The best, and the worst, trio of 'final four' games in a season?

74_75_78_79_

The best, and the worst, trio of 'final four' games in a season?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Of all the years when both CCs were dandies along with the SB itself, which threesome, collectively, is the very best IYO? And of all the years when both CCs, and also the SB, were bad - which such threesome is collectively at the very bottom?

For the best, the first to come to mind is 2008! But then I remember that - despite it still being a suspenseful game most of the way and enough a classic in its own right (a Troy P Masterpiece) - the Steelers pulled away from Baltimore just enough at the end of that AFCCG, making the final score 23-14.

I then look to 2011...Patriots 23, Ravens 20; Giants 20, Forty Niners 17 OT; Giants 21, Patriots 17!! This may be #1. Correct me if not.

The worst? 2000: Giants 41, Vikings 0; Ravens 16, Raiders 3; Ravens 34, Giants 7!! What IS worse? Yes, I think '84. But Steelers at least giving Miami a game early on, leading 14-10 at one point, keeps 2000 beneath it. That '00 trio is truly dull! Winner of each game by a combined 91-10!!

The current thread I just started, best and worst 21st Century seasons...if you're old-school and wish the NFL was what it used to be, you'd think 2000 would be the choice because its the closest possible to the '90s/'80s/'70s/etc. Three outstanding defenses that year! First being the Obvious, then the even-better-than-last-year Titans, and then Fox/Strahan's Giants who Bettis opined was actually better than Baltimore's! But its those damn three 'final four' games that automatically prevent you from wanting to place that season anywhere hear #1!
Brian wolf

Re: The best, and the worst, trio of 'final four' games in a season?

Post by Brian wolf »

1995 a good choice ... Exciting wins for Dall and Pitts against GB and Indy and a closer SB with the Steelers missing out against Dallas.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

The worst:
1973 - Dolphins and Vikings both winning 27-10 in the CC, and then that dull thudder of a Super Bowl VIII.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

1985 had a very blah set of CC games and Super Bowl.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

1970 was strong as well. Exciting championship games in old Memorial and Kezar Stadium and a crunching, defensive SB

2009 as well. Great games with the Saints-Vikings and Colts-Jets and then the Saints beating a Manning team for the SB. What a script!

I think 2000 was worse than 1973. The championship games were closer than the final scores, though the Vikings and Dolphins ran the ball at will.