Jets-VS-Giants history

Brian wolf

Re: Jets-VS-Giants history

Post by Brian wolf »

From what I read, Paul Brown only agreed to join the AFL with his expansion team knowing of a merger. He was a factor in realignment as well, not accepting a 16-10 imbalance of teams.
Last edited by Brian wolf on Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Brian wolf wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:13 pm He was a factor in realignment as well, not accepting a 16-10 imbalance of teams.
I think the 16-10 was unacceptable to most, if not all, AFL owners. So much so, I think they put Rozelle into the position
of the dry run lottery that was really a joke when the first results came out (Mentioned earlier with Bengals in the NFC
and the others) Rozelle knew that AFL proposal wouldn't work.

He knew something else had to happen, namely 3 NFL teams moving and none could be SF, NYG or LA.
65 toss power trap

Post by 65 toss power trap »

Regarding intercity rivalries in the same division or conference.

This was addressed when there was a 3-team sweepstakes for a shared venue in the L.A. market between St. Louis, San Diego, and Oakland. It was essentially a guaranteed win for the Rams, because there was talk about a realignment if the Chargers and Raiders shared a stadium. The thought was that the Broncos and Chiefs would not accept the LA teams having an extra home division game. I think this thinking also extends to having the teams in the same conference, consistent with a few provisions in the bylaws regarding realignment:
(E) The New York Giants and the New York Jets shall not be assigned to the same conference without the consent of both clubs.

(F) The San Francisco 49ers and the Oakland Raiders shall not be assigned to the same conference without the prior consent of both clubs unless the conferences are divided into smaller numerical groupings, i.e., divisions; in such case, the 49ers and the Raiders may be assigned to the same conference, but may not be placed in the same division or other smallest numerical grouping of clubs within the same conference.

(G) Any realignment of the League must be approved by the affirmative vote of three-fourths of the existing member clubs of the League, except that in the case of two-franchise areas (e.g., New York Giants/New York Jets), no realignment placing both franchises in the same conference can be approved without the consent of the two franchises.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

65 toss power trap wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:19 pm Regarding intercity rivalries in the same division or conference.

This was addressed when there was a 3-team sweepstakes for a shared venue in the L.A. market between St. Louis, San Diego, and Oakland. It was essentially a guaranteed win for the Rams, because there was talk about a realignment if the Chargers and Raiders shared a stadium. The thought was that the Broncos and Chiefs would not accept the LA teams having an extra home division game. I think this thinking also extends to having the teams in the same conference, consistent with a few provisions in the bylaws regarding realignment:
(E) The New York Giants and the New York Jets shall not be assigned to the same conference without the consent of both clubs.

(F) The San Francisco 49ers and the Oakland Raiders shall not be assigned to the same conference without the prior consent of both clubs unless the conferences are divided into smaller numerical groupings, i.e., divisions; in such case, the 49ers and the Raiders may be assigned to the same conference, but may not be placed in the same division or other smallest numerical grouping of clubs within the same conference.

(G) Any realignment of the League must be approved by the affirmative vote of three-fourths of the existing member clubs of the League, except that in the case of two-franchise areas (e.g., New York Giants/New York Jets), no realignment placing both franchises in the same conference can be approved without the consent of the two franchises.
I love the "consent of both clubs" caveats. Interesting though concerning the recent events concerning LA Market
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

65 toss power trap wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:19 pm Regarding intercity rivalries in the same division or conference.

Interesting stuff....thanks for bringing this to light. Tangentially related, I remember reading something that outlined the difference of the AFL and NFL bylaws in regards to the merger. The NFL required a unanimous vote, while the AFL only required a majority vote. The NFL franchises voted unanimously to merge, but the AFL was split 5-3. New York, Oakland & San Diego voted against the merger because they did not agree with paying indemnification to the NFL. I found that to be noteworthy, because if the AFL required a unanimous vote then the merger might have been stalled.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Gary Najman wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:15 pm
sheajets wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:48 am
Gary Najman wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:18 pm There was a time in the 80s that the "other" #56 in NY (Lance Mehl) was playing at a Pro Bowl level, and it was showcased in ESPN.

IIRC in 1988 they met in the last game of the season, and the Jets knocked out the Giants out of the playoffs.

It will be interesting to list players who have played for both franchises. I remember off the top of my head P Dave Jennings and C Joe Fields in the 80s, and a few years ago WR Brandon Marshall. And of course WR Don Maynard.
Technically no since the Giants could still make it with a 49ers win over the Rams on Sunday night. But as Phil Simms said in the postgame, the 9ers will lay down like dogs that day...Rams 38 49ers 16

few other Jets and Giants. Sam Garnes, David Meggett, Damon Harrison, Jumbo Elliot
How could I forget about Jumbo Elliott. His TD catch in the 2000 Monday Night Miracle game against Miami is a classic.
Yep. Was a layup of a catch that he bobbled but it made the play that much more memorable and one of those things etched in my mind as a beautiful job by NFL films capturing that moment in slow mo.

How that Jets team missed the playoffs that year... :x very frustrating