/1989 Pittsburgh Steelers

74_75_78_79_

Re: 2022/1989 Pittsburgh Steelers

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Contrary to what SO MANY people who know me who know that I'm a Steelers-fan, I am NOT a Penguins-fan; nor Pirates-fan either. I'm still traumatized over 1960 despite the event being more than a decade before my birth! And does 'A Bronx Tale' EVER so remind me!!

I am a Steelers and Yankees fan. Some hard-core blue-collar Steeler-fans have said to me that it's "illegal" to like BOTH teams. I disagree. College football it's Penn State and then, from there, ALL Philly teams - Sixers, Temple Basketball (Men and Women), and...the Flyers!

Who won back-to-back Super Bowls and Stanley Cups in '74/'75 (and should/could have three-peated in '76 - Rocky/Franco out in AFFCG, Bernie Parent out in Stanley Cup)??

And here we are, the final game(s) of this NHL season. Flyers have to win their finale WITHIN regulation! Redwings have to lose their last game WITHIN regulation, and then..the Pens have to lose their game - tomorrow - WITHIN reg as well!

Man, this SO reeks final week '89 Steelers-esque!

Anything to give an excuse for pumping-up my favorite sports-team ever by, simply, reviving this thread!

If Flyers DO win (WITHIN regulation) tonight, this could be Steelers over Bucs, and TOMORROW night...could be Bengals/Vikings (RIP Billy Martin)!

Yes, I re-watched that very Christmas Night '89 event yesterday!

PS - John Tortorella pulling goalie end of 3rd period with game TIED?? YEP!
Go Flyers! Go '89 Steelers! Go Burnsie's Vikings (eternaly LOVE that Gatorade Bath Burgess M got)! Go ISLANDERS!
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

I am a Steelers and Yankees fan.
So was my mom. I heard a story about how she abused the TV after Maz's HR in 1960.

She was a big Steeler fan when I was growing up, but she wasn't as much into baseball (although I remember watching some of the Pirates' and Pens early-90's playoffs with her).
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

7DnBrnc53 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:13 am
I am a Steelers and Yankees fan.
So was my mom. I heard a story about how she abused the TV after Maz's HR in 1960.

She was a big Steeler fan when I was growing up, but she wasn't as much into baseball (although I remember watching some of the Pirates' and Pens early-90's playoffs with her).
It seems somehow appropriate, since the great Red Smith once wrote that rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for U.S. Steel :D
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

74_75_78_79_ wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:44 pm Had the 'Burgh simply just gotten by Denver on that first Sunday of the 1990s (or, perhaps, had they abandoned the shotgun to assist them through the Mile High crowd-noise end of game), we would have had ourselves a rubberband Steelers/Browns matchup for the conference title! Another high-stakes Noll vs Bud Carson chess match on the 10th Anniversary of SBXIV! And if Pittsburgh prevails, which likely-enough happens, we get ourselves the Ultimate David-vs-Goliath event EVER! Even more-so than Villanova/Georgetown '85! Even more-so than SBIII! I'm no odds-maker, but I'm thinking Vegas installs Mighty San Fran as a 20-point favorite at the very least; but I'm thinking 21 and a half! Simply the greatest point-spread in SB history either way.

For the longest time until recently I thought it would have been a colossal blowout, thus "Thank God" they got eliminated when they did to avoid Ultimate Embarrassment! But lately in life, the attitude has changed. No, it still may have been lopsided anyway. But, perhaps, more-so (as someone here opined quite some time ago) along the lines of the regular season affair that took place the following year. 27-7, but Steelers at least made it respectable a bit early on before making a costly mistake (Foster's gaffe) that you could simply ILL-afford to do against the 1989 San Francisco Forty Niners if you want a chance to keep up on the scoreboard! In either event (all-due-respect to the team that actually did win/earn the AFC title in '89) I can't at all see it being...55-10! Noll, a four-for-four-time Lombardi-winner simply tries to set the 'slow' tempo for the contest vs George Seifert and see what happens from there. You simply would...never KNOW (it's why they Play the Game)!
Neither PIT/CLE could have fared any worse in SB XXIV.

The Steelers/Browns could have played with blindfolds on and it would have been less lopsided than whatever the hell DEN put on out there.

One key is that DEN had the previous Super Debacles looming over their heads- PIT/CLE wouldn't have had that pressure.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

One key is that DEN had the previous Super Debacles looming over their heads- PIT/CLE wouldn't have had that pressure.
Especially the Steelers. Bubby Brister would have been too young and devil may care to know that he is supposed to get slammed.