1990's Chiefs

Brian wolf

Re: 1990's Chiefs

Post by Brian wolf »

Its a tough call SeahawksFever, but if Marv Levy can make the Hall, so should Dan Reeves. Canadian success might have also helped Levy but the Broncos won with a tough but resourceful defense and John Elway making plays with his arm and legs but NFC champions were simply stronger. With more talent surrounding John, Reeves might have gotten that elusive SB but mistakes would compound in the SB games. The Bills with Levy even faced off against the Broncos in a hard fought defensive game in the 1991 AFC Championship with the Bills advancing to their own defeat to the Redskins in the SB.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Before Schottenheimer, KC went to the playoffs only one time since the Dolphins playoff game in 1971. He won three division titles. Hank Stram won 4 in his tenure, which was much longer. Before KC, Marty made winners out of the Cleveland Browns. I understand that he didn't go to the Super Bowl with either team but was there an available coach during that period that you believe would have done significantly better in KC? Perhaps if they kept Levy they would have eventually made it to the Super Bowl. But 3 AFC West titles when you're up against teams led by Elway or Tim Brown or Seau every week - that's quite an achievement, IMO.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:58 pm Had Mahomes never came along, people would have said the same things about Reid, that Marty went through, though Reid at least won an NFC Championship with McNabb. Other than Montana, Marty's best QB was probably Rivers but thanks to Troy Brown stripping McCree of an interception that should have ended that playoff game against NE, we can only wonder if the Chargers could have won it all in 2006? Marty got fired anyway ...
Marty was also sunk twice by NY Jets legend Nate Kaeding. Missed a makeable field goal in OT vs NY in the 2004 Wild Card and 2009 Divisional Playoff. Three enormous misses in a 17-14 Jets victory. Jets D played very well but they got some luck that game too.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

SeahawkFever wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:59 am
Brian wolf wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:23 pm Like I detailed in another post awhile back, these were the quarterbacks for teams that beat Martyball in the postseason ...

Marino -- 1985, 90, 94
Elway -- 1986, 87, 97
Moon -- 1988
Kelly -- 1991, 93
Brady -- 2006

All in the HOF but he also lost to QBs, Humphries, Harbaugh and Pennington who had good seasons. Marty made coaching mistakes and his players made mistakes but he still deserves the HOF

Getting back to the Chiefs, the worst mistake Schotty might have made was not making Rich Gannon his starting QB in 1997.
Give that Marty Schottenheimer deserves the Hall of Fame in your opinion, does Dan Reeves also make the cut for you?
To me Reeves has to be in the Hall of Fame one way or another. He has had just an unbelievably large and impactful NFL life. Player - Assistant Coach with Landry's Cowboys - And then very good head coach. Won playoff games with 3 different franchises, went to Super Bowls with Denver and Atlanta...4 in total as a HC.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I had no idea that Todd Haley took the Chiefs to the playoffs in 2010 ... I must have been working that day. Loss to the Ravens.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

JohnH19 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:34 pm Marty went 101-58-1 in KC but he wasn’t the right guy for the job? Ridiculous! He was the right guy for any coaching job that opened up anywhere in the league as he proved in Cleveland and San Diego and would have proven in Washington. Marty didn’t miss the field goals and commit the fumbles that plagued him in his playoff career.
Right. I don't blame him for that. However, I think the Chiefs needed someone who would tear the organization down and do a complete rebuild (Marv Levy tried to, but failed. One reason was that team president Jack Steadman shoved Steve Fuller down his throat). Schottenheimer wasn't really the right person for that.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Steadman's "leadership" drove the fans away in droves. Peterson brought them back. When you think of power football, the sight of Christian Okoye coming at the defense looking like Juggernaut from an X-Men comic book, comes to mind ...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Brian wolf wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:07 pm Steadman's "leadership" drove the fans away in droves. Peterson brought them back. When you think of power football, the sight of Christian Okoye coming at the defense looking like Juggernaut from an X-Men comic book, comes to mind ...
I loved the early 90's matchup of the Chiefs and Chargers. Okoye/Word vs. Butts/Bernstine/Means. Chuck Jones announcing.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Bernstine was fun to watch and effective, slowed down once he went to the Broncos. Arthur Smith is creative running tight ends like Jonnu Smith and Pitts and may incorporate that aspect of running the ball with the Steelers. Russell Wilson could be a good fit there if he can help harness the young receivers game emotions.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

SeahawkFever wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:59 am
Brian wolf wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:23 pm Like I detailed in another post awhile back, these were the quarterbacks for teams that beat Martyball in the postseason ...

Marino -- 1985, 90, 94
Elway -- 1986, 87, 97
Moon -- 1988
Kelly -- 1991, 93
Brady -- 2006

All in the HOF but he also lost to QBs, Humphries, Harbaugh and Pennington who had good seasons. Marty made coaching mistakes and his players made mistakes but he still deserves the HOF

Getting back to the Chiefs, the worst mistake Schotty might have made was not making Rich Gannon his starting QB in 1997.
Give that Marty Schottenheimer deserves the Hall of Fame in your opinion, does Dan Reeves also make the cut for you?
Reeves, definitely. Chuck Knox also has a very strong case. George Seifert’s disastrous last season in Carolina shouldn’t eliminate him from strong consideration.