Ed Budde: HOFer?

DukeSlater

Ed Budde: HOFer?

Post by DukeSlater »

Ed Budde belongs in Canton, in my opinion.

Thoughts?
Bryan

Re: Ed Budde: HOFer?

Post by Bryan »

I guess you can make a case of Budde being at least equally as deserving as Winston Hill. One guy who has impressed me on film is Walt Sweeney of the Chargers. I prefer Sweeney over Budde in terms of HOF-worthy AFL guards, but Sweeney was one of the first to come forward about the Chargers' use of PEDs, and that may have hurt his chances over the years. But I think Sweeney and Budde would be borderline choices. JMO
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Both Sweeney and Budde are in the Hall of (the) Very Good.
And that's probably where they belong.

There's another Chief lineman who belongs in the Hall of Fame but, considering the NFL passed on him during the centennial celebration, I think it unlikely Jim Tyrer will ever reach Canton.
DukeSlater

Post by DukeSlater »

I agree on Sweeney as well. We all know why he will probably never get in Canton.

Tyrer, to me, given what we know now, should be more understood. We all know what head trauma can do to these men.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Talamini might be a better choice ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

DukeSlater wrote:I agree on Sweeney as well. We all know why he will probably never get in Canton.

Tyrer, to me, given what we know now, should be more understood. We all know what head trauma can do to these men.
If CTE comes with a get out of jail free card, then quite simply the sport should be banned. Which would take care of the PFHOF quite nicely, since over time people will lose interest in a sport that is no longer played.

I really don't care if the other murderer, OJ, is in the HOF or not. It is a puny issue. Tyrer is an OL, frankly no one ever went to a game to see him play. I can't understand anyone wasting the energy to stump for him at this point.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Jay Z wrote: If CTE comes with a get out of jail free card...
I'm not suggesting a "get out of jail free card."
I am saying we might exhibit a little understanding in light of recent evidence regarding traumatic brain injuries.

I've heard the HoF credo says induction is based only on what happened on the field.
Tyrer has probably been excluded because of something that happened years later.

Here's a question worth considering.
Had OJ's "legal problems" occurred before he was enshrined in Canton would he still be elected for the Hall of Fame?
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

JuggernautJ wrote:
Jay Z wrote: If CTE comes with a get out of jail free card...
I'm not suggesting a "get out of jail free card."
I am saying we might exhibit a little understanding in light of recent evidence regarding traumatic brain injuries.

I've heard the HoF credo says induction is based only on what happened on the field.
Tyrer has probably been excluded because of something that happened years later.

Here's a question worth considering.
Had OJ's "legal problems" occurred before he was enshrined in Canton would he still be elected for the Hall of Fame?
I do not think OJ would have been elected had his legal problems occurred before his election. Rules can be changed.

I have re-read about Tyrer and I guess I don't see where CTE played a role in his death. He wasn't wandering around like Mike Webster. Blaming anything and everything on CTE does, yes, make it into a get out of jail free card, and does raise the question of banning the sport if its effects are truly that all encompassing.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

My understanding was that Jim Tyrer was often confused and unable to make decisions properly.
He certainly made some poor ones at the end of his life...

I am not promoting a "get out of jail..." approach.
I do not believe crimes should be forgiven simply because one played football.

I do think we should reconsider particular cases as regards evidence and what we now know of CTE.
And that worthiness for the Hall of Fame should be based (mostly) on what happened on the field of play.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Jay Z wrote:
DukeSlater wrote:I agree on Sweeney as well. We all know why he will probably never get in Canton.

If CTE comes with a get out of jail free card, then quite simply the sport should be banned. Which would take care of the PFHOF quite nicely, since over time people will lose interest in a sport that is no longer played.

I really don't care if the other murderer, OJ, is in the HOF or not. It is a puny issue. Tyrer is an OL, frankly no one ever went to a game to see him play. I can't understand anyone wasting the energy to stump for him at this point.
Many years ago I read an article by a well-known sportswriter, who was a PFHOF voter. He wrote that HOF voters were "not excited by offensive lineman and defensive backs."