2021 Hall of Very Good Finalists

Gary Najman

Re: 2021 Hall of Very Good Finalists

Post by Gary Najman »

Great list as usual. There is not a first-timer eligible (Bavaro and Kenn are in their second try, first-timers Gary Clark, Chris Hinton, Jim Lachey, Wilber Marshall, Jay Novacek and Bart Oates didn't make the cut). It will both fun and hard to choose only 10.
Last edited by Gary Najman on Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

In addition to the list of each Class (by year) for new members of the Hall of the Very Good, is there an overall alphabetical list of all the members with the year they were inducted? It is is on the site I keep missing it.
IrishJimmy

Post by IrishJimmy »

I love Jones in that he led the Colts to 3 Division Titles in a row. He was also a league MVP. I agree it was short-lived but injuries derailed him. Belichick argued that he was the best pure passer he ever saw. That is good enough for me. I would also have Theismann on the list too.
racepug

Post by racepug »

I nominated players who were rather obscure or were ones that I figured people had forgotten about but. . .Tony Latone? I've never heard that name before.
racepug

Post by racepug »

sluggermatt15 wrote:Please do not forget to vote on the above finalists for this year's HOVG Class.
When do we get to vote? How does it work? How many nominees can we vote for?
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

RRMarshall wrote:In addition to the list of each Class (by year) for new members of the Hall of the Very Good, is there an overall alphabetical list of all the members with the year they were inducted? It is is on the site I keep missing it.
https://www.profootballresearchers.org/ ... -good.html
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I am confident that Gary Clark will get in soon enough. A big play talent. Was looking at the stats of former Chicago Cardinal receiver Mal Kutner. Would have been in the HOF if he played four more years. Had 14 TD catches in one season. Also had 13 interceptions as a DB ...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

sluggermatt15 wrote:The HOVG Committee is pleased to announce the following twenty finalists for the 2021 HOVG Class.

Grady Alderman
Mark Bavaro
Matt Blair
George Christensen
Earl Faison
Russ Francis
Bert Jones
Mike Kenn
Tony Latone
Stanley Morgan
John Niland
Buster Ramsey
Otto Schnellbacher
Clark Shaughnessy
Bill Stanfill
Mike Stratton
Jeff van Note
Bob Vogel
Russ Washington
Abe Woodson
Of the people on the list, I think very few of them would have been considered the very best or second best player at their position...truly elite talents. I would say Mark Bavaro, Bert Jones, Mike Kenn and Russ Francis stand out from the rest in terms of sheer ability. Stanley Morgan had a big year in 1986, and Abe Woodson for a time was the best kick returner.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Coach Troup would know the answer but I believe Abe Woodson either started or popularized the bump-and-run coverage technique, though with Dick "Nighttrain" Lane, you never know ... Raymond Berry thought Woodson was the best corner he ever faced ...
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Bryan wrote: Of the people on the list, I think very few of them would have been considered the very best or second best player at their position...truly elite talents.
"elite talent" sounds subjective enough to debate all day, but I'll bite on very best or second best player at their position. I think the following are in the conversation:

-Christensen at T

-Latone at WB

Speaking of Coach Troupe, I think he would say Otto Schnellbacher at DB.

Buster Ramsey at Guard in the '40s is probably in the conversation too.
Last edited by TanksAndSpartans on Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.