Incredible officiating moment in Packers-Vikings

Bryan

Incredible officiating moment in Packers-Vikings

Post by Bryan »

This isn't really based on anything, but it seems like the Packers have had a lot of weird calls go against them the last couple years. I give Matt LaFleur a lot of credit for not completely losing it on the sidelines at times.

Last night's game featured a call/explanation that I have never heard before. Packers punt returner waiting for ball, before the ball gets to him he makes a late fair catch signal and then catches the ball. While he's catching the punt, a Viking player tackles him. Flag is thrown. In every year prior to this one, its an obvious fair catch interference call. But this season is different. The ref picks up the flag with the explanation of "there is no foul on the play because the Vikings player had already begun to tackle the Packer player." Thanks! Terry McCauley's comment is "I have no idea how that call is made". Good stuff.
ChrisBabcock

Re: Incredible officiating moment in Packers-Vikings

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I saw that play too and was amazed at the non call. Sure, the Vikings player may have began the "process" of the tackle but had an ample second or so to let up after the fair catch signal. Also it's entirely possible that he didn't see the fair catch signal because his head was sort of down but that shouldn't be an excuse.
Citizen

Re: Incredible officiating moment in Packers-Vikings

Post by Citizen »

For a lot of fans, the thing that drives them crazy about NFL officiating is the inconsistency. Something gets called in one game, and the identical thing gets ignored in another game. I too thought there was no way that wasn't a penalty.