Interesting take on Polian

JohnTurney

Interesting take on Polian

Post by JohnTurney »

for complete article click on link

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/co ... autologin=

Let's start with Polian, on the ballot as a contributor – considered apart from players and coaches -- and whose Hall of Fame credentials are impeccable but for one thing: He might not be retired. Polian had been in talks recently with the Buffalo Bills about advising the front office, then overseeing it. Talks fell apart after coach Doug Marrone resigned, but the timing hurt Polian with some Hall of Fame voters.

"The Hall is the final line you cross, your final gift as you head out the door," one voter told me. "That's why it took Bill Parcells so long (before his enshrinement in 2013), because we were never sure he was retired. Now it's the same with Polian."

All is not lost, however. Every voter I spoke with told me Polian will make it this week if the electorate is convinced he is retired for good. Convincing them will fall to his presenter, ESPN's Paolantonio – each finalist's candidacy is presented to voters by one person – who will talk to Polian before making that presentation.

"If Polian convinces Sal he's retired – and if Sal convinces us – Polian's a slam dunk," a voter told me.
bachslunch

Re: Interesting take on Polian

Post by bachslunch »

Question: contributors don't have to be retired in order to be elected, do they? Owners can be voted in while still active, so that should hold true for GMs, am guessing.