Pittsburgh Steelers I 1958

LeonardRachiele

Pittsburgh Steelers I 1958

Post by LeonardRachiele »

1958 I
The Steelers went to San Francisco for the first game of the season. It was cost prohibitive, at that time, for CBS to telecast the game to Pittsburgh. Instead fans saw the New York Giants play the Chicago Cardinals. This was a home game for the Cardinals played at War Memorial Stadium in Buffalo, NY.

This really shows how communications have changed. Television from the West Coast is now the standard. It also shows that the Red Birds were not very popular at least in their latter years in Chicago. The White Sox were playing at Commiskey Park . A baseball team with 77 games bumps a football team with six home games or actually five in 1958.

Giants destroyed the Cardinals 37 to 7, though Chicago outgained them in total yards 330 to 295. As you might expect, New York recovered four fumbles and intercepted two passes. Sam Huff had one interception returned for 15 yards and Lindon Crow returned another for 34 yards.

The Giants had 252 yards rushing compared to 123 for Chicago. Frank Gifford and Alex Webster each had 90 yards rushing with Gifford scoring three touchdowns and Webster two. Ollie Matson with 60 yards had half Chicago's ground game.

New York's passing was nonexistent. Despite losing by 30 points, the Cardinals put up some impressive passing. M.C. Reynolds and Lamar McCann completed 19 of 35 passes 229 yards but no touchdown. John David Crow recovered a teammates' fumble in the Giants' End Zone for their only score. Gern Nagler caught five passes for 68 yards and Woodly Lewis caught six passes for 63 yards. As usual, Ollie Matson led the Cardinals in receiving with 76 yards.

So it goes for week one. New York defeated the Chicago Cardinals 37 to 7. Ollie had 42% of his teams yards. The 49ers edged the Steelers 23 to 20. In week two the Cleveland Browns defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers at Pitt Stadium 45 to 12. Thus Steelers began 0-2 in one of their best years.