Who is your team?

Oszuscik

Re: Who is your team?

Post by Oszuscik »

sheajets wrote:Always wondered what the Colts fan was doing 1983-1996? Of course many just cut all ties with the franchise and then sort of went...dormant? Only to resurface again when the Browns moved.

In the interim though, probably just migrated to the Redskins and remained there
Or what Browns fans did after 1995? Your team moves to Baltimore and then becomes a powerhouse for the next two decades. I wonder how many stuck with their "team" after the move, or stuck with their colors once they came back in 1999. I'm sure for the majority it's colors, but still, that's got to sting watching the Raven's success.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Oszuscik wrote:
sheajets wrote:Always wondered what the Colts fan was doing 1983-1996? Of course many just cut all ties with the franchise and then sort of went...dormant? Only to resurface again when the Browns moved.

In the interim though, probably just migrated to the Redskins and remained there
Or what Browns fans did after 1995? Your team moves to Baltimore and then becomes a powerhouse for the next two decades. I wonder how many stuck with their "team" after the move, or stuck with their colors once they came back in 1999. I'm sure for the majority it's colors, but still, that's got to sting watching the Raven's success.
All I know is if that kind of "let's just pretend they're an expansion team" BS happened to me I could not ever fully support the new team which is basically an expansion team playing dress up. Everybody knows the unbroken lineage of the Cleveland Browns goes to Baltimore. They are the Browns. No single persons history is erased because they move to a new city. Neither is a teams

Frankly they should've never waited until 1999. They could absolutely had an expansion Browns put together ready to roll the next year at Cleveland Stadium. It would've softened the blow a lot. So what if you can't find an owner the NFL could operate the team
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Favorite team is actually my high school football team. Grew up across the street from the high school and stadium and my mom took me to games before I can even remember. Then when I was 7 years old we moved to a new house and at that house I could see the stadium and field from my kitchen window and walk into the backyard and watch the games. It went my backyard, a chain-link fence, the field. So I grew up watching, from my backyard, players like Mark Bruener, Corey Dillon, Marcus Trufant and many more from visiting teams and my HS is generally always good so all our memorable local players, as well. Then of course grew up to be the QB for my town and played on the same field. So that's "my" team.

Seahawks obviously my favorite NFL team, grew up 60 miles away from Seattle, only vague memories of being taken to games as a 4-year old in 1987 (have the programs still), more remember sitting in front of the TV but those memories aren't of just watching the Seahawks, if football of any level was on, I watched it. We even got CFL games on "the Canadian channel" as I knew it as, as a kid. If football was being played I watched it.

Seahawks were the obvious choice as favorite because they were closest. So not really a single-season that made me a Seahawks fan, or a football fan. Liked the sport before I remember watching my first Seahawks game.

I did like going to McDonald's and ordering "Largent fries", though. And on the trays there was the cover paper and it was x's and o's so my mom would always have to sit for way too long to be sitting in a McDonald's while I went and grabbed all the tray paper's and drew up plays. Always started by writing "59" at center -because Blair Bush was the Seahawks center- and then would write in the rest of the starters numbers, then draw up pass routes where Krieg was throwing to Largent, or Blades, or Mike Tice. Good times.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Reaser wrote:Favorite team is actually my high school football team....
Ha! Based on earlier posts over the years, I figured you might say that.

While we're on the subject of high school sports, a good friend of mine wrote a book about high school basketball, and in the introduction he said this:

"In terms of value for your entertainment dollar, I still believe you can't beat a good high school basketball game."

When I read that, I thought, substitute "football" for "basketball" and that could be Reaser talking.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Bob Gill wrote:"In terms of value for your entertainment dollar, I still believe you can't beat a good high school basketball game."
Whenever I come across a pure basketball fan, without fail they say something similar.

My area is a football area, where that's what matters. You'll hear student-section chants at basketball games where the losing team's (but won the football game) fans are actually loudest and chanting "what about football?" clap-clap-clap.

Though up in Seattle, that's very much a high school basketball area. The Metro League (Seattle public and private schools) is one of the best HS basketball leagues in the country. Those gyms are always packed with former & current NBA players, all the websites national and local that cover HS sports are always around, all the locals and the old-timers that have been going to games for six-decades. It's a cool mix.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

I remember they were on the brink of moving and...nobody really cared (not that any team should have been moved to St. Louis which is just not a dedicated football town)
That just shows you how they were thought of in the NE/Boston area before this last two decades of nonsense. They were considered the fourth wheel. Not many people cared about them. And, after Belichick leaves (Brady is a cog in the wheel, not the main part. They have had a winning record there with Cassel, Jimmy G, and Brissett starting), it will probably go back to that eventually.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

I've remained loyal to the Browns, even after the move, though I would say the passion has been dulled not only from the Move, but the two decades of incompetence. I have no desire to root for the Steelers or Ravens and will continue to forge ahead. It's somewhat absurd that I can recite the Browns schedules verbatim from roughly 1968-81, yet would struggle to do the same for the past few years. No sign of senility-yet, just longing for a team that's not a perpetual embarrassment.
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

My user name gives it away. I have been a fan of the Philadelphia Eagles since the early 1970s. I have lived through the years of trading away first round picks to Dick Vermeil making this team competitive and reaching the Super Bowl in 1981. Buddy Ryan's era was fun...until the postseason. Andy Reid's tenure was a rollercoaster ride. Finally, a Super Bowl!
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
I remember they were on the brink of moving and...nobody really cared (not that any team should have been moved to St. Louis which is just not a dedicated football town)
That just shows you how they were thought of in the NE/Boston area before this last two decades of nonsense. They were considered the fourth wheel. Not many people cared about them. And, after Belichick leaves (Brady is a cog in the wheel, not the main part. They have had a winning record there with Cassel, Jimmy G, and Brissett starting), it will probably go back to that eventually.
Of course, they were 5-13 with Bledsoe.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Just out of curiosity did anybody else have a dedicated #2 be a college program? For me it was Oklahoma State, strictly because I went there. Whenever a OSU player made it to the Jets I always had a special affinity for them