Bill Brown: the Jim Marshall of RBs

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JameisBrownston

Re: Bill Brown: the Jim Marshall of RBs

Post by JameisBrownston »

Marshall is listed as a starter for all his games. Was this just a sham to keep his start streak going by the mid-70s, where he played the first snap and had very little part in the rest of the game anymore?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Possibly, but Grant either felt he could still be disruptive or felt his leadership was necessary for newer players. Though he had 7 sacks in 1975, he probably should have retired after the Hail Mary playoff game. The Raiders caved in his side of the field in the 1976 SB but Marshall was never big anyway. A high motor player.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

JameisSaintston wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:43 pm Marshall is listed as a starter for all his games. Was this just a sham to keep his start streak going by the mid-70s, where he played the first snap and had very little part in the rest of the game anymore?

Somebody once posted on here that Grant would start Marshall to keep his consecutive start streak alive, and after the first game, Marshall would be on the bench. I cannot personally attest to this, but I do recall that when I first read this, I considered the author to be knowledgeable.
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

Btw, why is there nothing aberrant on Marshall's PFR card due to the wrong-way run? I'd expect it to be recorded as a large negative number of fumble-return yards.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

JameisSaintston wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:46 pm Btw, why is there nothing aberrant on Marshall's PFR card due to the wrong-way run? I'd expect it to be recorded as a large negative number of fumble-return yards.
On the gamebook Marshall is credited with a fumble return for -60 yards. Apparently it didn't make it to the official records. The NFL has not always been consistent in scoring attempts and yardage for some of the oddball plays.