Role Players With A SB Ring That People Felt Good For

Gary Najman

Re: Role Players With A SB Ring That People Felt Good For

Post by Gary Najman »

Mark Brunell with the 2009 Saints, in his 16th NFL season. He even got to start the last game of the season after not throwing a pass in his first two years in New Orleans. I bet many didn’t think at the time that he was still active.

Another backup QB I think was Jeff Rutledge. After going to the SuperBowl as a rookie with the Rams, many also didn’t knew he was still active and had that key 4th down play with the Giants in Super Bowl XXI. Then he won another ring with the Redskins 5 years later, again as an unheralded backup.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Teo wrote:Another backup QB I think was Jeff Rutledge. After going to the SuperBowl as a rookie with the Rams, many also didn’t knew he was still active and had that key 4th down play with the Giants in Super Bowl XXI. Then he won another ring with the Redskins 5 years later, again as an unheralded backup.
I always confused Jeff Rutledge with his brother Gary, as both were QBs at Alabama. One thing I remembered about Jeff was I thought he had been retired for years, and then he pops up out of nowhere with the Redskins and has a huge game against the Lions in 1990. And then he disappeared again. Such a strange career. He was basically an option QB at Alabama, too.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Teo wrote:Mark Brunell with the 2009 Saints, in his 16th NFL season....
That's a good one, Teo.
Reminded me of Bernie Kosar getting a ring with the Cowboys.
While not "role players" it was nice to see ex-Brownies Bernie and Ernie (Byner) eventually get their rings.
superbowlfanatic

Post by superbowlfanatic »

Teo wrote:Mark Brunell with the 2009 Saints, in his 16th NFL season. He even got to start the last game of the season after not throwing a pass in his first two years in New Orleans. I bet many didn’t think at the time that he was still active.

Another backup QB I think was Jeff Rutledge. After going to the SuperBowl as a rookie with the Rams, many also didn’t knew he was still active and had that key 4th down play with the Giants in Super Bowl XXI. Then he won another ring with the Redskins 5 years later, again as an unheralded backup.
I met Mark Brunell a few years ago the night before a Super Bowl. I asked him, "Hey, weren't you Garrett Hartley's holder in Super Bowl 44?" He was slightly amused.

Many years before that, I was able to contact the NFL's Media Relations Dept., because in the annual Postseason Media Guides/Super Bowl All-Time Rosters, they had Rutledge listed as a DNP for SB 21. I convinced them to change that designation, as per that notable play. Rutledge told me that he appreciated that!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Getting a ring for the Packers probably wont help Andre Rison make the HOF, though it could but I was happy for him knowing how good a player he was. The Packers should have kept him but naturally allowed Brooks to get his starting job back so Rison deserved to start somewhere else.

Nice to see Ken Dilger the former Colt and Keenan McCardell get rings for the 2002/03 champion Bucs, though McCardell was more than just a role player, joining his 3rd career team at that point.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

JuggernautJ wrote:
Teo wrote:Mark Brunell with the 2009 Saints, in his 16th NFL season....
That's a good one, Teo.
Reminded me of Bernie Kosar getting a ring with the Cowboys.
While not "role players" it was nice to see ex-Brownies Bernie and Ernie (Byner) eventually get their rings.
Bernie did so much for the Browns ... yeah, it was nice to see that.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

Brian wolf wrote:Getting a ring for the Packers probably wont help Andre Rison make the HOF, though it could but I was happy for him knowing how good a player he was. The Packers should have kept him but naturally allowed Brooks to get his starting job back so Rison deserved to start somewhere else.

Nice to see Ken Dilger the former Colt and Keenan McCardell get rings for the 2002/03 champion Bucs, though McCardell was more than just a role player, joining his 3rd career team at that point.
Rison would go on to be part of the Grey Cup champions in 2004, too.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Brian wolf wrote:Getting a ring for the Packers probably wont help Andre Rison make the HOF, though it could but I was happy for him knowing how good a player he was. The Packers should have kept him but naturally allowed Brooks to get his starting job back so Rison deserved to start somewhere else.

The Packers cut Rison after their Super Bowl win because he was a bad influence on their young receivers. Not surprising, since he was known for frequently being late to meetings when he wasn't missing them entirely and for very often running the wrong route. When a guy with his skills plays for 7 different teams in 13 seasons, there's usually a reason.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Not a role player, but I was very happy to see Wade Wilson get a ring at the age of 36 for the 1995 Dallas Cowboys.

He was in his 14th NFL season. Had some moments here and there, quality backup who was a hard worker and did well for Minny when called upon between 1985-1989 (22-11 in games he started)
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Nice to see former Dolphins, Larry Izzo and Terrell Buckley get rings with the Patriots in 2001/02