Super Wild Card Weekend

Brian wolf

Re: Super Wild Card Weekend

Post by Brian wolf »

While still trying to watch on replays the games I missed this weekend, thoughts on the first two saturday games ...

--Yes, Flacco screwed up making an errant throw while being hit inside Texans territory that was ran back the other way for a commanding lead for the eventual Texans win. Before that interception, he threw a 20 yard strike that gave the Browns a first down with a chance to advance and cut the Texans lead to 24-21 or at least 24-17 but in the next 2:30 minutes, he throws two interception return TDs that turns the game into a rout.

Up until the 6:30 mark left in the 3rd quarter, Flacco had played well, throwing for two TDs and keeping the Browns in the ballgame as the Browns defense was making tackles for loss with speedy linebacker Owusu Koramoah but getting shredded in the secondary by the rookie Stroud, as Flacco tried to overcome a 24-14 deficit. Will Flacco come back and try to play again in 2024 or will the door close on his comeback and perhaps career?

I hope he comes back, if not for the Browns, another team. I think he can still play.

--The Dolphins werent built for cold weather and it showed in KC, where they tried to do ball-control passing early in the game but couldnt execute. The Dolphins didnt run the ball enough and the defense couldnt stay off the field as the Chiefs built their lead.
What killed Miami though was a crucial third down penalty at the 12:30 mark of the 4th QTR by Wilkins with a damn ticky-tack roughing the passer penalty that helped the Chiefs continue to eat the clock before scoring another TD to make it a rout. Great pass rush by Karlaftis to end the Dolphins season. Tua Tags made strides this year but will the Dolphins pay him to be their future?
He could end up walking from the team but many fans think the Dolphins can be a contender next year ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Not really big on alot of network announcing teams but I have to give some due to Kevin Burkhardt for Fox, with Greg Olsen this past sunday calling the Cowboys-Packers game.

Even early in the game, Burkhardt was questioning and openly wondering what was going on between Dak Prescott and CeeDee Lamb, as the two --who dominated all year in DeathStar Stadium -- were having problems with communication and execution early on. Gamblers of course had to have been sceptical as well considering the Cowboys had a 16 game winning streak there, averaging over 37 points a game this season. If announcers feel players are playing dubiously or hurting their teams, like Kerby Joseph for the Lions, who got away with borderline hits against the Rams, they need to speak up more like Burkhardt.

The Cowboys downplayed the "confusion" between the two, even when Erin Andrews inquired McCarthy about it, who said they were communicating defensive strategy, while down 27-7. They played better in the second half but it was too little to late.

One thing I have learned watching Prescott, who I feel the Cowboys need to move away from, is that when he is leaving the pocket and running around trying to get yardage and what-not, his passing performance is usually bad. With a 60 million dollar cap hit next year, the Cowboys need to think ahead because that ankle injury has taken too much mobility from him and he simply isnt a clutch QB, no matter where he plays.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

After watching a replay of the only competitive playoff game this weekend, the Rams had every chance to take this game in Detroit but couldnt do it.

Of course its difficult when youre QB suffers a concussion before the start of the 4th quarter but the Rams in two critical possessions had first downs at the Lions 11yrd line and later the Lions 14 yrd line and only threw the ball one time into the endzone, which was incomplete before settling for FGs. I still never know why teams arent more aggressive throwing into ten yards of space into the endzone. Yes, a shorter area for the defense to cover but thats why QBs have to look off defenders while finding the open receiver ...

The critical play was inside of 4:35, when on 3rd and 4 with a chance to take the lead, Hutchinson for the Lions has a huge pass rush with forces a holding penalty to 3rd and 14, where the Rams eventually punt and the Lions' offense does a good job picking up first downs and running out the clock.