That Catch

LJP

That Catch

Post by LJP »

If Dwight Clark has "The Catch", then Giants WR Odell Beckham should get "That Catch"...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... f-all-time

Just the most extraordinary reception you are ever likely to see.
SixtiesFan

Re: That Catch

Post by SixtiesFan »

Has anyone besides me noticed that today's players wear gloves (in all weather) and receivers of the past did not? And these gloves are designed specifically for catching the football?
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I half expected Al Michaels to repeat his famous "He did what!?!?" line from a few years back when Antonio Freeman made a smiliarly amazing catch.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

No doubt this can go into the "What a catch" category.
It was truly an outstanding display of physical ability, dexterity, and presence of mind.
You might also credit the young man for his humility and deference to his Mother - things all too rare today.

Another bit of credit goes to the official - perfectly positioned and focused and able to make both calls:
the interference and the touchdown.

But, in spite of all these accolades, it is hardly the greatest catch ever.
(In fact, there was a better catch earlier this season.)

It takes more than physical accomplishment for a "great" catch.

This was just another meaningless LOSS in a season the Giants and their fans would rather forget.

And, before we forget, the Dwight Clark catch may be great for the 49ers but not for history.

The Max McGee catch was every bit as good in far more meaningful and stressful circumstances.
Consider what he did: he looked back, never broke stride, reached behind him,
ignored potential collision, and gathered the football before turning to face forward again.
All things you try and try to teach but cannot.
There is little doubt that the athlete CAN do it. There is great doubt that he will do it - especially in a clutch situation.
And Max was a tad beyond his "prime."

So, after the Mcgee catch, everything else can be ranked in an order chosen by any particualr grader.

But, "THE CATCH" - always and forever - will be Willie Mays World Series catch
of the Vic Wertz liner - and his stop, turn and throw that followed.

Amen.
Attachments
The Catch.jpg
The Catch.jpg (91.31 KiB) Viewed 21005 times
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

oldecapecod 11 wrote: And, before we forget, the Dwight Clark catch may be great for the 49ers but not for history.

The Max McGee catch was every bit as good in far more meaningful and stressful circumstances.
If McGee drops that pass from Starr, I would guess the Packers still go on to defeat the Chiefs. If Clark doesn't catch Montana's pass, there is a pretty good chance the Niners lose that game.

Beckham's catch was remarkable. What stood out to me was the arm/hand strength to control the ball after having to reach back that far.

If we are looking for the perfect convergence of difficulty, meaning, and "stressful circumstance", I would offer either Harlon Hill's 1956 'triple bobble' TD catch at the end of a tie with the Giants or Jack Snow's 'back half of the ball' catch against the Colts to force a 24-24 tie in 1967. The 11-1-2 Rams played the 11-2-1 Colts twice that year, and in those two games Jack Snow had only 4 catches...for 231 yards and 3 TDs.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Bryan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:47 pm
"...If McGee drops that pass from Starr, I would guess the Packers still go on to defeat the Chiefs. If Clark doesn't catch Montana's pass, there is a pretty good chance the Niners lose that game..."

And therein lies the rub. You would have to "guess" but no one will ever know for sure - nor do we need to know.
The Clark "catch" was not much beyond routine.
The fact that Montana found him and threw to him is what is remarkable. He was not the primary receiver.

The best part of these pass / catch / run / whatever stories is that they can go on forever with no clear "winner."

The Mays catch stands alone.
(And, No; I'm a Yankees fan. We had a four-team household growing up. My Father was the Giants fan.)
(I wish it was Joe or even "the Mick" that made that catch but it was not. Willie did it. Say Hey!)
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

oldecapecod 11 wrote:And therein lies the rub. You would have to "guess" but no one will ever know for sure - nor do we need to know.
You mentioned that McGee's catch was made in a far more stressful circumstance than Clark's...I think a 3rd down TD catch while down 27-21 with under 1 minute left is more stressful than a TD catch in the first quarter of a scoreless game. Thats all I was trying say. The circumstance was more important than my prediction.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Bryan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:44 pm
"...I think a 3rd down TD catch while down 27-21 with under 1 minute left is more stressful than a TD catch in the first quarter of a scoreless game. Thats all I was trying say. The circumstance was more important than my prediction."

That's the fun of this stuff?

How about: An old man running a broken pattern catches a poorly-thrown pass and slow-foots his way to a touchdown.
See Chiefies; no matter how we do it, we can still beat you. Tone set!
(Without looking... if I recall, McGee was not even supposed to be in there?)

Meanwhile, fast forward...
On 4th down, Montana can't find anyone open and scoots to his left for a touchdown. Legacy enhanced even more!
~ Arnie Weinmeister
King Kong

Post by King Kong »

SixtiesFan wrote:Has anyone besides me noticed that today's players wear gloves (in all weather) and receivers of the past did not? And these gloves are designed specifically for catching the football?
There is a sticky, tacky material on the gloves. I don't know if Beckham Jr., could have made the same catch without those gloves.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

SixtiesFan wrote:Has anyone besides me noticed that today's players wear gloves (in all weather) and receivers of the past did not? And these gloves are designed specifically for catching the football?
Yup, this was brought up on the old forum, I believe it was a "greatest hands" thread. I argued against players that wear gloves being on the list, especially the last 15 or so years as the gloves have improved and now the gloves catch the ball, not ones actual hands.

My friends that play semi-pro and the ones who play adult flag football all wear them and the ball just sticks to the glove, you literally just have to throw up a hand and it'll stick. Then for players with great hands w/o gloves, the gloves take them to some next level over great.

In Beckham's case I don't think it makes the catch any less impressive, since it took great athleticism, still had to track the ball and still had to have great hands to catch it with essentially three fingers, though there is a significantly high chance that he wouldn't have made the actual reception without wearing gloves that the ball sticks to.