Latest lead taken and blown

Crazy Packers Fan

Latest lead taken and blown

Post by Crazy Packers Fan »

Thinking about that 2021 AFC Divisional Playoff got me thinking... what is the latest a team has taken a lead and went on to lose the game? For example, a team down 21-17 scores a touchdown with :15 left, taking a 24-21 lead, only to allow a field goal in the final 15 seconds, and lose in overtime.
CSKreager

Re: Latest lead taken and blown

Post by CSKreager »

2008 Bears/Falcons

ATL trailed with 13 seconds left and won
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

CSKreager wrote:2008 Bears/Falcons

I'm surprised I don't remember that game...
But it looks like it was quite the ending!
(and it looks like they were down with eleven seconds to go...)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 120atl.htm
With 11 seconds left the Bears took a one point lead (Kyle Orton to Rashied Davis; Gould Extra Point) then Jason Elam won the game with a Field Goal as time ran out...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The Bills still havent lived that playoff loss down ... If McDermott gets fired, this loss may be the culprit because its been three years now since the Championship game appearance ... Would ownership go with someone new, if they lost in the divisional round again?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JuggernautJ wrote:

I'm surprised I don't remember that game...
But it looks like it was quite the ending!
(and it looks like they were down with eleven seconds to go...)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 120atl.htm
With 11 seconds left the Bears took a one point lead (Kyle Orton to Rashied Davis; Gould Extra Point) then Jason Elam won the game with a Field Goal as time ran out...
It was typical Lovie Smith nonsense. I've never understood why teams do the squib kick when they are only up by a FG (and in this case, the Bears were only up by 2 points!). You give the opposition immediate field position. One completed pass an the other team is in FG range. This is exactly what happened.
Crazy Packers Fan

Post by Crazy Packers Fan »

Thanks! Somehow I didn't even remember Jason Elam going to Atlanta.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Music city Miracle is probably close to that - I don't know exactly how many seconds were left in regulation. My guess is that there have been a few times that a team has taken a lead and then the opposing team scored a TD on the kickoff return to win.

Also, what was the time left on that classic Lions/Colts game in the 60s? Lions got a long pass for a TD right after Baltimore scored. Leeny Moore caught a TD pass and then the Lions scored on a long pass to win.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good example on The Music City Miracle game ... I still feel had Flutie played, the Bills would have advanced. Their defense shut down the Titans.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Brian wolf wrote:The Bills still havent lived that playoff loss down ... If McDermott gets fired, this loss may be the culprit because its been three years now since the Championship game appearance ... Would ownership go with someone new, if they lost in the divisional round again?
Changing coaches is a risk

See: Chargers

Buffalo doesn’t want their Norv Turner equivalent
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:Music city Miracle is probably close to that - I don't know exactly how many seconds were left in regulation. My guess is that there have been a few times that a team has taken a lead and then the opposing team scored a TD on the kickoff return to win.

Also, what was the time left on that classic Lions/Colts game in the 60s? Lions got a long pass for a TD right after Baltimore scored. Leeny Moore caught a TD pass and then the Lions scored on a long pass to win.
I saw the ending of the 1960 Lions-Colts game on TV. After receiving the kickoff after Lenny Moore's TD catch, the Lions had time for one play. I still have it in my mind's eye; Morrall dropping straight back, throwing a long pass to Jim Gibbon who ran into the end zone. The clock ran out while Gibbon was running down the sideline. They lined up and kicked the extra point anyway.

The play looked so easy watching it on TV in "real time."