How will Belichick's final chapter be written?

JWL

Re: How will Belichick's final chapter be written?

Post by JWL »

Brian wolf wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:50 am So what JWL? You would rather have Daboll than take a chance on Belichick? The Giants finished better than they started but it wasnt much better than the Patriots season. For much of the year they werent even averaging 14 points per game.
My comment was made purely because the Giants job is not open. If Daboll stinks in 2024 and Belichick is still out there jobless a year from now, then Belichick will certainly be a consideration for the Giants head coaching position.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

RichardBak wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:25 am If I were BB, I'd just ride off into the sunset, enjoy my millions, and grab a cushy multi-million-dollar job as a TV analyst. Life's short, and it sure as hell is a whole lot shorter when you're 72.
Life is short but the NFL record for most wins is (probably) forever. BB is 27 wins away and for someone in a profession where finishing 2nd or 3rd is "never enough" I can't see him voluntarily walking away at this point.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I understand the Giants giving Daboll a chance and honoring his contract JWL, but owners can do what they want and if I was one, I would rather grab BB than let him potentially go to Dallas in 2025. Of course would he want too much authority? The press speculated that he also may not want to coach in a large media city again but we will see ...
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

JuggernautJ wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:31 pm
RichardBak wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:25 am If I were BB, I'd just ride off into the sunset, enjoy my millions, and grab a cushy multi-million-dollar job as a TV analyst. Life's short, and it sure as hell is a whole lot shorter when you're 72.
Life is short but the NFL record for most wins is (probably) forever. BB is 27 wins away and for someone in a profession where finishing 2nd or 3rd is "never enough" I can't see him voluntarily walking away at this point.
Naw, no record lasts forever. As a kid who used to buy the NFL record book every year, I can remember when Bert Rechichar's 56-yd FG was still the record, then gasped when Tom Dempsey exceeded that by 7 yards--in other words, by 14%. Now 56-yd and to a lesser extent 60-yd FGs are no big deal. I remember when Namath's 4,007 yards were a big deal--and now even Curt Gowdy's one-legged Aunt Minnie regularly exceeds that total. And on and on in all sports. We won't be around to see it, but Shula's or BB's record wins will be bested by someone, sometime, especially as the regular season continues to expand (It'll be 18 games soon, and it'll eventually top out at 20, though probably not until another decade or so and all exhibition games are eliminated).
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

RichardBak wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:07 pm
Naw, no record lasts forever. As a kid who used to buy the NFL record book every year, I can remember when Bert Rechichar's 56-yd FG was still the record, then gasped when Tom Dempsey exceeded that by 7 yards--in other words, by 14%. Now 56-yd and to a lesser extent 60-yd FGs are no big deal. I remember when Namath's 4,007 yards were a big deal--and now even Curt Gowdy's one-legged Aunt Minnie regularly exceeds that total. And on and on in all sports. We won't be around to see it, but Shula's or BB's record wins will be bested by someone, sometime, especially as the regular season continues to expand (It'll be 18 games soon, and it'll eventually top out at 20, though probably not until another decade or so and all exhibition games are eliminated).
I'll give you that...
"Records were meant to be broken..." yada yada yada.

But some last an awfully long time and give the record holder a slice of immortality.
We still remember Ruth and XxXxxxx Gehrig even thought their records were broken.

And while the NFL season will inevitably get longer coaching tenure likely won't.
We (and the owners) have grown significantly short-sighted... I'd be surprised to see a coach last 20+ years in today's environment... wouldn't you?
Last edited by JuggernautJ on Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

JuggernautJ wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:06 am

I'll give you that...

But some last an awfully long time and give the record holder a slice of immortality.
We still remember Ruth and DiMaggio even thought their records were broken.
Someone hit safely in more than 56 consecutive games? How did I miss that? :D
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

rhickok1109 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:12 pm Someone hit safely in more than 56 consecutive games? How did I miss that? :D
:D
Clearly baseball are not us...
I meant Gehrig... he's the guy whose record that Ripkin fellow broke... right?
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

JuggernautJ wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:06 am

I'll give you that...

We still remember Ruth and DiMaggio even thought their records were broken.

And while the NFL season will inevitably get longer coaching tenure likely won't.
We (and the owners) have grown significantly short-sighted... I'd be surprised to see a coach last 20+ years in today's environment... wouldn't you?
DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak record hasn't been broken. Pete Rose came closest with 44 in 1978. The "experts" say DiMaggio's record will never be broken, but it is physically possible for someone to do it.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

SixtiesFan wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:01 pm DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak record hasn't been broken. Pete Rose came closest with 44 in 1978. The "experts" say DiMaggio's record will never be broken, but it is physically possible for someone to do it.
Thank you for correcting me again.
Anyone else care to zing me for my brain fart?

My baseball expertise is obviously questionable.
I think my point, however is valid: BB will probably return to coaching if offered the opportunity because he wants that record.