Big Ben-era Steelers HOF

74_75_78_79_

Big Ben-era Steelers HOF

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

What Steelers from 2004 - present do you think will make the Hall? And of those, who will be first-ballot?

Who will have to settle for....HOVG?

I personally think the one who will always be overlooked, will be #91 Aaron Smith. He may not ever even make HOVG! Eating up blockers, no real glamorous stats, will keep him in historic anonymity outside the 'Burgh. Hinesy ought to make it in but not first-ballot, I bet, being that he (actually liked to) block too much - not garnering the primadonna-like WR-stats. Heath Miller may be another victim as well (maybe not ever making the Hall at all) for the same reason. Troy ought to get in first-ballot. Big Ben will get in, but not right away. Perhaps a three-year wait for him being that he was (fair or not, overshadowed) in the same era as Brady, Manning, Brees, etc. Thoughts?
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisBabcock

Re: Big Ben-era Steelers HOF

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Ben, Polamalu and Harrison should all be considered. I don't think any of them are locks to get in though. Definitely not Harrison IMO. Bettis played in the beginning part of this era and I think he's definitely HOF worthy.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Ward I think will get in within 3-5 years. Even though he didn't quite have the stats of Chad 85, Moss or Owens, he also didn't bring the emotional baggage those guys brought to their teams, and he was a solid team leader. Also, he was a Super Bowl MVP, and has two more rings than the three of them combined.

Roethlisberger is a guy whose case I made a month or so back, but he has two rings and one of them was for leading a come from behind win over the Cards in the final minute of regulation. The fact that he is in his 11th season and has been pretty healthy means he will put up very nice career stats but not stats in the Peyton/Brady/Brees range. Roethlisberger is very similar statistically to Philip Rivers except for the two rings, which puts Ben above HOVG (which I think is where Rivers will wind up unless he wins a couple Super Bowls himself). I doubt either Ward or Big Ben will be a first ballot choice.

I think Troy Polamalu will wind up in Canton also, along with Bettis, and Bill Cowher.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Rupert Patrick wrote:Ward I think will get in within 3-5 years. Even though he didn't quite have the stats of Chad 85, Moss or Owens, he also didn't bring the emotional baggage those guys brought to their teams, and he was a solid team leader. Also, he was a Super Bowl MVP, and has two more rings than the three of them combined.

Roethlisberger is a guy whose case I made a month or so back, but he has two rings and one of them was for leading a come from behind win over the Cards in the final minute of regulation. The fact that he is in his 11th season and has been pretty healthy means he will put up very nice career stats but not stats in the Peyton/Brady/Brees range. Roethlisberger is very similar statistically to Philip Rivers except for the two rings, which puts Ben above HOVG (which I think is where Rivers will wind up unless he wins a couple Super Bowls himself). I doubt either Ward or Big Ben will be a first ballot choice.

I think Troy Polamalu will wind up in Canton also, along with Bettis, and Bill Cowher.
Yeah, Rivers may end up being one of those 'should-be' in Canton but never will. As much as Ben will always get historically 'pushed-aside' by the likes of Peyton, Brady, Brees, it seems like Rivers will get shoved-aside by Ben due to Ben winning 2/3 SBs whereas Rivers never even made it to one. Rivers is the Ken Anderson of this era; agree? As much a beast Harrison has been in this Steelers era and also his 'comeback' year this very year, I don't think he'll ever be considered as unfair I think it may be. Maybe if this era's Steelers would have won vs Green Bay or at least back-to-back one time (or beat the Pats just a tad more), perhaps the gates would be open for more to eventually make it or even get in first-ballot instead of ever having to wait. In either event, I think the rock of this current '04-to-present run, Aaron Smith, will never have his name called; even in the name of HOVG!

Another blocker-eater, Casey Hampton, will be overlooked as well (certainly not even HOVG). Yes, he's no Vince Wilfork (who should make the Hall), but still.....
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Ward I think will get in within 3-5 years.

I completely forgot about him for some reason. He becomes the greatest WR in history if the forward pass never got legalized. (for his downfield blocking)
conace21

Post by conace21 »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
Ward I think will get in within 3-5 years.

