Should Ricky Watters be the next RB in Canton?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Zero26

Re: Should Ricky Watters be the next RB in Canton?

Post by Zero26 »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:I'd say no on Watters and I think there's a better methodology here than who showed up on the most ballots. What if you weighted it so a 1st place vote was worth 5 points, a 2nd 3 points, and a 3rd 1 point? Or you could do something fancier like a Borda count.

Also, I couldn't get the numbers to add up:
readjack wrote: 0 votes: Barber, Jackson, Lewis, Taylor
1 vote: Dillon, George
5 votes: Alexander, Holmes
9 votes: Ricky Watters

9/10 of us
I think there should be 30 votes (10 folks each with 3 votes), but I only see 21 votes above:

Dillon: 1
George: 1
Alexander: 5
Holmes: 5
Watters: 9
I don't think my post directly addressed it but my vote would be for Alexander. A bit perplexed he's been nowhere to be found thus far in the HOF process but I have faith he will be found.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Zero26 wrote: I don't think my post directly addressed it but my vote would be for Alexander. A bit perplexed he's been nowhere to be found thus far in the HOF process but I have faith he will be found.
Too bad the OP didn't come back, but my thought was if they looked at the voting how I suggested, Alexander might come out on top - he would have been my choice too.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:
Zero26 wrote: I don't think my post directly addressed it but my vote would be for Alexander. A bit perplexed he's been nowhere to be found thus far in the HOF process but I have faith he will be found.
Too bad the OP didn't come back, but my thought was if they looked at the voting how I suggested, Alexander might come out on top - he would have been my choice too.
I heard the voting took place in the state of Florida.
Zero26

Post by Zero26 »

Bryan wrote:
TanksAndSpartans wrote:
I heard the voting took place in the state of Florida.
This just in, Ricky Williams won the poll scoring a shocking upset!
readjack

Post by readjack »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:
Zero26 wrote: Too bad the OP didn't come back, but my thought was if they looked at the voting how I suggested, Alexander might come out on top - he would have been my choice too.
Sorry! Hi. I agree: I'm surprised Alexander hasn't gained support in 10 years of eligibility. Our PFHOF mock committee has had him consistently in our semifinals, yet when we had this call, there were some new people and they just didn't feel like he was dangerous as a runner, and had a short peak. He doesn't feel like a "short career" guy because he didn't have that singular devastating injury like TD or Priest, but they pointed to his entire run being contained in five seasons, albeit consecutive and culminating in his record-setting 2005.

In an interview I did in 2013 with Hunter Hillenmeyer about Adrian Peterson, (https://readjack.wordpress.com/2015/08/ ... mortality/) I asked Hunter for other RBs who the Bears worried about and game-planned for, and when he didn't mention Alexander I asked him about him specifically, since the Bears obviously played some huge games against Alexander. Hunter's response:

"Shaun never struck me as that (??). He was great at getting tough yards but he still usually got tackled. He might carry a guy for an extra two-and-a-half yards, but I never got the impression that Shaun was a guy who could break three tackles and then go for 40 extra yards. You see that every single day from AP."

That was the essence of the complaints of some of the guys in our RB call, so it's totally possible that that's what's holding him back with voters. But I do think that as voters try to sort out all of these 2000s running backs, they'll look for resume elements that distinguish one guy from another, and 100 rushing touchdowns is a big-ass number that distinguishes him.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

It will be interesting when Marshawn Lynch becomes eligible. I would endorse him because he ran angry and like Walter Payton and recently Derrick Henry, would dare the defenses to tackle him. With postseason he has over 100 career TDs and was a missed carry away from back-to-back championships. Had clutch NE linebacker Dont'a Hightower not made a great tackle of him inside the two yard line, the SB would have went to Seattle ...
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

If you're going to consider Priest Holmes and Ricky Watters, why not think about LeSean McCoy?

Versatile back, 6x Pro Bowl, 2x first-team All-Pro, 2x SB champ, 15k career total yards, 6x 1,000+ yard rushing seasons, 89 total touchdowns; dynamic when he was with the Eagles from 2010 to 2014;

However, not eligible until 2025.