1981 Atlanta Falcons

Gary Najman

1981 Atlanta Falcons

Post by Gary Najman »

I have always wondered why the Falcons didn't make the playoffs a year after many considered them the best team in the regular season? Even at pfr it says that their expected W-L record could have been (rounded) at 10-6, yet they finished at 7-9 (they lost the final three games of the season). I know their defense wasn't that well that in 1980, but something amazing about the Falcons of that time is that most of the players started all 16 games (in defense, per example, DL Jeff Yeates and Don Smith, LBs Al Richardson, Buddy Currry, Fulton Kuykendall and Joel Williams, and DBs Bobby Butler, Kenny Johnson, Tom Pridemore and Bob Glazebrook started all 16 games, only at RDE Jeff Merrow and Wilson Faumuina shared the starting position), and their offense was one of the best in all of the NFL.
BD Sullivan

Re: 1981 Atlanta Falcons

Post by BD Sullivan »

Teo wrote:I have always wondered why the Falcons didn't make the playoffs a year after many considered them the best team in the regular season? Even at pfr it says that their expected W-L record could have been (rounded) at 10-6, yet they finished at 7-9 (they lost the final three games of the season). I know their defense wasn't that well that in 1980, but something amazing about the Falcons of that time is that most of the players started all 16 games (in defense, per example, DL Jeff Yeates and Don Smith, LBs Al Richardson, Buddy Currry, Fulton Kuykendall and Joel Williams, and DBs Bobby Butler, Kenny Johnson, Tom Pridemore and Bob Glazebrook started all 16 games, only at RDE Jeff Merrow and Wilson Faumuina shared the starting position), and their offense was one of the best in all of the NFL.
They lost six games by a field goal or less.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

'81 Falcons quite an interesting study. I remember enough of them being they were a team I really liked. Nice 3-0 start! I do remember, through highlights, they turning their 17-0 deficit into a 31-17 win over GB in Week #2. Watched the Pats/Eagles late game at a friends-of-the-family's house that day but don't remember what early game was on (Steelers got killed at Miami the previous Thurs Night). Don't remember Atl trouncing SF the following week to make things 3-0; and don't think anyone could have possibly made a big deal of it yet saw coming what the loser of that very game (now 1-2) would have in store for the rest of the league there on out.

Losing at Cleveland in Week #4 (Browns now 2-2) couldn't have possibly been seen as a big thing for many may have simply thought Browns started slow yet again as they actually did the year before, also dropping their first two. Losing the following Monday at undefeated Philly couldn't have possibly alarmed Falcon-fans all too much either, especially being Atl gave them a real good game. My guess is by the following week's result, losing at home to Rams although it did give LA a 4-2 record at the time, many may have started to worry.

I specifically remember weeks later going into that game in which they hosted my Steelers (arguably Bradshaw's best ever game), thinking that they clearly weren't what they were last year. I remember my Dad on the phone with someone that following week. He still respecting Atl, he said (paraphrasing), "Pittsburgh's a hard team to bet on! They blow it against Seattle and then they beat Atlanta in Atlanta! How do you figure that out?"

They did indeed suffer many close losses in '81. They did finish 5-4 in that strike-shortened '82 campaign as well as making playoffs. But how would a full-season that year have treated them in Leeman's final year with them? Losing to each of the three playoff-teams they squared off against (all at home) - getting clobbered by a combined 76-21 to both Raiders & Packers - doesn't put such a 'what-if' in their favor. Without looking it up, I forgot exactly if they were in my '82 regular season Power Rankings.

EDIT - actually, Atl did start 3-3 as well in '80. So maybe no worries yet after Rams-loss either. Perhaps another NINE-GAME win-streak was expected! Bennett sitting out his starters, Week #16, because top-seed already in-the-bag (do the math) or trying to play home-field-spoiler to Cincy? Being my Steelers didn't get it done, and Eagles taking their dive as they did, would have liked to see Falcons kick some more butt (hoist Lombardi in Pontiac) in '81.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Regarding the Falcons' cancelled games in 1982:

9/23 at KC (Thursday)
10/3 San Diego
10/10 at Rams
10/17 at Detroit
10/24 SF
10/31
11/7 at Chicago
11/15 Philadelphia (Monday)'

The 10/31 game at New Orleans was their "makeup" game on 1/2/83.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Firing Bennett after '82 was probably the worst mistake the franchise ever made (well, besides sitting on the lead in Supe 51). Of course blowout losses in the last two regular season games probably didn't endear him to Rankin.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Todd Pence wrote:Firing Bennett after '82 was probably the worst mistake the franchise ever made (well, besides sitting on the lead in Supe 51). Of course blowout losses in the last two regular season games probably didn't endear him to Rankin.
I remember reading that when the Falcons held a press conference to announce Bennett's firing, no one had any idea that was the reason for the press conference, including Bennett himself. Not sure if that is a true story, but kind of funny if it did happen.

1980 NFC West wasn't very good. Saints were terrible, Niners were a little better but not much. Falcons beat the Rams on a miracle play in their first meeting and started 5-0 in divisional games. They lost the last week to the Rams after already clinching the division. Falcons went 3-3 in the division in 1981.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Bryan wrote:I remember reading that when the Falcons held a press conference to announce Bennett's firing, no one had any idea that was the reason for the press conference, including Bennett himself. Not sure if that is a true story, but kind of funny if it did happen.
\

Pretty accurate because LeBaron had been complimentary toward Bennett up to that point and owner Rankin Smith had said no changes would be made.

Bennett's bitterness was pretty evident:
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-06-05 at 11.28.52 AM.png
Screenshot 2019-06-05 at 11.28.52 AM.png (233.63 KiB) Viewed 14279 times
JohnBowen

Post by JohnBowen »

I agree that firing Bennett was a mistake. Screamin' Leeman!