What SURE future Hall Of Famers are currently in the NFL?

King Kong

Re: What SURE future Hall Of Famers are currently in the NFL

Post by King Kong »

Reaser wrote:I realize this is just for fun, but I personally don't like putting players in the PFHOF until their careers are over, even if they're obvious like Manning or Brady. Plus I can't stand when announcers/media/etc say so and so is a "future hall of famer".

I just think, what if 'we' were doing this list/exercise midway through the 1986 season? The list would include names like Kenny Easley, Lester Hayes, Joe Jacoby, Deron Cherry, Nolan Cromwell, Jimbo Covert, someone might even list Dave Butz, etc ...

For a couple of them people would post how they've already passed the bus test. Fast forward three decades and none of those guys are in the Hall of Fame.

I agree with the premise but not the players you noted. By 1986, Easley would have been like Watt of today but even less so.
King Kong

Post by King Kong »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
Arguments can probably be made for Andre Johnson and Reggie Wayne and Boldin in addition to Fitzgerald, who I think is already across the line.
I'm hesitant to include any WRs on my list. I think part of the reason we have the current logjam at that position is because the voters think WR numbers will continue to get inflated as the years go by, and how will these guys' numbers compare against any future awesome WRs.

I think within 25 years 5000 yard passing seasons and 2000 yard receiving seasons will be "normal".
This is why I did not put Andre Johnson or Reggie Wayne on my list. Neither is better than Marvin Harrison who is having trouble getting in.

I believe Fitzgerald, Steve Smith and Calvin Johnson have already done enough. They look like Hall of Fame receivers and they've played like Hall of Fame receivers. If their career stats are nice, then that is icing on the cake. I don't view Andre Johnson and Reggie Wayne the same way. With them, I HAVE to view stats and All-Pro seasons and compare to contemporaries and think and analyze.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Reaser wrote:I realize this is just for fun, but I personally don't like putting players in the PFHOF until their careers are over, even if they're obvious like Manning or Brady. Plus I can't stand when announcers/media/etc say so and so is a "future hall of famer".

I just think, what if 'we' were doing this list/exercise midway through the 1986 season? The list would include names like Kenny Easley, Lester Hayes, Joe Jacoby, Deron Cherry, Nolan Cromwell, Jimbo Covert, someone might even list Dave Butz, etc ...

For a couple of them people would post how they've already passed the bus test. Fast forward three decades and none of those guys are in the Hall of Fame.
Very good point.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Nick Mangold is an under the radar guy that's going to make it.
Byron

Post by Byron »

My gut instinct is that Fitzgerald breaks through the logjam at WR and gets in, and rather quickly.

The rest is a good list, but it will be hard to tell just who makes it and who doesn't.
James

Post by James »

My opinion and gut feeling is that both Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald both break the log jam and get in first or second ballot.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Good names so far, agree with many of them.

Don"t remember seeing Darrelle Revis, Jared Allen, Joe Thomas, Julius Peppers, Dwight Freeney, Jahri Evans, Ndamukong Suh, John Abraham, Jason Peters, Earl Thomas, Eric Weddle, Maurkice Pouncey, Patrick Peterson, Richard Sherman, or Aaron Rodgers listed yet. All probably belong in the discussion, though several have only very promising starts so far. In fact, the first five of these have just about punched their tickets in as of now.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Does anybody think that the induction of Ray Guy will mean that Shane Lechler has a chance at the HOF? Fifth all time in career punts, third in career yards, 47.5 average is highest of all time, twice over 50 yards per punt for the season, led the NFL in punting average five times, six times first team all pro. He did derive an advantage from the fact that throughout most of his career he played for terrible teams in Oakland, which left him in bad field position and increased the chance of a long punt. I think a HOF argument can be made for Lechler, but like Ray Guy, he'll probably be an old geezer before he gets in.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
King Kong

Post by King Kong »

bachslunch wrote:Good names so far, agree with many of them.

Don"t remember seeing Darrelle Revis, Jared Allen, Joe Thomas, Julius Peppers, Dwight Freeney, Jahri Evans, Ndamukong Suh, John Abraham, Jason Peters, Earl Thomas, Eric Weddle, Maurkice Pouncey, Patrick Peterson, Richard Sherman, or Aaron Rodgers listed yet. All probably belong in the discussion, though several have only very promising starts so far. In fact, the first five of these have just about punched their tickets in as of now.
Revis played for the Jets too much. He needs more good years with other teams. He couldn't even win the DPOY award when he was the best DPOY in 2009.

Pouncey and Peterson have not really been great for their entire short careers to this point.

I think Freeney was a bit too one-dimensional.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

King Kong wrote:
bachslunch wrote:Good names so far, agree with many of them.

Revis played for the Jets too much. He needs more good years with other teams. He couldn't even win the DPOY award when he was the best DPOY in 2009.

Pouncey and Peterson have not really been great for their entire short careers to this point.

I think Freeney was a bit too one-dimensional.
Freeney is on the 00s all-decade team and has 3 all pro and 7
pro bowls plus a lot of sacks. He may take a while, but I think he gets in . Revis has postseason honors of 4/6, almost certainly makes the 10s all decade team, and has the reputation of being the best cover corner of his time. I think that"s plenty enough for him to get in.