USFL to return in 2022

RyanChristiansen

USFL to return in 2022

Post by RyanChristiansen »

"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Oszuscik

Re: USFL to return in 2022

Post by Oszuscik »

Cool! Unlike either of the XFLs or the American Alliance whatever league this peeks my interest. It'll be neat to see what teams they bring back and what the league looks like compared to the original.
single wing

Post by single wing »

I would not at this point get all excited about this league. Its the brainchild of the owner of the Spring League. Players in the Spring League do not get paid but pay $2,000 for the right to get on the field thereby getting TV coverage. In essence a football player pays for the hope that someone will notice them. The league has less money then the AAF or XFL did at this stage of the planning. It appears it might just be a renaming of the Spring teams by calling them the New Jersey Generals or the Michigan Panthers. Nobody at this point knows if they are really going to play in those towns since the players are the ones really footing the bills.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Did anybody else like any of the uniforms in the original USFL? I liked several - the Michigan Panthers' (I LOVED that they used "plum"), the Baltimore/Philadelphia Stars', the Oklahoma Outlaws', to name a few. But probably my favorite USFL uniform was that of the Arizona Wranglers!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I liked the Chicago Blitz that first year. I thought Allen's team was going to win it all but Anthony Carter was unstoppable for the Panthers. With both the USFL and the NFL, he belongs in the HOVG in my view ...
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote:I liked the Chicago Blitz that first year. I thought Allen's team was going to win it all but Anthony Carter was unstoppable for the Panthers. With both the USFL and the NFL, he belongs in the HOVG in my view ...
I have no idea how that scrawny little guy did so well in a league filled with behemoths, but he did!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thats the thing about Carter. He should have caught more passes his first two or three years in the NFL but I believe the Vikings coaches didnt think he could handle the pounding being what, 166 lbs ? Not to mention the team liked throwing to the running backs rather than running them into the line. When Carter had that huge game against the 49ers in the playoffs, he finally started being more of a focal point in their offense. This Viking team from 1986-1992 could have won it all but there were so many tough NFC teams.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I had season tickets to the Oakland Invaders... I would love to see them come back...

However (and not to be overly political) I don't watch any of the Fox channels so I would have to take a pass on this new incarnation of the USFL. It's a shame, really. But that's what happens when you choose the wrong business partners...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Another thing about Anthony Carter; when the USFL folded, his rights sent him to the Dolphins in 1985 but he was traded to the Vikings. With the underrated Nat Moore closer to retirement, could you imagine Marino throwing to Carter in the slot with the Marks Bros outside for the next eight seasons ?
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Brian wolf wrote:Another thing about Anthony Carter; when the USFL folded, his rights sent him to the Dolphins in 1985 but he was traded to the Vikings. With the underrated Nat Moore closer to retirement, could you imagine Marino throwing to Carter in the slot with the Marks Bros outside for the next eight seasons ?
The Dolphins selected Carter in the 12tnh round of the 1983 NFL Draft, then in 1985 traded his rights to the Vikings for linebacker Robin Sendlein, who only started 12 games in three seasons for Miami.