I completely forgot about him for some reason. He becomes the greatest WR in history if the forward pass never got legalized. (for his downfield blocking)
Alan Faneca should definitely be considered. I checked PFR and was surprised to find he was an AP 1st Team All Pro SIX times.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

Faneca, Troy, Bettis, Ben, Hines.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Interesting topic. I echo the comment about Aaron Smith...he was extremely important to the overall success of the defense, and he played probably the least glamorous position (strongside 3-4 DE). The Steelers had a lot of guys who weren't really household names but were consistently good for several years. Casey Hampton and Heath Miller were two of my favorites.

But since we are talking about HOF, none of those guys get in.

Harrison doesn't have enough on his resume for me, and I don't think he should get in when guys like Kevin Greene are on the waiting list.

Hines Ward is kind of like Art Monk to me...a tough player who is a great blocker and will do the things to help you win, but still a complimentary WR to a #1 guy. Maybe my perception is wrong since Ward did lead the Steelers in receiving 6 times, but I always thought guys like Burress and Holmes were more dynamic. Whatever ring of honor the Steelers have would be great for Ward, but I wouldn't put him in Canton.

Bettis and Cowher are borderline guys who I can see going into the HOF, but I wouldn't cry over their exclusion.

Troy Polamalu is one of the best safeties I've ever seen. He was a playmaker who moved at warp speed. Some of the recent safeties brought up in the HOF discussion couldn't hold a candle to Polamalu (Darren Woodson, John Lynch). Leroy Butler and Brian Dawkins were fine players, but Polamalu had to be accounted for on every play. I think he's the best safety since the Lott/Easley days, but thats JMO. He's a first ballot guy in my book.

I think Alan Faneca is a HOFer. Maybe a bit forgotten, but he was regarded as the best run-blocker in the league during the 2000's, and he was probably the 2nd best OG of his era behind Steve Hutchinson. Its interesting to compare Faneca to Will Shields, because Faneca has a big edge in All Pros while Shields has the big edge in pro bowls.

I've always admired Ben Roethlisberger. He can make things happen on his own. This is probably a terrible comparison, but Roethlisberger is like Bob Griese. Might not have the gaudiest numbers, but he make big plays with his ability to move and his quick thinking. I think Roethlisberger will be a borderline HOF choice like Griese, with the two championships possibly deciding the issue.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Bryan wrote:Interesting topic. I echo the comment about Aaron Smith...he was extremely important to the overall success of the defense, and he played probably the least glamorous position (strongside 3-4 DE). The Steelers had a lot of guys who weren't really household names but were consistently good for several years. Casey Hampton and Heath Miller were two of my favorites.

But since we are talking about HOF, none of those guys get in.

Harrison doesn't have enough on his resume for me, and I don't think he should get in when guys like Kevin Greene are on the waiting list.

Hines Ward is kind of like Art Monk to me...a tough player who is a great blocker and will do the things to help you win, but still a complimentary WR to a #1 guy. Maybe my perception is wrong since Ward did lead the Steelers in receiving 6 times, but I always thought guys like Burress and Holmes were more dynamic. Whatever ring of honor the Steelers have would be great for Ward, but I wouldn't put him in Canton.

Bettis and Cowher are borderline guys who I can see going into the HOF, but I wouldn't cry over their exclusion.

Troy Polamalu is one of the best safeties I've ever seen. He was a playmaker who moved at warp speed. Some of the recent safeties brought up in the HOF discussion couldn't hold a candle to Polamalu (Darren Woodson, John Lynch). Leroy Butler and Brian Dawkins were fine players, but Polamalu had to be accounted for on every play. I think he's the best safety since the Lott/Easley days, but thats JMO. He's a first ballot guy in my book.

I think Alan Faneca is a HOFer. Maybe a bit forgotten, but he was regarded as the best run-blocker in the league during the 2000's, and he was probably the 2nd best OG of his era behind Steve Hutchinson. Its interesting to compare Faneca to Will Shields, because Faneca has a big edge in All Pros while Shields has the big edge in pro bowls.

I've always admired Ben Roethlisberger. He can make things happen on his own. This is probably a terrible comparison, but Roethlisberger is like Bob Griese. Might not have the gaudiest numbers, but he make big plays with his ability to move and his quick thinking. I think Roethlisberger will be a borderline HOF choice like Griese, with the two championships possibly deciding the issue.
Big Ben did not have big numbers the first few years of his career, but I don't think you can say that anymore. He's the only QB to have multiple 500 yard passing games, and to have consecutive games with 6 TD passes.
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

Faneca, Troy P, and Big Ben all get in. So does Bettis.

Since he was mentioned earlier I'd put Rivers in as well.