What will the Redskins new name be?

lastcat3

Re: What will the Redskins new name be?

Post by lastcat3 »

With them coming up with a new name already I bet you they had planned for this to happen eventually and had long since decided on a replacement name.

My bet is the Warriors.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

lastcat3 wrote:With them coming up with a new name already I bet you they had planned for this to happen eventually and had long since decided on a replacement name.

My bet is the Warriors.
I never really like the alliteration of that sort with the one exception of Buffalo Bills. Washington Wizards always sounds forced to me and I think Warriors would as well. Also would they want a nickname already owned by another professional team, I think that comes into play, only the Giants and Cards - off the top of my head - share a name with another major sports team and they have held those names forever.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

NWebster wrote: I never really like the alliteration of that sort with the one exception of Buffalo Bills. Washington Wizards always sounds forced to me and I think Warriors would as well. Also would they want a nickname already owned by another professional team, I think that comes into play, only the Giants and Cards - off the top of my head - share a name with another major sports team and they have held those names forever.
I'm not excited by that possibility for the same reasons. I kinda like reviving the (Canton) Bulldogs name. We'll soon know for sure.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I only want that the new name is in plural,finishing with an "s", as with the rest of the NFL teams (not like NBA names as Heat, Magic, Thunder and Jazz).
Last edited by Gary Najman on Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

JohnR wrote: I'm not excited by that possibility for the same reasons. I kinda like reviving the (Canton) Bulldogs name. We'll soon know for sure.
Oh really? Soon??? The guy who copyrighted all those names did it for a big payday. He's dealing with Dan Snyder so this could go on forever. Good thing we won't have football this year because it's possible Washington won't have a name until next year. (This is what sheltering does...you end up talking to yourself)
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Much, much bigger fish to fry thus bigger things to worry of; especially these times. For starters, they never should have been called 'Redskins' in the first place (same with using that Cleveland Indians logo that they used all that time). Yes, myself and many, many others would call them 'Redskins' sometimes in convo if not say 'Washington'; but just for conversational "so used to it" convenience. Any 'beef' I may have with them changing it is simply that it should have been done much, much longer ago instead of suddenly now with political correctness at an (by far and away) all-time high. Should have happened so much sooner before such a PC-tsumani was ever upon us. Better very, very late than never, I suppose.

As for what their new name should be? No, not 'Braves' though it was what they were originally called (and 'Braves' not offensive at all to me; same with 'Chiefs' amongst others), but how about something totally different thus different logo/team colors? And to add even more of a 'different' twist to it all...name them 'District of Columbia' instead of 'Washington' being that all other major sports teams from there are named 'Washington'. And, of course, 'DC' can be short for it. DC Destroyers, DC Warriors, DC Democracy, etc. I mean if you're going to change it, change it the whole way. But, of course, keep and include old 'Redskins' records, Ring of Honor, etc all within franchise history/canon.

Now changing the Edmonton Eskimos name...(God forgive me if I am wrong)...I see no reason at all for that. Was it ever even considered historically?
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

Hogs would be a good fit.
Retro Rider

Re: What will the Redskins new name will be

Post by Retro Rider »

74_75_78_79_ wrote: Now changing the Edmonton Eskimos name...(God forgive me if I am wrong)...I see no reason at all for that. Was it ever even considered historically?
The official announcement came today:

Edmonton CFL team will officially change its name

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.5657661

"The team said the green-and-gold team colours and the EE logo will be part of the discussions.

In the meantime, the club will use the names EE Football Team and Edmonton Football Team."

The current Eskimos club has been around since 1949. The original Edmonton Eskimos changed their name to the Edmonton Elks in 1922:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Stats_Junkie ... 2999929857
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Retro Rider wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote: Now changing the Edmonton Eskimos name...(God forgive me if I am wrong)...I see no reason at all for that. Was it ever even considered historically?

"The team said the green-and-gold team colours and the EE logo will be part of the discussions

The EE logo looks like a fork drawer. Never was a fan. Guess if they're really attached to it...how about Edmonton Ermine?
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

JohnR wrote:
Retro Rider wrote:

"The team said the green-and-gold team colours and the EE logo will be part of the discussions

The EE logo looks like a fork drawer. Never was a fan. Guess if they're really attached to it...how about Edmonton Ermine?
You're the first one to suggest Ermine! The Edmonton EE's eh? The top 4 replacement names appear to be Elks, Empire, Energy and Express (former Eskimos coach Hugh Campbell coached the Los Angeles Express in 1983). Edmonton tweaked their EE logo in 1996 ... I liked the 1965-95 "EE" better. I'm a Saskatchewan fan but I've always had respect for Edmonton's history of success. They've been a class organization for years.
s-l1600 (8).jpg
s-l1600 (8).jpg (34.49 KiB) Viewed 18270 times
heaving-a-sigh-of-relief-edmonton-eskimos-head-coach-neill.jpeg
heaving-a-sigh-of-relief-edmonton-eskimos-head-coach-neill.jpeg (27.84 KiB) Viewed 18270 times