Ed Budde: HOFer?

DukeSlater

Re: Ed Budde: HOFer?

Post by DukeSlater »

I am not condoning what Tyrer did, either. But from what I read, he did suffer from depression, due to failed business ventures, etc. The guy was 41-years-old when he took the life of his wife and himself. You don’t think head trauma could have played a mammoth, colossal, gargantuan part in that, even back then?

Besides, my post was about Ed Budde......
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

DukeSlater wrote: Besides, my post was about Ed Budde......
Yes, well.... internet.

Re: Budde (to get back on topic) this is bio from the HoVG:
Kansas City Chiefs 1963-1976
Played in two Super Bowls including win over Vikings in SB IV. Selected to five AFL All-Star games and two Pro Bowls. Chiefs led league in rushing yards three times and yards per carry twice during his career. Played in every game from 1963 to 1973.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ddEd00.htm

The Stram-era Chiefs have a special place in my heart so I wouldn't mind seeing more of them in the Hall of Fame.
Being in the HoVG can sometimes be a precursor to getting into Canton so perhaps there's still a chance...
(Johnny Robinson just got in.)
DukeSlater

Post by DukeSlater »

That response was meant for Jay Z.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

DukeSlater wrote:I am not condoning what Tyrer did, either. But from what I read, he did suffer from depression, due to failed business ventures, etc. The guy was 41-years-old when he took the life of his wife and himself. You don’t think head trauma could have played a mammoth, colossal, gargantuan part in that, even back then?

Besides, my post was about Ed Budde......
OK... as far as Budde goes, seems like he's in a group with Sweeney, John Niland, Gale Gillingham... is Budde better than any of those? Someone is welcome to make the case.

For Tyrer, I will say that I have had friends kill themselves. They were not football players and presumptivevly did not have CTE. Most suicides are not truly hopeless situations, but they are perceived as hopeless by the victims. From description, Tyrer had difficulty adapting to the reality of post football life. Perhaps due to pressures he placed on himself. I don't know why he decided to take his wife with him, that is why he's not in the PFHOF. The suicides I have known were solo ventures.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

SixtiesFan wrote:
Many years ago I read an article by a well-known sportswriter, who was a PFHOF voter. He wrote that HOF voters were "not excited by offensive lineman and defensive backs."
If more than 1 skill player gets in this year---it will be even more proof of that
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Jay Z wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:
Jay Z wrote: If CTE comes with a get out of jail free card...
I'm not suggesting a "get out of jail free card."
I am saying we might exhibit a little understanding in light of recent evidence regarding traumatic brain injuries.

I've heard the HoF credo says induction is based only on what happened on the field.
Tyrer has probably been excluded because of something that happened years later.

Here's a question worth considering.
Had OJ's "legal problems" occurred before he was enshrined in Canton would he still be elected for the Hall of Fame?
I do not think OJ would have been elected had his legal problems occurred before his election. Rules can be changed.

I have re-read about Tyrer and I guess I don't see where CTE played a role in his death. He wasn't wandering around like Mike Webster. Blaming anything and everything on CTE does, yes, make it into a get out of jail free card, and does raise the question of banning the sport if its effects are truly that all encompassing.
What if the murders had occurred in 1982 instead of 1994? Suppose the criminal and civil trials took place in 1983-84? Can you picture O.J. being voted in the HOF in 1985, riding in the parade and making an acceptance speech beside Roger Staubach and Pete Rozelle? Or in any subsequent year?
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I remember when his son Brad played with the Chiefs, and then I learned his father also had played with KC and retired only three years before he was drafted, I didn't believe it. Do you know if it's the shortest gap playing in the NFL between a father and a son?
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Teo wrote:I remember when his son Brad played with the Chiefs, and then I learned his father also had played with KC and retired only three years before he was drafted, I didn't believe it. Do you know if it's the shortest gap playing in the NFL between a father and a son?
No, Ted and Charles Nesser played together on the 1921 Columbus Panhandles.
DukeSlater

Post by DukeSlater »

Brad was born when Ed was 17-years-old and both of his parents were in high school.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

I'd say yes. Budde belongs in Canton.