NFL's only 4-point game (100 years ago)

Crazy Packers Fan

NFL's only 4-point game (100 years ago)

Post by Crazy Packers Fan »

As a follower of the whole Scorigami craze, I noticed that there is just one game in NFL history where a team scored exactly 4 points. Racine Legion 10, Chicago Cardinals 4. And it happened exactly 100 years ago next week.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 250crd.htm

Believe it or not, there's an entire play-by-play of that game in the Chicago Tribune of 11/26/1923. Back when newspapers gave the entire account of games, from start to finish (which is right up my alley). This might be an interesting topic for the Coffin Corner. I suppose it's too late for the 100th anniversary of the game, but this is one of those bizarre moments in NFL history that ought to be researched. (Should I do it? Maybe. I'm just hardly an expert of football from that era, and I know many of you know that era way better than me.)
JuggernautJ

Re: NFL's only 4-point game (100 years ago)

Post by JuggernautJ »

It is interesting that, as the Cardinals points were (of course) scored on two safeties, all the scoring for both teams was done when Racine had the ball.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

74_75_78_79_ wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:37 am I attended THIS game…

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... penn-state
Was this you?

fan.jpg
fan.jpg (46.48 KiB) Viewed 982 times
Crazy Packers Fan

Post by Crazy Packers Fan »

As an aside, I think the hardest score possible in football is 10-1. That requires a one-point defensive safety (which would never realistically happen) and then it would require two more safeties for the leading team without any other points. You could simulate a million games and that score wouldn't come up once.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

RichardBak wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:24 am
74_75_78_79_ wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:37 am I attended THIS game…

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... penn-state
Was this you?

fan.jpg
Good guess, lol, but no. I do have a #17 PSU jersey, but its white (of course for the 'White Out' games). And I didn't get it until a few years later (Daryll Clark).

Never a stranger to adult-beverages in live-game situations throughout my life (and Beaver Stadium is, arguably, the Best Stadium in the Country to Tailgate; Alaskan Airlines, without argument, Numero Uno in SAIL-gating), but a few when I simply didn't have a drop. Both Steeler/Eagles games in Philly, '91 & '22, are other examples.

As for this very 2004 Beaver Stadium affair - no drink, my team lost, but still a fun time as expected in such a 'temporary-3rd-biggest-city-in-PA' venue! And the way that defense played (albeit, yes, the opposing QB was telegraphing things throughout) was quite reminiscent of those '80s Nittany Lion defenses! No National Championships to come but, FWIW, a signal for what was to come starting the following season, winning again at least. They'd finish #3 in 2005 (to Texas/USC), 11-1 and just barely losing in 'The Big House', Michael Robinson at QB playing great all-year as well as valiant in that lone defeat! I really wish he would have been given, at least, just ONE chance to play QB in the NFL! Just one chance!