The best immobile(?) quarterbacks

Ronfitch

Re: The best immobile quarterbacks

Post by Ronfitch »

racepug wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure how you define "immobile," exactly. I mean, when I think of (standout) "immobile quarterbacks" the very first guy who pops into my head is Dan Marino. Second is Dan Fouts.
Bernie Kosar comes to mind.

To be honest, comedian Drew Carey's bit in which he taps the microphone stand (with the heavy, circular base) so that it wobbles heavily and slowly until is stops upright and Carey says, "Hey ... Bernie Kosar eluding the rush" comes to mind.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Brian wolf

Re: The best immobile(?) quarterbacks

Post by Brian wolf »

Kosar is to QBs as Marchibroda is to Head Coaches ... winners with losing records ...
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Have to mention Ken O'Brien. He was scary immobile (he didn't look like he would be that) but even in his early years he had no escapability, no elusiveness. But a good accurate thrower with a big arm (but not a quick release)
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Brian wolf wrote:With players Tarkenton, Flatley, Mason, Brown and Phillips the Vikings had an exciting offense under Van Brocklin but he just couldnt build a defense. With Atlanta, he never had a QB and his coaching career ended by 1974. A salty SOB, he was a great thrower and underrated player who was the first NFL QB to win seperate championship games with different teams, followed by Peyton Manning and Brady.

Bob Berry was a perfectly adequate QB and NVB was a fool to trade him back to Minnesota. Bob Lee’s hot streak in 1973 made the deal look pretty good for a couple of months but Berry was a much better player.
Brian wolf wrote:Had Brocklin coached the Eagles, like he had been promised after the 1960 championship season, QB Jurgensen might have won a championship himself but who knows ?
Doubtful. The Dutchman likely would have made Sonny’s life miserable and his brilliant 1961 performance would have suffered accordingly. NVB was a football genius but he had no ability to control his temper and mood swings. His teams performed in the exact image of their head coach; erratically.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Your argument for Berry is good JohnH19 but he may have needed more weapons in Atlanta. I only saw him on NFL Films but according to John Maxymuk, was sacked alot throughout his career, due to height or mobility issues. Playing in a tough division with the 49ers and Rams didnt help either. By the early 70s the coaching grind may have been too much for Brocklin, though I still believe he should have been the Eagles HC in 1961. I believe the players, including Jurgensen would have won for him ...