Quarterbacks that were hideous in bad weather???

Ness

Quarterbacks that were hideous in bad weather???

Post by Ness »

With the narrative surrounding Brock Purdy in 2023 with the games in Cleveland, and at home against the Packers, it got me thinking as to which quarterbacks were hideous in less than ideal weather. Tua Tagovailoa struggled against the Chiefs, and his arm just looked very lackluster in the cold. Same with Dan Fouts as the '81 AFC champ game showcased. Kenny Anderson was fine that day, so it really depends on the guy.

Rain is one thing, and I'm not sure if any quarterback has looked like dynamite in a downpour. Due to a variety of reasons. Apparently Aikman really felt uncomfortable because of the grip he usually used. Brock might have a similar issue, I don't know. I remember before Jared Goff was drafted the perception of him not being able to handle a wet ball was almost inescapable.

Funny enough as a 49ers fan, I don't think Joe Montana ever had to play in the snow, or even many if even one rain game his entire career. Mud games yeah. He did play in the bitter cold in the 1988 NFC title game, and was spectacular. So I guess he proved he could do it in less than ideal conditions.

EDIT: Montana did play in a downpour against the Bills in the 1980 season finale at Candlestick. Statline was unremarkable, but did throw a TD. 49ers still lost that game 19-13.
conace21

Re: Quarterbacks that were hideous in bad weather???

Post by conace21 »

I think Montana proved that he could play in less-than-ideal conditions in his final college game, the 1979 Cotton Bowl. It was the day after a surprise ice storm hit Dallas, and the wind chill was below zero. Montana missed the start of the 2nd half, as his body temperature fell to 96 degrees. He managed to come back in the game and lead a 22 point 4th quarter comeback for the win.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Joe Montana had good hands and hardly ever fumbled but Steve Young had problems in wet, muddy conditions in the postseason. Weather somewhat hindered him in the 1992 divisional, championship and 1996 Lambeau Field divisional games, I felt.

Stabler and Bradshaw could have some bad weather games, they would want back but Bradshaw also had great games in bad weather, being underrated today, I feel ...
Ness

Post by Ness »

Brian wolf wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:13 am Joe Montana had good hands and hardly ever fumbled but Steve Young had problems in wet, muddy conditions in the postseason. Weather somewhat hindered him in the 1992 divisional, championship and 1996 Lambeau Field divisional games, I felt.

Stabler and Bradshaw could have some bad weather games, they would want back but Bradshaw also had great games in bad weather, being underrated today, I feel ...
Well Steve Young barely played in the 1996 divisional game against the Packers due to the rib injury he suffered against the Eagles in the wild card round. However, your point is taken. The 1992 playoff campaign, and the 1997 playoff campaigns didn't do him any favors when the weather got bad.
Ness

Post by Ness »

conace21 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:04 pm I think Montana proved that he could play in less-than-ideal conditions in his final college game, the 1979 Cotton Bowl. It was the day after a surprise ice storm hit Dallas, and the wind chill was below zero. Montana missed the start of the 2nd half, as his body temperature fell to 96 degrees. He managed to come back in the game and lead a 22 point 4th quarter comeback for the win.
You are right, and I had completely forgot to take Montana's collegiate career into consideration. Seems like the odds would be against him with his less than ideal arm talent he had to work with, but he was able to have some quality performances in cold weather games with big stakes.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The cold, windy weather, hampered Bill Nelson against the Colts and Vikings in the NFL Championship games but he played well in the rain and mud against Dallas in the 69 playoff. In the 68 playoff against Dallas he was decent as Leroy Kelly had a big game in Cleveland.

Don Meredith had a bad Ice Bowl for the Cowboys and was also bad in his final cold weather playoff game against the Browns in 1968.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I was going to mention that 18-13 loss in SF against Buffalo in 1980 but you beat me to it Ness. Despite the weather and a tough Bills defense, Joe had the crowd on their feet trying to win it with passes in the endzone at the very end. This game, the 49er win against NE that season(I only have a small partial game) the victory over Washington in 1981 and the 1983 season opener against Philly are games of the Montana era, I am still trying to add to my collection.

In retrospect, that rainy weather win against the Oilers in 1981 still rankles me because Paul Hofer should have never played in that game. His knee injury in that game ended his career, so close to the playoffs.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

My Uncle Johnny liked to toss the ball around with us kids when he and Aunt Sophie were up from Youngstown. He looked just like George Blanda but threw like, well, Aunt Sophie. It probably was because he was drunk most of the time. Anyway, one icy winter day he tried throwing us a pass and wound up falling over and sliding on his ass the entire length of the driveway, right into the street. Lucky he wasn't run over by a passing car. Sure, this ain't an NFL memory, but like I said, he looked like George Blanda. (Come to think of it, Aunt Sophie kinda looked like Art Rooney, but w/o the cigar. She was not a handsome woman.)
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Ryan Leaf in the rain against the Chiefs.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Reaser wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:01 am Ryan Leaf in the rain against the Chiefs.
Or Ryan Leaf in any weather. :D