JOE NAMATH vs LEN DAWSON

Jay Z

Re: JOE NAMATH vs LEN DAWSON

Post by Jay Z »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:07 pm Your right Richard, the Jets defense was outstanding, but only from 1968-69. The front seven was very good from 1966 onward but their secondary was bad, thats why they signed the black-balled, Johnny Sample, one of the best moves Weeb Ewbank ever made. The Jets got lucky getting Jim Hudson for their defense as well and they jelled as a unit quickly.

The Chiefs defense stayed outstanding top to bottom from 1967 onward. Beating the Jets in the second matchup in 1967 kept the Jets from winning the division.
I cannot figure the Stram Chiefs out. I don't understand the team or its identity.

Stram didn't seem like he got everything out of his talent. Chiefs defense was very good, in 1969 they could be no better. But overall, six HOFers, seems like it should have been better than it was. Offensively, if your QB is a HOFer, why are you so conservative? And again, in a way that doesn't really make any consistent sense. You have the four headed RB in 1969, then your leading rusher the next year is Ed Podolak. Can't keep Abner Haynes effective, can't keep Mike Garrett happy. Lots of inconsistent performers on the offense. Frank Pitts gets hurt and disappears in 1970, is then traded but his replacement isn't as good. Organization seemed to go straight down the tubes after 1969 as well, bad draft after bad draft despite seeming harmony and actually getting a good stadium setup. Can anyone explain this team to me?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Great insight Jay Z ...

If ever there was a Head Coach who believed in the running back-by-committee approach, it was Hank Stram. I truly feel he wanted fresh backs and receivers like Taylor and Arbanas and just try to physically, pound teams into submission.

I dont know if its true but I read that the field in Municipal Stadium was kept in great shape by George Toma but was old and had drainage problems that made it muddy and slippery whenever it rained hard. That might be why Stram believed in physical running games and keeping Dawson from taking too many hits on a wet field ... does any researcher know the history of Municipal Stadium?
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:10 pm Haha ... that is not Joe Namath in the piss green suit!
You can tell because he doesn't have white shoes...?
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Of course it's not Joe WIllie.

It's Zeke Bratkowski. He's wearing Packer green. Side note: Like what you've done with your hair, Zeke!
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Jay Z wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:44 pm I cannot figure the Stram Chiefs out. I don't understand the team or its identity.

Stram didn't seem like he got everything out of his talent. Chiefs defense was very good, in 1969 they could be no better. But overall, six HOFers, seems like it should have been better than it was. Offensively, if your QB is a HOFer, why are you so conservative? And again, in a way that doesn't really make any consistent sense. You have the four headed RB in 1969, then your leading rusher the next year is Ed Podolak. Can't keep Abner Haynes effective, can't keep Mike Garrett happy. Lots of inconsistent performers on the offense. Frank Pitts gets hurt and disappears in 1970, is then traded but his replacement isn't as good. Organization seemed to go straight down the tubes after 1969 as well, bad draft after bad draft despite seeming harmony and actually getting a good stadium setup. Can anyone explain this team to me?
I think the Chiefs underachieved from 1966-1971. Once you get to 1972, they weren't going anywhere with that offense. The defense really wasn't all that great, either, as the whole team was getting old at the same time. Dawson was especially old, and the Chiefs were kind of stuck with Livingston at QB. I think the Chiefs could have won the SB in 1971, especially if they still had Mike Garrett and Frank Pitts (instead of Ed Podolak and Elmo Wright). They made some bad decisions on the offensive side of the ball. Imagine a backfield of David Jaynes, Jeff Kinney and Mike Adamle. Its interesting to me that KC was still thought to be contenders in 1973 when so many of their guys had passed their prime.

KC should have accomplished more from 1967-1970 specifically. They had top personnel on both sides of the ball, but they could never beat Oakland. Not really sure why Oakland had their number.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:10 pm Haha ... that is not Joe Namath in the piss green suit!
Brian, you might want to see a doctor … optometrist or urologist … or both.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen