Ernie McMillan

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Shipley

Ernie McMillan

Post by Shipley »

I'd be interested to hear the group's take on Ernie McMillan's potential as a HOVG candidate. Just a quick summary of his credentials, he played 15 seasons, 14 with the Cards and one with the Packers, was all-pro one year and second team seven more times, played in four pro bowls, and was part of the 1975 St. Louis offensive line that gave up a then-record eight sacks in one season. By all accounts, he was athletic, hard working, durable, and a leader who served as team co-captain. He seems like he should at least be part of the HOVG discussion (and maybe he has been), but I'd welcome thoughts from those who are closer to the selection process.
JohnTurney

Re: Ernie McMillan

Post by JohnTurney »

Shipley wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:26 pm I'd be interested to hear the group's take on Ernie McMillan's potential as a HOVG candidate. Just a quick summary of his credentials, he played 15 seasons, 14 with the Cards and one with the Packers, was all-pro one year and second team seven more times, played in four pro bowls, and was part of the 1975 St. Louis offensive line that gave up a then-record eight sacks in one season. By all accounts, he was athletic, hard working, durable, and a leader who served as team co-captain. He seems like he should at least be part of the HOVG discussion (and maybe he has been), but I'd welcome thoughts from those who are closer to the selection process.
https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com ... s-pro.html
Halas Hall

Post by Halas Hall »

I think both Ernie McMillan and Bob DeMarco are prime candidates from the Cardinals for the Hall of Very Good. Ernie's son Erik was a decent Safety with the Jets for a bit in the late 1980's.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Halas Hall wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:37 pm I think both Ernie McMillan and Bob DeMarco are prime candidates from the Cardinals for the Hall of Very Good. Ernie's son Erik was a decent Safety with the Jets for a bit in the late 1980's.
if you had to vote for either one which one would you vote for and why
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

That's a really good question and my top-of-mind answer is you could make the case for either one. I've brought up McMillan before and never thought of DeMarco, but after doing a little research they had amazingly similar careers and honors in addition to being teammates. Both had long and productive 15-year careers and were remarkably durable and consistent. Would need to do more research or better yet sit back and listen to the group.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Shipley wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:50 pm That's a really good question and my top-of-mind answer is you could make the case for either one. I've brought up McMillan before and never thought of DeMarco, but after doing a little research they had amazingly similar careers and honors in addition to being teammates. Both had long and productive 15-year careers and were remarkably durable and consistent. Would need to do more research or better yet sit back and listen to the group.

This is JMO, but I've always thought of McMillan being tough to beat physically, whereas DeMarco was more of a technician. Both were effective, but I would rate McMillan higher than DeMarco. If DeMarco is like Jeff Van Note, then McMillan is Mike Kenn.