The best immobile(?) quarterbacks

RyanChristiansen

The best immobile(?) quarterbacks

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Which immobile quarterbacks have been the most productive?

Here are the results of a Stathead query for quarterbacks with less than 48 rushing attempts per season and with greater than 200 yards per game, sorted by the most number of seasons that meet these criteria:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (73.03 KiB) Viewed 17450 times
Surprises? For me, it's Brett Favre. For whatever reason, I've always thought of Brett Favre as a mobile quarterback, but I guess that's just a reflection of his ability to move around in and out of the pocket before throwing the ball.
Last edited by RyanChristiansen on Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Sonny9

Re: The best immobile quarterbacks

Post by Sonny9 »

I think mobile means they'll roll out and move to avoid a rush and not necessarily run. Tarkenton averaged 37.5 rushes per season (675/18) and 191 yards per game. He was one of the most mobile quarterbacks imo.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Ben Roethlisberger is not an immobile QB. Look at his career highlights.

Neither was Brett Favre.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Yeah, I'm not sure how you define "immobile," exactly. I mean, when I think of (standout) "immobile quarterbacks" the very first guy who pops into my head is Dan Marino. Second is Dan Fouts.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

racepug wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure how you define "immobile," exactly. I mean, when I think of (standout) "immobile quarterbacks" the very first guy who pops into my head is Dan Marino. Second is Dan Fouts.
Peyton Manning was very immobile. So was Drew Bledsoe. I'd call Brady and Brees immobile as well.
RyanChristiansen

Sonny9 wrote:I think mobile means they'll roll out and move to avoid a rush and not necessarily run. Tarkenton averaged 37.5 rushes per season (675/18) and 191 yards per game. He was one of the most mobile quarterbacks imo.
“Immobile” was a poor word choice, I agree. Non-running quarterbacks? Hard to define.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
rhickok1109

Re: The best immobile(?) quarterbacks

Post by rhickok1109 »

Longevity can also skew the stats because QBs who were mobile when younger are likely to become less mobile over time.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

rhickok1109 wrote:Longevity can also skew the stats because QBs who were mobile when younger are likely to become less mobile over time.

I dunno. Mobility was no problem with Stanley “Shifty Stash” Brzenczyszczykiewicz during the latter part of his storied pro career, though it did lead to some major rule changes.
“Shifty Stash” Brzenczyszczykiewicz.jpg
“Shifty Stash” Brzenczyszczykiewicz.jpg (30.78 KiB) Viewed 17366 times
RyanChristiansen

Based on some of the discussion, I've modified the query. Here is a list of quarterbacks who, during their first five seasons, averaged 200 or more yards passing per game with an interception percentage of 5% or less while rushing 2 times or less per game. In other words, these might be either the most calm, cool, and collected quarterbacks during their first five seasons, or they had the best offensive lines during those seasons, or both.

Wow! Mark Bulger tops the list. During the seasons 2002-2006, he had a 36-24-0 record with the St. Louis Rams.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (71.41 KiB) Viewed 17364 times
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Namath the most famous but also Norm Van Brocklin, who coach George Halas thought ran like a girl ... haha